Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to houses where owner dies and noone inherits?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,
    Was just wondering what happens to houses that are abandoned/no deeds can be found/owner has no family to leave house to?
    There are plenty of houses that are derelict around the country, I was wondering what becomes of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The council eventually take ownership. It is relatively rare that nobody is found.

The council sell them at auction generally

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rosemalin

Thanks Ray, I also found the following;

"If someone that owns property or land dies without a will and has no traceable family, the State, through the Chief State Solicitor's Office (CSSO) will advertise in the national press and the Law Society Gazette that it intends to take out a grant of letters of administration in relation to the dead person's estate and invite anyone who believes he or she has a claim on the property or land to come forward. If no one comes forward within a limited period (21 days), then the CSSO will take out a grant and then dispose of the assets (i.e., the land, property, etc.). If by chance a person with a claim has, for example, been living abroad for some period and was not aware of the CSSO's advertisement and disposal of assets, he or she can approach the CSSO and make claim to the assets. As these assets have been disposed of, the claim will be for the value of the assets. The CSSO usually treats such valid claims favourably - although legally it is not required to compensate."

Advertisement