Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Real Holocaust: Dresden -- 13 February 1945

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Nhead wrote: »
    Jaysus ladies and gents how did a holocaust thread turn to Brit bashing??I know some people disagree with Britain but really..

IMO I think there is a difference between mindful bashing and reacting to the Brits being held up as paragons of virtue. There is a deal of that on here too you know.

So funny to see people lecture about Irish people who fought for freedom in Ireland get blackened when civilians die (example Kevin Myers about the 14 year old shot dead for trying to raise the alarm about the Rising), yet people will gloss over the carpet bombing of tens of thousands of civilians and just say "ah sure, it was a war like":rolleyes:

Yes, that is a really good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'v read a lot about Dresden and it was all horrid reading but everything to do with that war was horrid, If Hitler had nuclear weapons we would discussing the deaths of at least a million in London now, There was no need to fire-storm Dresden but it send a message to the German public that resistance to the allies was futile and I think the Germans got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

MarchDub wrote: »
    This is out of line IMO - how much time do you spend contributing to the H & H forum?

About as much time as the OP - why? Do you have to post a certain number of times before you can post...oh hang on a minute, that doesn't make sense.

If you read my post carefully I am suggesting that the users of H&H have a rather more balanced response to emotive hystrionics than AH. Of course you may feel that the OP's sudden attack of 'shock horror' about a 65 year old tragedy of war that he has only just heard about is warrented. In that case I will leave you to apply sal volatile and talk him through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

MarchDub wrote: »
    IMO I think there is a difference between mindful bashing and reacting to the Brits being held up as paragons of virtue. There is a deal of that on here too you know.

Of course. It's always pointed out too :D

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    About as much time as the OP - why? Do you have to post a certain number of times before you can post...oh hang on a minute, that doesn't make sense.

If you read my post carefully I am suggesting that the users of H&H have a rather more balanced response to emotive hystrionics than AH. Of course you may feel that the OP's sudden attack of 'shock horror' about a 65 year old tragedy of war that he has only just heard about is warrented. In that case I will leave you to apply sal volatile and talk him through it.

The point I was making is that your post added nothing to the discussion but incitement.

Whether you agree or disagree with the OP is within reason but give your sources for doing so - but you didn't do this. Furthermore, suggesting a post was only posted to get 'thanks' is simply asinine and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Dude111 wrote: »
    http://globalfire.tv/nj/08en/history/dresden.htm

How approximately 500,000 Germans were exterminated in one night

Very very sad....

I AM JUST SO SICK OF ALL THIS EVIL AND THE HUMAN ANIMAL RACE IN GENERAL..... NO OTHER LIFEFORM DOES THIS AND ITS JUST SICK..

A discussion on Dresden would be welcome on this forum however I have misgivings about the thread title and the first post. I would ask for the OP to clarify what is meant by the 'real' holocaust.

I feel it is also important for people posting to understand that the link in the OP is very dubious. Although the linked page is unclear it appears the article quoted is taken from the Barnes review. This is a publication that should be treated carefully as it has got a reputation. Here is a link to a barnes review piece that claims Hitler was deserving of the nobel prize:
    If anyone deserved the Nobel Peace Prize, it was Adolf Hitler. Hitler did not want war. World War II was forced on Germany. Poland was encouraged to attack Germany by the promises of British Ambassador Sir Howard William Kennard and French Ambassador Leon Noel. They promised unconditionally that England and France would come to Poland’s immediate aid should she need it in case of war with Germany; therefore, no matter what Poland did to provoke Germany’s attack, Poland had an assurance from England and France. With this guarantee, Poland began acting ruthlessly. In addition, Kennard and Noel flattered Poland into thinking she was a great power. http://www.barnesreview.org/index.php?main_page=document_product_info&cPath=89_111&products_id=502
    And a review of the barnes review
    Founded by Willis Carto in 1994, The Barnes Review (TBR) is one of the most virulent anti-Semitic organizations around. Its flagship journal, The Barnes Review, and its website, Barnesreview.org, are dedicated to historical revisionism and Holocaust denial. http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/groups/barnes-review
    The Barnes review is the product of Willis Carto, well known for his views http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/carto.asp?xpicked=2&item=carto
    and a piece on his writings http://www.nizkor.org/faqs/ihr/ihr-faq-02.html

The OP should clarify if they are aware of the nature of the articles source in this case. My apologies to those interested in this subject- I am locking the thread as I await clarification from OP, however if anyone wants to start a discussion on Dresden or WWII in general the subject would be welcomed. Should anyone have comment on this please PM me.

Moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement