Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isolation Switches for Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer etc.

Options
  • 19-10-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether isolation switches are required for under the counter appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines etc. and if so can someone point me towards the appropriate regulations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you search it's been discussed

if the sockets for the appliances are inaccessible

i would fit a DP switch for each above the worktop

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BMD

I have looked but cannot find anything definitive...I understand that it is best practice but I want to know that it is the law and if so where I can find the law

Its in the wiring rules

Thanks, unfortunately these don't seem to be available online. Do you know where these can be accessed or do you know the exact point in the rules that I could reference?

Top of page 308

• Advertisement

Thanks...I found it..Annex 55A Section 4.2 A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

BMD wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether isolation switches are required for under the counter appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines etc. and if so can someone point me towards the appropriate regulations?

socket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch,rated 20amp,in an accessible position e.g. on the wall above the work top
    (554.3.5)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 warmglow

hi , if someone was replacing a new washing machine and the socket remains inaccessable (wired years ago) should it be recified before new one is installed ? is it in rules that you must or leave existing alone ?

warmglow wrote: »
    hi , if someone was replacing a new washing machine and the socket remains inaccessable (wired years ago) should it be recified before new one is installed ? is it in rules that you must or leave existing alone ?

the rules are not retrospective
    only new work needs to be switched

cheers thanks - if a new kitchen is being installed and sockets/wiring moved and added i presume that the new way should be followed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

yea any new work been carried out should be to the 4th edition regs

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 21 infinitejest

M cebee wrote: »
    if you search it's been discussed

if the sockets for the appliances are inaccessible

i would fit a DP switch for each above the worktop

Resurrecting an old thread.

Our electrician want to put in 5 of these DP switches /isolator switches (Hob, integrated oven, microwave, fridge/freezer and cooker hood) and I assume one will have to go in the kitchen counter for the dishwasher. Add to this 3 standard double sockets and it really makes the splashback look ugly and cluttered.

Is there anyway to be creative with these switches and hide/disguise them? THey are potentially ruining the kitchen splashback (glass)

Resurrecting an old thread.

Our electrician want to put in 5 of these DP switches /isolator switches (Hob, integrated oven, microwave, fridge/freezer and cooker hood) and I assume one will have to go in the kitchen counter for the dishwasher. Add to this 3 standard double sockets and it really makes the splashback look ugly and cluttered.

Is there anyway to be creative with these switches and hide/disguise them? THey are potentially ruining the kitchen splashback (glass)

Afraid not
    They are a regulation and need to be close to the appliance
    You can get a grid which incorporates 20amp double pole switches but with all the cables and different circuits , seperate isolators is best

meercat wrote: »
    Afraid not
    They are a regulation and need to be close to the appliance
    You can get a grid which incorporates 20amp double pole switches but with all the cables and different circuits , seperate isolators is best

Thanks meercat - Not what I wanted to hear!

Do you know what the minimum distance between appliance and switch is? (I am thinking we could place all the switches on one wall.)

Do you know if these switches are permitted in Ireland?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crabtree-Grid-Switch-Kitchen-Multi-Gang-Switch-Plates-/280663095648

What a palaver. Wish the kitchen people would have flagged this sooner.

i've seen those multi-gang switches mentioned on the uk sites
    i'm a bit puzzled about their purpose fitted at kitchen entrance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Perhaps the switches could be mounted within a cupboard ?
    I assume that this is acceptable once they are accessible, close to the appliance and clearly marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

2011 wrote: »
    Perhaps the switches could be mounted within a cupboard ?
    I assume that this is acceptable once they are accessible, close to the appliance and clearly marked.

I never entertain that idea with architects. Accessible, in a cupboard is fine at design stage, but what about when it's full of junk, and no one remembers where they are?

ya i don't like em in presses
    usually just above worktop

does anyone know what the purpose of these multi gang switches is?
    presumably they'd have to be fitted in addition to local isolators unless they're close to all appliances

Thanks meercat - Not what I wanted to hear!

Do you know what the minimum distance between appliance and switch is? (I am thinking we could place all the switches on one wall.)

Do you know if these switches are permitted in Ireland?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crabtree-Grid-Switch-Kitchen-Multi-Gang-Switch-Plates-/280663095648

What a palaver. Wish the kitchen people would have flagged this sooner.

socket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch,rated 20amp,in an accessible position e.g. on the wall above the work top
    (554.3.5)

I don't think inside a cupboard would be acceptable

I would think the 2 metre rule for isolators is relevant here too

Not a fan of those grid type isolators either as you will possibly have 3 different circuits connected into 1 box
    Space will be at a premium to get all connections in,so seperate isolators for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dardania wrote: »
    I never entertain that idea with architects. Accessible, in a cupboard is fine at design stage, but what about when it's full of junk, and no one remembers where they are?

