Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Undertaken While Both of Us Are Turning Right

• 19-10-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Grrrrrr I'm so annoyed this morning. I was at this junction this morning waiting to turn right onto the main street. There was quite a bit of traffic in both directions so I had to wait until I could move off. Normally it's not so busy and drivers are usually very patient. Not this morning however. While I was in the lane waiting to turn right an absolute eejit undertook me, indicated that she was turning right and then eventually did so. While she was pulled up alongside me I asked her 'What are you doing?' to which she mumbled something incoherent. Unbelievably another car attempted the same manoeuvre. Literally 2-3 seconds after she'd undertaken me the traffic cleared, away I went and caught her at the traffic lights as she waited to pull into the petrol station.

I will confess I don't have a driving license so I'm not au fait with all the rules of the road but this is an illegal stupid move isn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yes. That said, the safest thing to do in that situation is to take the lane. Sit in the middle of the road to prevent it from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Probably not illegal. Certainly not the sort of thing a road user will get charged with.

Definitely an inconsiderate ass move though.

If it makes you feel any better there are certain roads around Dublin where it's common for motorists to pull the old "oops, I thought I was turning left and passed this huge queue of cars in the straight ahead lane then realised my mistake and have to cut in front of the queue". It's not only cyclists that have to put up with this rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Probably not illegal

I'm pretty certain that undertaking on a right turn is illegal.
    HivemindXX wrote: »
    Certainly not the sort of thing a road user will get charged with....it's common for motorists to pull the old "oops, I thought I was turning left and passed this huge queue of cars in the straight ahead lane then realised my mistake and have to cut in front of the queue

I know someone who got pulled by the guards for doing this, and it was an honest mistake. No points, just a bollocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how come she was able to undertake you and turn right while you were still sitting there?

I wouldn't be right over on the right hand side at such a turn but a metre of so from the right of the lane to block vehicles from trying such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

droidus wrote: »
    Yes. That said, the safest thing to do in that situation is to take the lane. Sit in the middle of the road to prevent it from happening.
    Would you not be better off to "take" the cycle lane? That way you are not holding up the traffic and making it awkward for cars to drive down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

how come she was able to undertake you and turn right while you were still sitting there?

At the end of the road there is enough space for cars to go straight/turn right and for a line of cars to turn left towards Drogheda. It's wider than it looks.

mackeire wrote: »
    Would you not be better off to "take" the cycle lane? That way you are not holding up the traffic and making it awkward for cars to drive down the road.

There's no cycle lane on that stretch of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:rolleyes:

what invisible cycle lane would that be, I can't see it in the pic.
    none on the road the OP is on and none on the left side of the road where the OP is turning right to

and FYI cyclists have just as much right to use roads as motorists etc (if not more since no licence is even required), and there's no obligation to use cycle lanes - apart from the tiny minority of correctly signed and legal ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerrygirl84

Has anyone ever gotten into an incident with a cyclist with a helmet camera. Today I drove through an orange (perhaps just turning red) light in my car. The cyclist was on the side of the road that was about to go green as soon as the light I drove through turned red. The cyclist then cyced up to my car and thumped it with his hand and said that he had my car reg. I am really afraid he is going to go to the guards with his footage. He seemed really cross. And to be honest, I was really taken aback by it and I am still really upset. Has anyone met a cyclist like this before??

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

I don't see any cycle lane in the photo. Would you be one of those people who doesn't know the rules of the road as they apply to cyclists.

As some others have advised I would have stayed a bit to the left and denied cars the space to undertake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Has anyone ever gotten into an incident with a cyclist with a helmet camera. Today I drove through an orange (perhaps just turning red) light in my car. The cyclist was on the side of the road that was about to go green as soon as the light I drove through turned red. The cyclist then cyced up to my car and thumped it with his hand and said that he had my car reg. I am really afraid he is going to go to the guards with his footage. He seemed really cross. And to be honest, I was really taken aback by it and I am still really upset. Has anyone met a cyclist like this before??

lol. Oh dear. Where did this happen?

• Advertisement

No, but there are a couple on this forum.

I saw my wife jump a red last week while I was on my bike. That made for some interesting dinner conversation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Um, you don't think, nah..couldn't be.....?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74683641&postcount=11

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Where's the problem with the cyclist?

