Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri race wheels advice...

• 19-10-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Have an option to purchase a set of Sram's, however I'm wondering what people do wrt the gear block?

I have 2 bikes (both Shimano -105 & Dura Ace respectively) where I'd plan to use the wheels and given that the Sram's are free-hub, I'm assuming the best option whould be to purchase a Shimano block and leave it permanently on the Sram?

Is this normal, or do people go to the trouble of swapping blocks & wheels for races?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What wheels are they?

What do you mean by "free hub"? I think perhaps you are a little confused?

I know I swap out a 27-12, 25-12 and a 23-11 depending on the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

tunney wrote: »
    What wheels are they?

What do you mean by "free hub"? I think perhaps you are a little confused?

I know I swap out a 27-12, 25-12 and a 23-11 depending on the conditions.

Sram s60, s80 - combo TBD.

By free hub, I meant that it wasn't Campag or Shimano dependent.

Given my modest bike times, I'm happy enough with a permanent 27-12 on the race wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Buy an 11-23 and put it on the training wheel. No bail out option for training!

Presumably the team izoard car will meet you at the top of sally gap, switch wheels and you'll take the prime into Donard?

Yeah, I'd buy a second cassette. I think you just need to watch out for excessive wear on one versus the other versus your chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Notwitch wrote: »
    Buy an 11-23 and put it on the training wheel. No bail out option for training!

Presumably the team izoard car will meet you at the top of sally gap, switch wheels and you'll take the prime into Donard?

Yeah, I'd buy a second cassette. I think you just need to watch out for excessive wear on one versus the other versus your chain.

So, I have 2 relatively fresh cassettes on the existing stock wheels (27-12 and 25-11 or 12) - plan would be to leave a 3rd fixed permanently to the race wheel.

BTW, is swapping cassettes a fairly straight forward process?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Yes, with the right tools. See sheldonbrown.com

However, either way, you'd want to check the freehub issue first and make sure it is a shimano compatible freehub you're getting - not so sure there is a freehub that fits both shimano/campag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement