Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Spanish/ Argentinian Restaurant in Maynooth

Options
  • 19-10-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

It's called "Picaderos". I've driven by it a couple of times in the past week at night as they've been finishing fitting it out and it looks like it's just about ready to open. It looks nice inside and hopefully the Tapas will be good too.

There's already a fair few restaurants on Main Street already though (Avenue, Greene's and a few Indians, Chinese etc....as well as all the pubs.). I'm not sure if there'll be enough business for them all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

I went to Twist Thur night around 7pm and it was closed - they also tried a tapas menu.

Is there demand for another restaurant in Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

It should be open tonight. I called in on Saturday and they were just waiting for the sign off from the Fire Safety Officer.

It's owned/run by the same family as Donatello's so they know the market in Maynooth.

Think they're bringing over chefs from Spain.

While the market is saturated in Maynooth, good places remain busy generally.

It's tapas and Argentinian steaks. hmm steak.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Maynooth for the food:)

No matter what kind of night out you want and what your budget is there is somewhere to eat in Maynooth!

We don't get to go out often but I love the Stone Haven and Royal City and The Elite for cakes and coffee:)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

ixus wrote: »
    It should be open tonight.

Thanks for that info. Am going to have to head soon for one of the above-mentioned steaks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Saw this recently en route to Twist for a first visit .Maynooth really is becoming foodie heaven for diners of all budgets !!!Greenes , Bon Bon and the ice cream stand in the Manor Mills centre are highlights for me .Still hard to beat the da Vincis 20 euro early bird/ special - starter , main , wine and coffee -in Leixlip and their kids meal deal -starter , main , drink , 'play' dough and roller etc to mess about with, colouring and balloon for 8.95.
    Looking forward to trying Picaderos,maybe even today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Will have to give it a try alright but I have to say if I'm going out for dinner it takes an awful lot to sway me away from Avenue. I've never had bad service in there (unlike Greene's where it seems to happen every time, and the seats and tables aren't the right height for each other) and the food is amazing!

I will be give the new place a shot though! Any excuse to go out for dinner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

I feel the exact opposite angeldelight...went to Avenue once ,feel no need to return ,have been in Greenes probably a dozen or more times and LOVE it.Dining al fresco in Greenes on a warm Summer's evening is divine ...Penne Chorizo is UNBELIEVABLE!I guess 'nowadays' we need to balance quality with price but when I visited Avenue money certainly wasnt 'too tight to mention' and I still left feeling short changed .Moyglare House was such a swanky dining experience ....shame to imagine its lying idle now...Let us know how Picadero's is ...

Would love to hear any reviews of this place if anyone goes! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We are going on Tuesday I will report back!

The staff were lovely when we wondered in so lets hope the food matches:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 David J L

Was in the new restaurant Picaderos on Saturday night for dinner.

1. Great atmosphere
    2. Great food- steaks and tapas v v impressive!
    3. Fantastic service, waiting staff v attentive, quick and friendly
    4. Value for money
    5. Will be back...soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

any online menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

2011abc wrote: »
    Saw this recently en route to Twist for a first visit .Maynooth really is becoming foodie heaven for diners of all budgets !!!Greenes , Bon Bon and the ice cream stand in the Manor Mills centre are highlights for me .Still hard to beat the da Vincis 20 euro early bird/ special - starter , main , wine and coffee -in Leixlip and their kids meal deal -starter , main , drink , 'play' dough and roller etc to mess about with, colouring and balloon for 8.95.
    Looking forward to trying Picaderos,maybe even today!

Alvitos, Da Vinci's, and Da Mario's are all better value Italian's IMO, (Pizza's are all "delish-er" anyways) wish one of them would open a branch in Maynooth! (although that could be bad news for the diet :D )

Would also like to see an online menu for Picadaros, too cold to be standing at the window trying to figure out the meals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Crom_Abú

Steaks... amazing!

6 of us went there for dinner last night.

The soup was gorgeous, the rest of the starters were ok but nothing exceptional.
    There were 3 different steaks ordered rib eye,fillet and forget the 3rd all were cooked as ordered and the veg was served appropriately on a different plate:)
    The paella was lovely but way too salty.
    There is a good wine list but the only non alcoholic drinks are the usual coke,7up or a choice of juice.
    The coffee was nice.