Orange light => Stop unless unsafe to do so.

-K2- wrote: »

Aggressiveness.

is that even a word? Aggression maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Please familiarise yourself with the cycling forum and then ensure you read the OP before commenting on it. People may mistake your question and inquiries for trolling. There is no cycle lane in the OP and there is nothing in the OP that gives the impression he was making it awkward

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To be fair the ROTR do say that when turning right you should take a position to the left of the centre line and allow vehicles wishing to turn left room to pass on the inside (assuming there is sufficient room), and that's what I would normally do, although it really depends on the junction in question and room available

In this case the driver was wrong on 2 counts - you should not "overtake" on the left, or when approaching a junction. She was very much the exception rather than the rule and most motorists would (as required) wait for the junction to be cleared before moving up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I wouldn't worry about what would happen. First, if he brought the footage to the gaurds, they would assure him that they will look into it and usher him to the door and that would be the end of it.
    Secondly, he thumped your car!! I'd love to see him explain that one. Did you not say anything to him when he thumped your car or was he so angry and out of control that you were afraid to say anything to him?

Considering your other posts, I would have expected a better knowledge of the law (I looked at your other posts because it looked like you were trolling). While he should not have thumped your car, you should not have run the lights. Two wrongs do not make a right but at least you have learned something from your mistake.

Beasty wrote: »
    In this case the driver was wrong on 2 counts - you should not "overtake" on the left, or when approaching a junction. She was very much the exception rather than the rule and most motorists would (as required) wait for the junction to be cleared before moving up to it

Absolutely Beasty- she was very much so the exception to the rule. I believe I made a comment in this forum when I first moved to NCD on just how great and considerate the motorists were to cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerrygirl84

CramCycle wrote: »

Considering your other posts, I would have expected a better knowledge of the law (I looked at your other posts because it looked like you were trolling). While he should not have thumped your car, you should not have run the lights. Two wrongs do not make a right but at least you have learned something from your mistake.[/Q

I had to look up what "trolling" meant! Christ, can't believe my comment was interpreted as that! Unbelievable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

To be fair the ROTR do say that when turning right you should take a position to the left of the centre line and allow vehicles wishing to turn left room to pass on the inside (assuming there is sufficient room), and that's what I would normally do, although it really depends on the junction in question and room available

True, sometimes it can be awkward. Take this junction for example. I turn right here, but some of the traffic in the right-hand lane goes straight on. I reckon the best thing to do is sit in front of the right-hand lane of traffic and let the driver know I intend to turn right. So far it's worked out okay, but I'm really not sure what the 'correct' ROTR should be for a situation like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

I had to look up what "trolling" meant! Christ, can't believe my comment was interpreted as that! Unbelievable!

Looks like you're not trolling, but it's certainly not 'unbelievable' to think you may have been. It's typical troll behaviour, to be fair: you're on a *cycling* forum asking us if we've ever met a cyclist who had the effrontery to get annoyed when you jumped a red light in front of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

-K2- wrote: »

Orange light => Stop unless unsafe to do so.

He's a knob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

At the end of the road there is enough space for cars to go straight/turn right and for a line of cars to turn left towards Drogheda. It's wider than it looks.

But how did she make it out into the traffic flow to the right and you didn't?

I'm just curious, as normally the 0-10kmph acceleration of a bike is better than a car, especially given that you can base your move on whatever they do. I mean, assuming you assumed that she was going left or straight, then you can make a move to go when she does.

Obviously something else was going on on the road or in your mind at that time and you were caught unawares, so I'd just chalk that up to a learning experience on better positioning at a junction.

I had a similar one where I turn left at a set of roadworks. The only problem is that they have "cut" the corner and put down hardcore which is crap to cycle on. I had to indicate twice and still the van that was following me seemed surprised when I turned left at the normal bit of tarmac instead of across the hardcore, despite the fact that the turn is actually not easier to take if you "cut" it as it goes back on itself. Thankfully because of that yer man was never going to get anywhere anyway, but it doesn't stop them trying.

