Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Got from the oil company the other day, 500L for 438.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    Got from the oil company the other day, 500L for 438.

Did you get a free watch with that?

Actually I got a free calendar*

*for sale shortly, only 20E for yoo ma freends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

website is quoting me 89.66 cents per litre

Just got quote for 500 litres @ 88c/litre, using Eflow2011 promotional code. The Eflow discount is a flat rate at €7.50/500L.

Obviously has just gone up by 2.5c/litre. I'm glad I got mine at 85.5c before the price hike!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Heating oil is not going up in price until May 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I've run out and pay day isn't til next week so just wanted to throw in 20 litres or something ... is there any places selling small quantites as opposed to the minimum order or a couple of hundred litres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

headmaster wrote: »
    Heating oil is not going up in price until May 2012.

That would be the carbon levy, if price of oil keeps rising then price will increase also it will go up with the VAT increase of 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

mor oil in lough atalia road have it on the pump, take as much or as little as you want.

westgolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Curvepro

That would be the carbon levy, if price of oil keeps rising then price will increase also it will go up with the VAT increase of 2%.

VAT rate is 13.5% on home heating oil. This rate will not go up in Jan.
    €425 for 500 lts during the week from Claddagh Oil....
    Two or three phone calls to different suppliers....Haggle started out at €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Or Corrib Oil on the Tuam Rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Called Claddagh Oil who quoted €450. I tried for €425 but said they'd have to talk to "the boss".

Ran out this morning so really needed it today. Saw Top.ie with Eflow2011 code was €440. Rang them to ensure it would be delievered today and it was €445.

Ah well.

Doh! Got a call back and they offered it for €420! could have saved €25. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I refused to give them business recently as they had the "if you do better elsewhere, call back" line. They either have a price for me or they dont. I went with the best initial quote which was 30 euro less than Claddagh oil anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Just checked Cheapest Oil for 500 litres

€434.50 Jones Oil
    €440.82 Top with Eflow2011 code
    €444 Sutton Oil
    €445 Corrib Oil
    €445 Texoil
    €445 Cosyhome heating

Anyone get cheaper by ringing up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I can never trust that they'll fill the quantity you pay for, especially after haggling down the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

Just checked Cheapest Oil for 500 litres

€434.50 Jones Oil
    €440.82 Top with Eflow2011 code
    €444 Sutton Oil
    €445 Corrib Oil
    €445 Texoil
    €445 Cosyhome heating

Anyone get cheaper by ringing up?

got cosyhome heating @ E430 yesterday
    foto joe wrote: »
    I can never trust that they'll fill the quantity you pay for, especially after haggling down the price!
    you should receive a digital print out of what you were given. These cannot be tampered with, so give percise measurements. If you still don't trust them you can buy measuring sticks for oil tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

foto joe wrote: »

Good advice, to be filed under B for Buyer Beware.

This is why I always get a Per Litre quote, even though I often have to ask them twice for it when on the phone.

In the past I have ordered 500 litres at an agreed price per litre, only to have them leave me several litres short and then try to charge me the full cost of 500 litres. When that happened I simply paid for the amount actually delivered, at the original quoted Per Litre price. They queried it, but hadn't a leg to stand on.

Some spam and follow-up posts removed. The company is already mentioned in this thread by an established poster so no-one is missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

Corib oil ************** 865 (1000L) ********* 445 (500L) https://www.corriboil.com/modules/Co...aspx?TreeID=68
    Top Oil **************** 855 (1000L) *** 440.10 (500L) https://www.top.ie/OrderOil.aspx
    Texoil ****************** 865 (1000) ********* 445 (500) http://www.texoil.ie/Galway/
    City Bin ************** 835 (1000) ********* 432.50(500) http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php...customer-order
    Jones Oil ************ 849 (1000) ********** 429.5 (500) https://www.jonesoil.ie/order-online/
    Suttons Oil ******** 865 (1000) ********* 441.50 (500) http://www.suttonsoil.ie/

I'll go with citybin because they can deliver tomorrow.
    Happy Christmas!!!

Anyone get oil recently? It's barely been 6 weeks and we've burned through our 500l. Seems hard to believe considering the mild weather. Anyhow, time to go shopping again. What prices have ye paid recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

You must have it on morning noon and night if it's gone in 6 weeks. 500 litres should last 3 or 4 months. Has it been robbed? Make sure you have a lock on it at least to deter them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

@newkie

When did you last have your boiler serviced? We found it makes a huge difference in oil consumption.
    We got 500 l at the end of October and will have to top up next week! 4/5 bed semi-d with converted attic.

@newkie

When did you last have your boiler serviced? We found it makes a huge difference in oil consumption.
    We got 500 l at the end of October and will have to top up next week! 4/5 bed semi-d with converted attic.

Good tip! Actually had it serviced during the summer. It had never been serviced before and he told us he thought it would save us at least 1 fill a year in efficiency. It's possible its not as low as I think it is. It is fenced and requires a ladder just to peer in the top. Can be a bit hard to judge... usually I know when the house is cold and the boiler has run dry. I'm thinking of getting one of those Watchman Sonar gadgets to get a better idea the real level and stop me having to bleed the boiler after every fill.

All that said, even if there's a bit more left than I thought, I might top up. No harm. Seems .87 or .88 / liter is going rate. Anyone do better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I didn't do better - We paid €450 for 500l today with Naughton Oil . (so .90/litre)

Sniipe wrote: »
    I didn't do better - We paid €450 for 500l today with Naughton Oil . (so .90/litre)

Just got a price from Corrib on 1000l for .86/litre; Top (with Eflow2011) came out to .865/litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

I rang all the oil companies that serve Galway City today.

The cheapest deal for 500 litres of kerosene (home heating) oil was €448 (The Oil Company).

The cheapest deal for 1000 litres of kerosene was €865 (Mc Mahon's were initially the lowest at €870, but then I haggled with Corrib Oil who initially quoted €875 and then reduced to €865).

I consistently find exactly a €30 euro difference between the cheapest and the dearest quote for 1000 litres. By ringing around all the oil companies, one can potentially save €30 each time. Multiply €30 euro by 10 years, assuming just one very modest 1000 litres of oil per annum, and you have the price of two I-Pods or one 32 inch LCD telly. So it's worth ringing around.

The dearest 500 litres of kerosene today was €480 (Corrib Oil) and the dearest 1000 litres was €895 (Suttons).

I found the best service and willingness to do business today from Corrib Oil and The Oil Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Got a txt from TEXOIL:-

Valentines special offer 250 Litres home heating oil for €235, Order before 5pm on the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

paulgalway wrote: »
    Got a txt from TEXOIL:-

Valentines special offer 250 Litres home heating oil for €235, Order before 5pm on the 14th.
    Just to let you know that I heard from some friends that some oil delivery drivers cheating when putting oil to the tank.

I mean they write 200 litres on invoice but in tank is much less.

Did you heard about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

fAzI wrote: »
    Just to let you know that I heard from some friends that some oil delivery drivers cheating when putting oil to the tank.

I mean they write 200 litres on invoice but in tank is much less.

Did you heard about this?

Dealt with 2 or 3 different companies over the years and never got a hand written invoice.

The invoice has the lorry's meter reading at the start and end.

The meters are independently verified.

• Advertisement

Don't buy your oil from the dodgy fella with the white van and you'll be ok.

Advertisement