Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iTunes Match Ireland

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If you turn it on, then each device will show a cloud in a light grey to indicate the song is in the cloud, not on the device. When you play such a song it starts playing after a few seconds while it downloads to that device in the background. Or at least this is how it works for iPhone, iPad and itouch. Apple tv streams them and never downloads them as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Anyone fiond it being poor at matching the songs? I have 1147 songs in my library but only 151 are in the cloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Have to say it is taking me awhile to get my head around this. I never expected my Iphone to lose all its music. And that I would have to download it all back to my iPhone. But now I sussed it out.

Is there anyway to get the music that "iTunes Match" did not match or came back "ineligible" back on my iPhone? There mainly voice memos, an audio book, and a few songs?

It is cool the way you can delete a song. Download it in better quality and keep your play count.

Hmm Just realised the stuff that could not be matched or uploaded "ineligible" are a bit rate of 64 kbps or lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Back working now. Just subscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

iTunes Match won't match some tracks if their bitrate is too low. I'll look it up later and post back here. You will be able to see the tracks not synced if you sort music by cloud icon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Hmm Just realised the stuff that could not be matched or uploaded "ineligible" are a bit rate of 64 kbps or lower.

There is a work around for that.

Right click on low bitrate songs and click convert to AAC. Change them to a higher bitrate and it will pick them up then.

AlanD wrote: »
    iTunes Match won't match some tracks if their bitrate is too low. I'll look it up later and post back here. You will be able to see the tracks not synced if you sort music by cloud icon

Yeh managed to figure this out. It's odd that iphone voice memos don't sync.
    Is there anyway to get these back on the iPhone? With iTunes match on?

Also do I literally have to download every album/song to the iPhone manually? Is there a quicker way of doing it?

Hmm I have so many questions. Looks like I am still trying to get my head around it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Voice memos aren't music, so iTunes Match isn't going to upload them. However, they are uploaded to iCloud (or iTunes) as part of the backup. But you would probably have to restore to get them back.

I'm not sure why your iPhone lost all its music though. It shouldn't have.

Seems to be working quite well so far. I have roughly 9300 songs, about 53Gb of music. It's been working away for about 4 hours and has around 8000 tracks up in the cloud so far. Seemed to match around two thirds of my library and is uploading the rest.

Quick question. When I'm done I will have the whole library in the cloud, is there anyway to tell the difference between those tracks that have been matched and those that have been just uploaded? So if you are looking to delete lower bitrate albums and then download them back from the cloud, you can tell which are iTunes versions and which are just exact copies of your originals? Or is it a case of deleting, redownloading and hoping for the best?

Sorry about this but one more question too for those in the know.
    Will iTunes match work regularly during your subscription, ie, will it automatically match/upload new tracks that you add after your initial scan, to the cloud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hmm don't know whether to get this or not, i only use mac at home whereas in work it's all linux. i listen to my music the most in work.

Voice memos aren't music, so iTunes Match isn't going to upload them. However, they are uploaded to iCloud (or iTunes) as part of the backup. But you would probably have to restore to get them back.

I'm not sure why your iPhone lost all its music though. It shouldn't have.

Sorry it did not lose them. There still on the iPhone. Well in the cloud. I just have to download them all from the cloud to my iPhone. One album at a time. I think this is how match is supposed to be. It's did warn me about it.

I will probably just delete and install all my albums in the higher quality bit rate in iTunes and sync the normal way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Brian017 wrote: »
    Anyone fiond it being poor at matching the songs? I have 1147 songs in my library but only 151 are in the cloud

I'm not sure mine was this bad, but what I find extremely annoying is it only seems to be matching 1/2/3 songs from every album rather than matching the entire album - anyone know why this might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Why would it upload every single track that every single customer has?

iTunes is the biggest catalogue of music in the world. Surely they're not physically storing all those 1s & 0s when all they need to do is index the catalogue a user has & tag it in the cloud ?

iMax wrote: »
    Why would it upload every single track that every single customer has?

iTunes is the biggest catalogue of music in the world. Surely they're not physically storing all those 1s & 0s when all they need to do is index the catalogue a user has & tag it in the cloud ?