I'm fairly sure that I haven't described that properly, but the moral for me was that you should always expect the unexpected despite indicating and positioning yourself for something quite explicitly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hey Folks,

Grrrrrr I'm so annoyed this morning. I was at junction this morning waiting to turn right onto the main street. There was quite a bit of traffic in both directions so I had to wait until I could move off. Normally it's not so busy and drivers are usually very patient. Not this morning however. While I was in the lane waiting to turn right an absolute eejit undertook me, indicated that she was turning right and then eventually did so. While she was pulled up alongside me I asked her 'What are you doing?' to which she mumbled something incoherent. Unbelievably another car attempted the same manoeuvre. Literally 2-3 seconds after she'd undertaken me the traffic cleared, away I went and caught her at the traffic lights as she waited to pull into the petrol station.

I will confess I don't have a driving license so I'm not au fait with all the rules of the road but this is an illegal stupid move isn't it?

My view is that this is incredibly dangerous behaviour and if you have the reg number you should report this person to the Guards. If you had decided to turn at the same time as she came up beside you she could have ended up forcing you into oncoming traffic when you were finished turning.

This is not just lack of consideration this is plain dangerous driving.

Idleater wrote: »

That's irrelevant. You don't get to undertake just because you think you can "make the gap" that you think the road user in front is letting go.

Particularly since (a) a common consequence is that the road user in front then starts the manoeuvre anyway and you have a nice three-way pile up, (b) there may be hazards in view of the person in front that are hidden to you, and (c) IT'S ILLEGAL. :)

If often leave small gaps when I'm on the bike that I'd take in the car, since the consequences of getting it wrong are more serious.

Idleater wrote: »

I'm just curious, as normally the 0-10kmph acceleration of a bike is better than a car, especially given that you can base your move on whatever they do. I mean, assuming you assumed that she was going left or straight, then you can make a move to go when she does.

Obviously something else was going on on the road or in your mind at that time and you were caught unawares, so I'd just chalk that up to a learning experience on better positioning at a junction.

Well I sat there with my jaw to the ground at what she was doing. I was watching the traffic and didn't consider the moment she pulled out into the traffic to be a wise one to do so. She made an unwise decision and I wasn't going to put myself near her and her car.

I do take exception to the part I've highlighted in bold. My road positioning was fine, as I've mentioned the roadway is wide enough to accommodate a row of cars going right and a row going left. She strayed out wide to go around me. She moved out into the traffic when I wouldn't have. I waited, got out and caught her seconds later.

Why must you be that cynical? I do this part of the journey every day and have never had a problem. She made a dangerous manoeuvre and it's as simple as that. I don't believe I left myself open to having done anything better. It's a pretty straight forward junction.

My view is that this is incredibly dangerous behaviour and if you have the reg number you should report this person to the Guards. If you had decided to turn at the same time as she came up beside you she could have ended up forcing you into oncoming traffic when you were finished turning.

This is not just lack of consideration this is plain dangerous driving.

I appreciate what you're saying but it would really just be my word against hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I appreciate what you're saying but it would really just be my word against hers.

Report it anyway? There may be a pattern with her behaviour, or one might develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

Obviously just picking on a women cause hes no ####s.if a cyclist tried that on my car i would find it hard not to shove the bike up his ###

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

RT66 wrote: »
    Report it anyway? There may be a pattern with her behaviour, or one might develop.

+ 1 Next time she might do it to a child cycling to school or an older person.

You're a relatively experienced adult cycle commuter who could read what was happening.

Even if the Guards can't prosecute they can still send someone around to have a chat with her. This is not inattention or momentary carelessness this is someone in a car doing something positively stupid.

I do take exception to the part I've highlighted in bold. My road positioning was fine, as I've mentioned the roadway is wide enough to accommodate a row of cars going right and a row going left. She strayed out wide to go around me. She moved out into the traffic when I wouldn't have. I waited, got out and caught her seconds later.

My apologies for coming across in an accusatory manner, I really am on your side and as I had a fairly similar experience this morning (as I outlined) I thought I'd share my perspective.

I am fully aware how these things happen, and I fully understand and know how her manoeuvre was illegal, wrong and inconsiderate, I merely wanted to provide some slight pointer as to how you can learn something from the experience (as I did mine) by simply questioning yourself how you can minimise the occurrence happening again.

