Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iTunes Match Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

yeah I know but all the music in the cloud is listed in the same list as the offline music.

So if I have 8,000 in the cloud and have 200 on my iPhone - will it not take an age to find the offline stuff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oh sorry, I see what you mean now. Just disable "show all music" in Music settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Do you login with your itunes account or your icloud account?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jester77 wrote: »
    Do you login with your itunes account or your icloud account?
    Your iTunes account and your iCloud account are the same thing. They are both part of your Apple ID. Unless you are using different Apple IDs for each, in which case you should use the same one that you use for iTunes since that will have your payment details and purchase history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Your iTunes account and your iCloud account are the same thing. They are both part of your Apple ID. Unless you are using different Apple IDs for each, in which case you should use the same one that you use for iTunes since that will have your payment details and purchase history.

I've 2, have had an itunes account for years and then my mobileme account that is now icloud. Wasn't sure which to use as I keep reading that the music will be stored in the cloud, so had presumed this meant with the rest of the icloud stuff like gallery, mail, idisk, etc

• Advertisement

You should use your iTunes one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Zucker

Signed up for it last night and left it matching songs all night. It matched 14,495 of my 17,171 so it worked at lot better than I thought it would, now it's just uploading the rest now which will probably take a few days. Extremely happy so far with the service. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Has anyone used an iTunes gift card to download it?

Gift card credit should work, but you still need to have a valid credit card associated with your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

What's the story if you don't resubscribe after the year? Do you get to keep all matched songs you have up to that point or do they get deleted from the cloud?

• Advertisement

Yes, you keep the files after the subscription ends. The ones on your computer/device that is. You obviously don't keep the cloud backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Quick question, can you stream your entire library to an iOS device. Say for instance from my iPhone I go into iPod >Songs > Shuffle will it play from my entire library or do I have to have them downloaded locally on the device?

Reason I ask it seems you can do it without downloading on your iTunes desktop.

Streaming to iOS devices doesn't work. You can download and then delete the file, but you can't stream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I also have a question.

Can I have access to my itunes library at work, on a pc without itunes?

No, you need iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Streaming to iOS devices doesn't work. You can download and then delete the file, but you can't stream.

Pants! That would have been a great feature. I'm sure its in the pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

i'm thinking about getting itunes match for a year, the reason is, when i first started ripping all my cd's etc i ripped them at low enough bitrates 192kbps, i really don't have time to rerip them all and don't fancy the hassle, so basically can i redownload any albums that i have, that itunes obviously also have and keep them even without the subscription next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Do you mean you cant stream the files to iOS devices after you have the files downloaded on to your main Mac/PC? It will be very limiting of this is the case.

You send the details of your iTunes library to Apple and they match everything you have with official iTunes versions. Regardless of how you obtained the music it is tied to your account just as if you purchased it. You pay a flat annual sub for the service. $25 in the US.

For many people it will serve as a sort of piracy amnesty.

Just thinking about this, couldnt this be used by people downloading music illegally as a iTunes subscription service? Just continue pirating music every year and match it on iTunes for €25 anually?

You can't stream to iOS devices, period. You can download and even play the song as it downloads, but you will then have to delete the file as it will be taking up space that you might not have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

If I sign up to iTunes match and subsequently import an album at lower quality will iTunes download the higher quality version for me? Also do iTunes gift cards bought off eBay work in the Irish store. I notice the UK gift cards are cheaper than if I pay with my card...

EDIT never mind about the card, just checked online and they don't work

Just tried to sign up to try it out and it says they arent currently taking subscriptions, try again later. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

adox wrote: »
    Just tried to sign up to try it out and it says they arent currently taking subscriptions, try again later. :confused:

Same for me.

I'd say the scale of the launch was badly planned from a apple server hardware point of view.

silvine wrote: »
    If I sign up to iTunes match and subsequently import an album at lower quality will iTunes download the higher quality version for me?
    Not automatically. Afaik you have to match the tracks, delete the originals and then download from iTunes Match to get the higher quality iTunes version.

I suspect a lot of people are doing this for their whole library, which is probably why Apple have had to stop taking subscriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Well all uploaded and itunes match set to on with phone..

Do I now delete everything from phone?

Can I keep it all on the phone and switch off itunes Match as needed

Cheers

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Well all uploaded and itunes match set to on with phone..

Do I now delete everything from phone?

Can I keep it all on the phone and switch off itunes Match as needed

Cheers

DT

No you should leave whatever is on your phone unless you want to upgrade to 256k. Under the turn iTunes match on there is another option to show all or not. Show all will show all library and if it's switched to off will only show what's on device already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

No you should leave whatever is on your phone unless you want to upgrade to 256k. Under the turn iTunes match on there is another option to show all or not. Show all will show all library and if it's switched to off will only show what's on device already.

Lovely

Thanks for info

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Can somebody give me a dummies guide to what iTunes match is?!!

Am I correct in saying that iTunes match will basically give me access to my matched library in icloud?

Could this help me towards maintaining a two identical libraries?

I certainly think I'd be interested in iTunes Match but just need complete clarity on the full features of it....

So lets say I have a number of songs that are ripped at lower than 256kps that iTunes can match - will iTunes delete these off my library and replace them with the higher quality versions?

Shane732 wrote: »
    Can somebody give me a dummies guide to what iTunes match is?!!
    Basically it's online backup for you music library.
    Am I correct in saying that iTunes match will basically give me access to my matched library in icloud?
    Yes, but you can only download (not stream) to iOS devices.
    Could this help me towards maintaining a two identical libraries?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.
    So lets say I have a number of songs that are ripped at lower than 256kps that iTunes can match - will iTunes delete these off my library and replace them with the higher quality versions?
    No, not automatically. As I said above, you would have to match them, delete the original from your library and then download the iTunes version from iTunes Match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Yes, but you can only download (not stream) to iOS devices.

And will Itunes recognize which songs are missing from each of my devices?

Advertisement