Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

just emailed claddaghoil, corriboil, citybin, texoil, cosyhomeheating to let them know about this thread, if they take a look maybe we can get them interested...

btw, how about boardsdeals.ie getting involved in something like this?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jasus, that was quick, citybin's reply:

"Thanks for the email. We are looking with great interest at the changes in the market place and the buying behaviours of our customers. Regarding the Home Heating Oil group buying, we would welcome discussions with any serious group of residents. As you mentioned, posting on Boards.ie would only ban us from the conversation, hence we cannot express our view on it. But if you want more details about what we can do for yourself and your neighbours you can give me a call directly on 091787813 or freefone 1800248924."

it sounds like they're willing to listen to proposals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭billlumbergh

i'd definately be interested in this. looking to get probably 1000 litres! Live in Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And me in Shantalla and flingfolk in Salthill.
    If you're in either of those 2 areas and want oil within a month post here.
    We'll see if we can get a good deal.

I'd be looking at 500L

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I'd be interested also. I am in Knocknacarra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

Hi there I'm totally interested in "oil-pooling", probably around the 500L too. I live in Salthill. Great idea BTW!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

bagels wrote: »
    I'm willing to link up with others in the Tuam area.

+1 tuam / claregalway area

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

jkforde wrote: »
    jasus, that was quick, citybin's reply:

"Thanks for the email. We are looking with great interest at the changes in the market place and the buying behaviours of our customers. Regarding the Home Heating Oil group buying, we would welcome discussions with any serious group of residents. As you mentioned, posting on Boards.ie would only ban us from the conversation, hence we cannot express our view on it. But if you want more details about what we can do for yourself and your neighbours you can give me a call directly on 091787813 or freefone 1800248924."

it sounds like they're willing to listen to proposals.

Folks I am going to give them a ring now and see what they propose. I will post as soon as I get feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Spoke to someone in citybin (the oil company). While they are very supportive of group purchase schemes, logistically it makes sense for them to offer this on an estate or small geographical area basis.

They are very willing to offer a bulk discount and will also help facilitate the process of getting your neighbors on board.

Very impressed with their flexibility and customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

+1 Headford area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

+1 on salthill. 1000 litres if the price is right

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

+ 1 - Moycullen area

good man portcrap. we're in Fort Lorenzo area and prob looking for 500L, 1000L if decent savings are offered. how about a google document or something like it to collect names and order info?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah it does make more sense if it's 5-10 people on the same street or estate.
    I'll just ask my neighbours, maybe we can get something going here.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hi,
    This seems like a great idea! I am in Shantalla as well and would be happy to get oil soon if it suits the collective.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 matchball

Hi,
    I've been following the thread for a bit and pulling together is a great idea, I'm interested too. I'm based in Salthill and looking to get 1000L if the price is right. I'm running low, so will probably need to get a fill in the next week or so.
    Just heard of a new company ACOS OIL which has just started up in town, a friend of a friend just told me about, they would probably jump at a chance to get the business. I can give the a ring to sound it out if you think it's worthwhile?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Would it be worthwhile setting up a Google Group (similar to jkforde's suggestion) to store and communicate the info?

Or Biko, could we set up a sub-forum of Galway City?

We could set up a different discussion (thread) for each area and let people post their requirements.

Rather than have a thread for every estate, it might be better to have a thread at a level such as
    Knocknacarra - Cappagh Rd,
    Knocknacarra - Ballymoneen Rd,
    Knocknacarra - Shangort Rd
    etc.

What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Oil went down over $5 per barrel today on the markets and seems to be heading back towards the lows of the last 12 months - it might be worth hanging on a little longer to see when these price drops are reflected in the price the consumer pays, although knowing how things normally go here that probably won't happen. When talking with the oil companies it might be worth asking why, when the price of a barrel of oil in October 2010 was approximately the same as it is now, the average price of 1,000 litres home heating oil cost €660, now the average is €820? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

In Highfield and would be interested in joining in here too!

It's a great idea.Hope it works out for everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Its a good idea but this old thread on boards bothers me though LINK
    Are the Cartel days over?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

Great idea. I'm in Corrach Bui in Westside and would need to get oil soon. Let us know when you get a deal and i might be able to get some of the neighbours on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 matchball

Hi,
    I contacted the owner/operator of ACOS OIL this morning and he was very keen on the idea. Like what was discussed above by others he said if there was a group of us together he would give us together he could do a very good rate based upon the total amount ordered e.g. price for 5000 litres and a price for 10000 litres etc.
    Logistically he said it would be better if we are all in and around the same area (one side of the city) this would make planning the delivery much easier and practical.
    Another thing he suggested which I thought was a good idea was for the ordering process, instead of us all having to post our address here and say how much we want and when etc. That we could all contact him individually (quoting a boards reference possibly) around the same time as each other and he would keep the rate open for a certain length of time to allow us get our orders in. He seems very keen about the idea and eager to get his business going. Anyway, if anyone else wants to contact him to see if you can improve on this, his number was 087 xxx

On another note, spoke with my sister last night and she is interested too, she is in Knocknacarra and is looking for 500L.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

matchball wrote: »
    Hi,
    I contacted the owner/operator of ACOS OIL this morning and he was very keen on the idea. Like what was discussed above by others he said if there was a group of us together he would give us together he could do a very good rate based upon the total amount ordered e.g. price for 5000 litres and a price for 10000 litres etc.
    Logistically he said it would be better if we are all in and around the same area (one side of the city) this would make planning the delivery much easier and practical.
    Another thing he suggested which I thought was a good idea was for the ordering process, instead of us all having to post our address here and say how much we want and when etc. That we could all contact him individually (quoting a boards reference possibly) around the same time as each other and he would keep the rate open for a certain length of time to allow us get our orders in. He seems very keen about the idea and eager to get his business going. Anyway, if anyone else wants to contact him to see if you can improve on this, his number was 087 x

On another note, spoke with my sister last night and she is interested too, she is in Knocknacarra and is looking for 500L.

Did he say what the rate might be exactly?
    Maybe if we post the rates offered companies might be "encouraged" to be more competitive. There definitely looks like there's quite a bit in it for them as well as us if it goes to plan.

The Westside of the city seems to be very well represented here and I'd say they'd get quite a few deliveries within a short distance.

not sure if it'll be useful but created a Google map to track where people are and what amount of oil they're looking for. not going to post the link here so PM if interested in adding to it. you'll need to have a google account to be able to add your info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We paid €810 for 1,000 litres on Tuesday to The Oil Company (it may be Clifden Oil Company). Top had quoted €815 if we were a first time customer, or €440 for 500 litres.

I think that group buying is an excellent idea. Well done to whoever thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

We really need to see some figures from the companies, see who is going to do the best deal and then the idea of a Boards reference number is a good one.

For people who aren't able to pay a one-off payment, some of the companies do a deal where you can get your fill of oil and set up a direct debit with them and pay weekly or monthly.

We should think of some other uses for this group buying if it works out - we could set up a Boards co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

+1 500l in Knocknacarra Brilliant Idea:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm sure I've heard of small groups of neighbours have done group buying in the past in east galway.
    They do it in the UK anyway. http://www.oilconsolidation.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

count me in!!! knocknacarra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

hey i am jst thinking out loud here, but if we got someone from each estate - maybe a residents committee member or something to contact all of each estate and ordered by boards with a sub group for each estate would we get a better deal - it would make it easier for the oil companies - what do ye think????

Advertisement