I understand your explanation of the events, and it is what I suspected happened all right, so my choice of words (Obviously something else was going on on the road or in your mind at that time and you were caught unawares) do stand true, but I didn't mean it in a bad way, more in a way that you can learn from.

There is no way that you can account for every situation, but what you can do is try to understand why events did occur the way they did. In your case, the combination of your position, your decision not to go, and her decision to do something illegal put you in more danger than you had expected.

In the same way, my decision to delay my turn despite making eye contact with the driver behind and to the best of my ability informing him of my actions, still brought about the exact situation I had tried to avoid.

What I'm learning from my experience is to possibly prioritise positioning for the driver behind over the oncoming drivers and the easier turn angle. What you can learn is up to you, and what this thread is about.

Apologies again.

newuser89 wrote: »
    Obviously just picking on a women cause hes no ####s.if a cyclist tried that on my car i would find it hard not to shove the bike up his ###
    Your space after a full stop is broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The cyclist in question was compensating for an inferiority complex by acting out on a member of the fairer sex. Had the gentleman in question behaved in that manner in my presence, I would feel obliged to point out his lack of etiquette to him in a rather forceful manner.

This post was brought to you by FinishingSchool, a better class of translator.

The cyclist in question was compensating for an inferiority complex by acting out on a member of the fairer sex. Had the gentleman in question behaved in that manner in my presence, I would feel obliged to point out his lack of etiquette to him in a rather forceful manner.

This post was brought to you by FinishingSchool, a better class of translator.

I thank you for your service my good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You forgot the full stop again!

• Advertisement

Vélo wrote: »

Im on my phone so my grammer is not something i worry about

Lucky i dont use my texting grammer on yas

I think you'd find it hard to find a bike up any persons posterior, and if possible (no pictures anyone :eek:) I doubt it would be in the situation described above. I recommend that if you find yourself in this situation you report it to the Gardai as you could be done for assault (or attempted assault :pac:).

Now, back on topic, the driver was wrong, pity you didn't get her plate and ask the gardai to either have a word with her or leave your details and her reg up on Pulse.

No harm either way.

Now, back on topic, the driver was wrong, pity you didn't get her plate and ask the gardai to either have a word with her or leave your details and her reg up on Pulse.

No harm either way.

If she's a creature of habit like myself I'm sure I'll spot her tomorrow. I'll keep a look out for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Vélo wrote: »

*grammar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

furiousox wrote: »
    Not this time - I did wave in an annoyed fashion at an RLJ this morning - look out for my upload later on.

Come on, it was well red by the time you crossed, wasn't it?
    I wouldn't worry about what would happen. First, if he brought the footage to the gaurds, they would assure him that they will look into it and usher him to the door and that would be the end of it.
    Unless he reports it first to Garda TrafficWatch, so it gets logged on their system for follow up.
    Secondly, he thumped your car!! I'd love to see him explain that one.
    True.
    Or else he treats drivers the same, regardless of their gender and you've just made a wrong assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I thumped a douchebags car last week for pulling left right when I was on his inside and squeezing me off the road onto the kerb. Thumping his car was the best way to get him to drop the iPhone he was using while driving.
    Strangely enough he backed right down when I pointed out to him what he'd just done and how close he was to making me into a pancake. And when I told him i'd be giving his reg to Trafficwatch.

Although the cyclist who banged the girls car was a spanner, we all know running lights is dumb and dangerous. Maybe it'll give her a wake up call.

MOD VOICE: Your post was both off topic and could be seen to incite annoyance considering both the forum and its general tone. I didn't call it trolling at the time as I generally believe you did not do this intentionally.

NB TO EVERYONE: This thread relates to the incident as described in the OP and peoples experience of similar events and/or advice on such events. Anyone who IMO strays off topic with the intent of causing annoyance will have their posts deleted and be banned for a yet to be determined amount of time from the cycling forum. If you have an issue that you wish to discuss that is not related to the OP in any way, either start another thread or PM me for advice on where it is appropriate to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

This type of stupid and danegrous manoeuvre is not uncommon in my experience.

I have been undertaken by right-turning vehicles a few times on this junction, once by a bus travelling at speed.