The staff were good and there is a nice atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 esauritorix

I was there yesterday evening and I kinda agree, the atmosphere was friendly and the staff was helpful, however the food gave me thoughts. The paella was more an overcooked risotto that was left there with a Valencia's postcard nearby. Asado was very tender and tasty but we asked for a medium and it came well done. Chicken wings as starter were delicious but a bit overcooked too. Desert was the amazing part, chocolate fondant with ice cream was great. I would probably go back and see how the tapas are. hope it helps:cool:

The tapas was beautiful and would go back just for the meatballs. The staff were v friendly and the service exceptional. Desserts were great. Had the fondant and baileys cheesecake, both amazing. Their site is picaderos.ie according to receipt but is still under construction. Would certainly recommend and visit again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ReallyWiggy

Just back from Sunday lunch there today and heres a summary

Positives:
    Childrens menu - great choice and great value

Neutral
    Service - we were there early ~1pm and there were more waiters than diners, still waited to order, ask for bill, have bill collected etc. Inbetween though they were helpful

Negatives
    PRICE - €6.75 for a 330 ml glass of beer :eek: is excessive, €6.50 for some deep fried cubed potatoes with 8 half slices of chorizo on top is too much, €7 for manchego cheese with nothing but very light olive oil poured over also too much. Even for tapas the portions are small. My opinion is that although the atmospehere and decor here is nicer, Twist around the corner is far better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

Was there for lunch Tuesday last week

Service - excellent
    Tapas - Tasty & good value (especially with 2 tapas & drink deal)
    Facitilies - great

I can't really fault it - the tapas portions seemed small at the outset, but by the time we'd munched through them we were pretty full

I hope to go there for dinner soon

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

I remember one thing now - the desserts seemed very expensive compared to the rest of the menu - €7 a pop - seemed a bit excessive for lunchtime.

Didn't try one in the end - couldn't justify the price, we are in a recession after all!

Top Marks all around from the Liffey Champion Review today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Al deMarisco

Tried the new restaurant last week, and all of us in the party agree we wouldn't be coming back, the decor while nice from the outside had a real flat pack feel to it, the service was ok nothing out of the ordinary, but the food was the major let down, expensive, inconsistent cooking and the flavours just weren't there. I've been to all of the eateries in town and just find it impossible to go past Greene's for mid week value at €17 for 2 course early bird and a free glass of their Italian house wine it takes some beating. Service I've always found excellent not in your face just super professional and friendly, I will always go for an special occasion or any excuse at all. Lest we forget their new chicken wings better then Elephant and Castle in Dublin...yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

SQ2 wrote: »
    Top Marks all around from the Liffey Champion Review today

I somehow call into the question the joirnalistic integrity of the Liffey Champion restaurant reviewer, from my casual reading of the articles nearly every place around deserves a Michellin Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Staplor wrote: »
    I somehow call into the question the joirnalistic integrity of the Liffey Champion restaurant reviewer, from my casual reading of the articles nearly every place around deserves a Michellin Star.
    She is a generous reviewer but I remember that she gave the Setanta house a bad review a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Ok one bad review in a few years? That reviewer is massively kind, that or I must be very unfortunate when dining in the area :P

I'm not sure I've seen her give a top mark in everything! She gave the royal city a near 1 star all round last year as far as I remember! Anyways, just another opinion like any of the above. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

In fairness she can't go around nowadays slating restaurants and cafes in the area. One bad review could put a business under with jobs lost and everything. I'm sure she's thinking about the bigger picture when she's writing reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ilrossoneri

Is this an advertisment for greenes??? Sound like self praise! Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

The food in Greenes is good but the service is so slow.

Have booked the restaurant in this thread next weekend so will add my review then.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Was there last week for tapas. Tasty enough but small portions compared to similar places in town, pretty limited selection (e.g. paella is included as tapas dish in other places), and was quite expensive too. Main courses seem way OTT compared to other places in town. Probably won't be back until they get a bit of sense with their pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ilrossoneri

Limited selection? I got 3 different menus when I was there last thursday, early bird, a la carte & tapas, which had over 50 items to choose from. Plus they had an American thanksgiving special 3 courses including basted turkey and the works for €24! Fantastic choice if you ask me? And ice had paella in both salamanca and port house and neither are anything like it, more like coloured rice with frozen seafood!

Advertisement