Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US spouse coming to live in Ireland

Options
  • 19-10-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where else to put this as there isn't a general Ireland board. So mods please feel free to move to another forum if more appropriate.

I'm getting married in December to my american Fiancé. We are actually getting married in the US but then after the honeymoon we will be coming back to live in Ireland for at least 8 -12 months possibly more. I currently live in Ireland, and by Fiancé is in the US. So I just wanted to know if there is any kind of visa or anything I need to do so that my Fiancé, who will then be my wife, will be able to come and stay in the country. I've had a look on some of the websites but wasn't really able to get a clear picture of what needs to be done, so was wondering does anyone know.

Also in a similar vain, when I got over there to get married, I'm only going to be there for a about a week(planning on going over on the 7th Dec, wedding on the 11th, and then stick around for a bit with fam till like 15th/16th and go on honeymoon outside US, and come back in around the 26th/27th. Stay for another 4 or 5 days for my wife to pack her stuff and then back to Ireland.)

I was just going to go on the visa waiver tourist visa as I won't be staying on and just bring along a note from my boss saying i'm coming back to work and maybe some bank statements or others things to show i'm coming back. I was thinking of not mentioning that I'm coming in for a wedding, and just saying i'm coming in for a holiday, so I don't get hassled about the wedding part. Is this going to be alright or would I have to disclose that I'm going to get married there and let them know everything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's fine for you to say you are going on a holiday/ to see friends. But do not lie: if they ask you whether you have a girlfriend/ whether you plan on getting married (unlikely, but not impossible), tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

could you not apply for a fiance visa for yourself instead of lying in teh visa waiver application?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Getting a fiancé visa takes about 5 months and is only really needed if you are wanting to go over there earlier to live and or stay on after. As I'm only going to be going over of like 2 weeks or so I don't really need to get on of those. I don't have time to get one either. Also I wasn't intending on lying in any of the forms or to any of the customs officers. I have an ESTA already from previous visits. When at the immigration officer if he asks me about that stuff I'm not going to lie about it. I just didn't want to particularly lead with that one as I will likely end up having to go into the secondary section and be there for 30/40 mins discussing it with them.

Was just wondering does anyone else have experience over going over to get married in the US and leaving straight after, and how it went for them?

Also would like to know about my first questions regarding her coming over here after the wedding and if there is anything I need to sort out prior to her arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Sorry OP can't help with you're original question but I'm pretty sure there is some stuff you have to get taken care of for her.

With regard to getting married in the US do you not need some visa to actually get married? I mean for the paperwork, your marriage licence and all that fun stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

migrantproject.ie has all the information u need for bringing your new non-eu spouse back to ireland

as for entering the states, its highly unlikely immigration are gonna ask you are u getting married? I did the same last year, no problems. Yer man didn't ask me anything, just stamped my passport and let me through. Don't worry about that at all.

Overall i found the whole getting married thing in the US really really easy, just pop by the local courthouse and fill in a form, easy peasy

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information guys. From reading through the pdf document about coming to ireland on the immigrant project website it looks like all my fiancé(who will be my wife when entering ireland) has to do is turn up at the immigration passport control and state her intention to apply for permanent residency and she then gets a temporary stamp in her passport and then applies for residency after that. I will be coming in with her. Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

thats right yeah

maybe bring bank statements with lots of cash in ur account just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

i brought my fiance and child here earlier this year from the us and it was far from easy, apart from the imigration officer from trim co.meath not informing us that an irish child entitles a non irish parent to a stamp 4 (3 year residency) he said he did not know what visa she should apply for and aimed us in the direction of the dept of justice who bounced us from one department to another for 6 months.

cool thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it INISsinu@justice.ie is also a good place for some more answers on this and they are quick enough to come back to you also. No more than a day like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I brought my wife back to ireland with me after we got married in the US. We just showed our marriage cert to the immigration officer in shannon and he stamped her passport and told us to make sure we registered with the gardai within 4 weeks. Went to the gardai the following week and got her immigrant id.

no problems at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

Exactly the same here, brought my wife back, and her son, and had her immigration card the next week at the local Garda station. All we needed were passports, birth certs and marriage cert.

If it's all above board then it's easy.

After that it's setting up an appointment for a PPS number and getting that done, which needs a bit more paperwork but it's fairly straightforward aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

c-90 wrote: »
    i brought my fiance and child here earlier this year from the us and it was far from easy, apart from the imigration officer from trim co.meath not informing us that an irish child entitles a non irish parent to a stamp 4 (3 year residency) he said he did not know what visa she should apply for and aimed us in the direction of the dept of justice who bounced us from one department to another for 6 months.

Me and my wife were going to wait until we came back from America to get married here, but after researching it, we realised it would be far easier if we were already married coming back, so we did and having that piece of paper made things so much easier.

For anyone in this position i'd recommend getting married before you come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

You don't need a fiance visa to get married in the US and then return to ireland.....the fiance visa is if you intend to stay in the US after the marriage.....you still qualify for the visa waiver program because your intentions are still just to visit the US, for less than 90 days, not work and then return to ireland.

As far as coming back to ireland with your new wife.......we did the same thing, we just had to show our marriage certificate at the airport when we arrived, the officer stamped my wifes passport and told her to register with our local garda station within 28 days.

We went there and had her resident card within a week.

Advertisement