It's tricky enough to take the lane on narrow roads (as I mentioned in another thread only recently) but a long right-turn stacking lane plus typical Irish driving makes for a hazardous cycling experience. No wonder many cyclists, especially visitors to this country, are scared. You need eyes in the back and side of your head.

IMO you need to be thoroughly familiar with the RoTR, if only to be aware of the many ways in which those rules are casually broken, and the offences ignored, on a daily basis in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

droidus wrote: »
    I've had drivers undertake me from the other lane when I do that. They go right around. If they are the type that does this sort of stupid manoeuvre they will find a way to do it, in my experience. Still, taking the lane will minimise it as much as possible I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Or you spelling, but i digress, male or female that manoeuver is inexusable and I generally don't discriminate when pointing out the sheer stupidity of someones poor driving.

I had a similar situation yesterday morning on the way to work. Turning right, with a clear road behind me (looked once), some a**hole in a car took it upon himself to overtake me (thankfully looked twice before turning)! Incredible. You unfortunately have to factor in that a fair proportion of drivers are complete tw*ts on the road. Don't under estimate the lengths a driver will take to get to work 5 seconds earlier, even if it means almost killing you in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    I had a similar situation yesterday morning on the way to work. Turning right, with a clear road behind me (looked once), some a**hole in a car took it upon himself to overtake me (thankfully looked twice before turning)! Incredible. You unfortunately have to factor in that a fair proportion of drivers are complete tw*ts on the road. Don't under estimate the lengths a driver will take to get to work 5 seconds earlier, even if it means almost killing you in the process.

Just to highlight the hijinks on irish roads, I had this happen to me also recently. I checked for oncoming traffic, I looked over my shoulder, I indicated to turn right, I moved to the right hand side of the lane, and some loolah in a executive saloon type car roared past me crossing to the wrong side of the road in the process.
    This was all in a residential type area with a good bit of traffic and lights etc. nearby.

Did I mention I was also driving a car at the time?! :eek:

Doesn't really matter what you're piloting, the crazies are out to get ya either way! Develop that sixth sense as soon as possible. It makes it a lot easier to spot these kind of nutters a good way off.

(ps. I was not wearing a helmet at the time...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

...as I've mentioned the roadway is wide enough to accommodate a row of cars going right and a row going left.

The Google Maps link you posted shows a narrow lane that I'm familiar with, there's no room there for left and right turners, are you sure you posted the correct link or have you mixed up Hamlet lane and Flemington lane?

In either case, I'd have taken the cyclepath southbound on the R132 (old N1) , in the hope that I'd be able to make my crossing along the way without having to stop.

The Google Maps link you posted shows a narrow lane that I'm familiar with, there's no room there for left and right turners, are you sure you posted the correct link or have you mixed up Hamlet lane and Flemington lane?

In either case, I'd have taken the cyclepath southbound on the R132 (old N1) , in the hope that I'd be able to make my crossing along the way without having to stop.

I googled Flemington Lane but it is Hamlet Lane I was on. Depending on the car and how far out they are it is possible for cars to squeeze left. I see this quite frequently as I cycle it daily. I don't condone it but it does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Is there any chance that she thought that you were looking to join the two way cycle lane to your right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I think you'd find it hard to find a bike up any persons posterior, and if possible (no pictures anyone :eek:) I doubt it would be in the situation described above. I recommend that if you find yourself in this situation you report it to the Gardai as you could be done for assault (or attempted assault :pac:).

No harm either way.

From my reading of the second situation in this thread as described, both the driver and the cyclist appear to me to be red light jumpers.

Today I drove through an orange (perhaps just turning red) light in my car. The cyclist was on the side of the road that was about to go green as soon as the light I drove through turned red. The cyclist then cyced up to my car and thumped it with his hand and said that he had my car reg.

From that, it looks like the cyclist was stopped @ the red, and tried to jump ahead of the green, otherwise they would not have gotten up to the car to thump it.
    The light just doesn't turn green, there are usually a couple of seconds clearance with both sides on red before green is shown.

Unless of course, kerrygirl84 had not only broken the light, but failed to clear the junction, but that has not been referred to yet.

I'm not condoning red light jumping of any kind, motorised or cyclist, just that it looks to me like both were in the wrong, but in how many ways is not yet ascertained.

• Advertisement
Advertisement