I have a microwave in my kitchen cupboards nad have never had any problem accessing the switches :D

If the 20A DP switches have neon indication lights, are installed at the front of the cupboard at high level (just under the countertop) and are clearly labeled (traffolite labels) I do not possibly see how they could be obstructed by junk, be inaccessible or be forgotten about. If this was my kitchen I would consider this option preferable to ruining a glass splash back. I assume that part of the idea of the splash back is that it can be washed down (water and electricity are not a good mix at the best of times :) )

Incidentally, my own kitchen does not have these isolation switches (wired pre 4th edition of ET101) and over the last 7 years I can honestly say that I have never missed them. I can not envisage a situation in the future where such switches would be an advantage to me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Incidentally, my own kitchen does not have these isolation switches (wired pre 4th edition of ET101) and over the last 7 years I can honestly say that I have never missed them. I can not envisage a situation in the future where such switches would be an advantage to me either.
    I agree. Was on a job where the isolators would have ruined a glass splashback so they were put in a nearby high level cupboard. Mind you, they were harder made off. I don't see why you wouldn't put them in a cupboard in such a situation. It's not worth the extra work though unless it's really required.

At the end of the day, the appliance is still plugged into its own socket that can be plugged out by moving the appliance. If an appliance is getting serviced and requires mains isolation, it's quite probable it will removed from its location anyway to allow proper servicing.

The rule is daft, and should be examined with a view to making it less restrictive.

I have a microwave in my kitchen cupboards nad have never had any problem accessing the switches :D

If the 20A DP switches have neon indication lights, are installed at the front of the cupboard at high level (just under the countertop) and are clearly labeled (traffolite labels) I do not possibly see how they could be obstructed by junk, be inaccessible or be forgotten about. If this was my kitchen I would consider this option preferable to ruining a glass splash back. I assume that part of the idea of the splash back is that it can be washed down (water and electricity are not a good mix at the best of times :) )

Is it 'legal' or within the regs to put the switches in a press?

In our case it isn't possible to put them under the countertop (drawer units only under the counters) but there is a convenient overhead press I could use. It is a small enough kitchen.

To be honest I don't think the electrician will go for this - he has not been very helpful on this matter to date. Seems determined to ruin the splashback :( I will mention the water issue however! It might sway him.

the old ways were bad
    sockets all over the place and behind appliances no way of switching anything off

i'd have an issue with the 2011 amendment
    which says sockets are allowed above 1200mm
    but must be inaccessible for general use and presumably need an isolating switch then.
    a bit overkill if you want an accessible socket below a flatscreen

generally i'm in favour. homeowners can now isolate appliances easily and don't have to leave everything on standby

Is it 'legal' or within the regs to put the switches in a press?

In my opinion, yes once these switches comply with the current regulations (ET:101) and more specifically this one:
    "Scoket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch,rated 20amp,in an accessible position e.g. on the wall above the work top".

If I am incorrect, then perhaps someone can show me where in the regulations it states that this is not permitted.
    In our case it isn't possible to put them under the countertop (drawer units only under the counters) but there is a convenient overhead press I could use. It is a small enough kitchen.

To be honest I don't think the electrician will go for this - he has not been very helpful on this matter to date. Seems determined to ruin the splashback :( I will mention the water issue however! It might sway him.

Your electrician may feel that he would be "sticking his neck out" by doing anything different from what he/she has seen done before.

There may be a concern that the overhead press is too far from the appliances or that at this stage of the job it is too late to make changes such as this.

On a positive note, at least your electrician is familiar with the regulations and wants to comply with them. There are plenty that don't.

generally i'm in favour. homeowners can now isolate appliances easily and don't have to leave everything on standby
    Such as what?
    I can think of one or two obscure examples, but that is about it.

In a kitchen the appliances are typically:
    Dishwasher
    Fridge
    Freezer
    Microwave
    Washing machine
    Tumble Dryer

Why would someone want to switch off any of the above at an isolating switch?

To service/ maintain any of these devices they would have to be removed anyway, in which case they could simply be unplugged. If the exterior of any of these devices were to become live due to a fault and the protective devices failed it would be best to isolate at the distribution board, not the isolator anyway.

he'll have to keep below 1600mm
    can he do that in the press?

does the latest rule say accessible or readily accessible?
    dunno about that bit
    you'd have to know it's in the press and if the press is full of stuff it's no longer readily accessible anyhow?
    a quick call to reci/ecssa clear it up

Are you referring to a regulation on the max height of isolators?

To be honest I would think that installing the isolating switches at high level in the overhead cupboards may be "pushing it" a bit.
    does the latest rule say accessible or readily accessible?

"Scoket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch,rated 20amp,in an accessible position e.g. on the wall above the work top".
    dunno about that bit
    you'd have to know it's in the press and if the press is full of stuff it's no longer readily accessible anyhow?

As I stated above: If the 20A DP switches have neon indication lights, are installed at the front of the cupboard at high level (just under the countertop) and are clearly labeled (traffolite labels) I do not possibly see how they could be obstructed by junk, be inaccessible or be forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I can not envisage a situation in the future where such switches would be an advantage to me either.

One advantage is it can help quickly identify a problem socket/appliance tripping an RCD because they isolate phase and neutral.

Other than that, they are a bit of a nuisance to install at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Again I agree with 2011. Dishwashers/washing machines/microwaves/fridges etc don't have a standy by setting. I've yet to see a good reason for this rule.
    For the isolator?
    That might be good argument in a commercial place, where lots of different people would not be expected to know there's hidden switches. But this applies to domestic dwellings, where people own and live in the premises, so it's fair to assume that they will know that the switches are there.
    Good idea. The op could try this if the electrician is still not will to play ball.

Advertisement