It doesn't. It only uploads what it can't match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Anyone else finding it near impossible to upload songs today? It was extremely slow last night but today is even worse - 8 songs in 3 hours ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Can't verify this right now, but I think you *can* stream over WiFi.

adox wrote: »
    Seems to be working quite well so far. I have roughly 9300 songs, about 53Gb of music. It's been working away for about 4 hours and has around 8000 tracks up in the cloud so far. Seemed to match around two thirds of my library and is uploading the rest.

Ha spoke too soon. Been out all day, just got back in and theres still nearly a thousand songs still to upload!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    Can't verify this right now, but I think you *can* stream over WiFi.

What I have found Vinny that a track you click on that's in the cloud will start to play after a second or two, but then if you click on a different track
    that's on the device you will see the previous track being downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just to clarify something that has been popping up over the last few pages and I hadn't seen any definitive answers. You can pay for iTunes Match with a €25 Gift Card (a credit card is not required for this service.).

Here are a few handy tips:
    1. Register the Gift Card to your iTunes account first.
    2. After you register, go to your account and cancel the Automatic Renewal (it defaults to Auto Renew after 12 months) - this way will help you keep control over the costs. Usually because once you have run Match once, you may not need it again unless you plan to rip a bunch of lower quality songs next year.
    3. Tesco and some retailers have the €25 iTunes gift cards on sale for €20 this week. (Why not save yourself a fiver on your iTunes Match). :)

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hey

Just wondering..why when I look at Albums does the cloud only appear beside some of them..I am positive I bought the tracks from itunes

Cheers

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Another question, does anyone know if the apple tv has to be updated to view itunes match (think im on 4.4.2) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpt1980

iTunes match appears on the Apple TV when you agree to the new terms and conditions on your computer or iOS device as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

jpt1980 wrote: »
    iTunes match appears on the Apple TV when you agree to the new terms and conditions on your computer or iOS device as far as I know.

Cheers for the reply, did all that. It shows up on my iphone but not on atv :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

After you have registered and iTunes matches the tracks it can match and uploads the rest of the tracks what happens then.

Do you have to personally download any lower quality recordings from the Cloud or what way does it work?

Would be handy if iTunes just replaced all your matched tracks with the iTunes versions automatically. But i've a funny feeling you will have to download them yourself again separately,

Also is there an easy way to tell which of your tracks are high quality and which are of low quality (which you might want to replace with iTunes versions)

Thanks

joe316 wrote: »

I'm guessing you may need the latest firmware on your Atv2?

It appeared on my Apple TV which was running 4.4.3 before I updated to 4.4.4

It appeared on my Apple TV which was running 4.4.3 before I updated to 4.4.4. Try restoring your Apple TV.

jpt1980 wrote: »
    It appeared on my Apple TV which was running 4.4.3 before I updated to 4.4.4. Try restoring your Apple TV.

Have mine jailbroken so wouldn't consider updating the firmware. Also I don't see any advantage for myself having iTunes match on atv2 over home sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

After you have registered and iTunes matches the tracks it can match and uploads the rest of the tracks what happens then.

Do you have to personally download any lower quality recordings from the Cloud or what way does it work?
    You have to manually replace the tracks with the Matched versions yourself.
    Would be handy if iTunes just replaced all your matched tracks with the iTunes versions automatically. But i've a funny feeling you will have to download them yourself again separately,
    There are some people who would not want their music files to automatically download, because they may have some files that they have recorded at a higher quality setting than iTunes Match will offer.
    Also is there an easy way to tell which of your tracks are high quality and which are of low quality (which you might want to replace with iTunes versions)
    In iTunes, you can add some columns that will help.
    1. Right-click where it says Title, Artist, Album, Genre, Rating, etc.,
    2. Add the columns Bit Rate and iCloud Status
    3. If you sort by Bit Rate, you will see which files are recorded below 256kbps and also if they have been matched by iTunes Match.
    4. If there is a song (or multiple songs) that iTunes has matched, you can right-click on the file and select delete.
    5. Don't Panic
    6. After you have 'deleted' the file, you will see a new iCloud icon appear beside the track name. You can now select the tracks you want to download in the higher quality by right-clicking them and selecting download.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement