Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

paulgalway wrote: »
    Dealt with 2 or 3 different companies over the years and never got a hand written invoice.

The invoice has the lorry's meter reading at the start and end.

The meters are independently verified.

you can cheating lorry's meter reading as well. it's so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

fAzI wrote: »
    you can cheating lorry's meter reading as well. it's so easy.

So, how can you ensure you are not getting cheated?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

all oil companies have measuring sticks that you can use to check the levels of oil in the drum. The next time your order oil just ask for one, most companies give them out for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

all oil companies have measuring sticks that you can use to check the levels of oil in the drum. The next time your order oil just ask for one, most companies give them out for free.

As you say make sure you ask when you order as most drivers wouldn't necessary carry them with them.

Anyways they are no better than using an old broom stick as each oil company would only have one generic stick and as each tank is a different size/shape it wont tell you what is in it, you will need to do the maths yourself.

For convenience you really cant beat the measure below, but its difficult to fit so only really worth it if you buy a new tank. Once its fitted you can monitor your volume without any messing with a ladder/smelly measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

This is what I use.

http://oiltankmonitor.com/default.aspx

Very handy. I have it plugged into a socket on a wall in the kitchen nearest the oil tank. No problems so far.

apollo_standard_white.png

• Advertisement

Just haggled a wee bit with Texoil and they matched Top Oil's online price (using promotional code) of €448 for 500 litres of kerosene HHO. Texoil said the price is good value, and I believe them.

The Oil Company said they'd phone back but haven't done so yet. I hope for my sake they're not significantly cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    apollo_standard_white.png
    How hard is it to install these on older tanks that aren't pre-drilled? I'd imagine it would be a serious pain to drill a tank which is in-use.

Can't help you there, sorry.

Try asking the manufacturer, perhaps? Of the tank, or the Apollo...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

Was going to order some oil tonight but was shocked at the prices 98.5cent from city bin 98cent from corrib oil and 100.25 cent from top. That's the guts of euro1000 to fill the tank. Other than the vat increase did I miss something major that caused this big jump in price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Muppet2006 wrote: »
    Was going to order some oil tonight but was shocked at the prices 98.5cent from city bin 98cent from corrib oil and 100.25 cent from top. That's the guts of euro1000 to fill the tank. Other than the vat increase did I miss something major that caused this big jump in price?

I guess you haven't heard oil prices are simply on the increase.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17094275

The VAT hike is in June I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was going to order some oil tonight but was shocked at the prices 98.5cent from city bin 98cent from corrib oil and 100.25 cent from top. That's the guts of euro1000 to fill the tank.

The more you buy, the more price per litre decreases. How little were you going to purchase?
    There's a carbon levy increase due on 1 May. This will add another €14-€15 to the cost of 1000l of kerosene.

newkie wrote: »

I guess you haven't heard oil prices are simply on the increase.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17094275

The VAT hike is in June I think.

That's kind of my point. They're just simply increasing. There are various small things being used to drive up prices. We're in a recession, you'd expect the price to drop or at least stabilise.

I'm pretty sure the vat went to 23% on the 1st January.

That's kind of my point. They're just simply increasing. There are various small things being used to drive up prices.
    We're in a recession, you'd expect the price to drop or at least stabilise.

Why :confused:

23% Vat does not apply to kerosene

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's kind of my point. They're just simply increasing. There are various small things being used to drive up prices.
    We're in a recession, you'd expect the price to drop or at least stabilise.

Why :confused:

23% Vat does not apply to kerosene

You're right. So vat has nothing to do with it. Just pure greed by the oil companies.

You're right. So vat has nothing to do with it. Just pure greed by the oil companies.

Really?
    I did not realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/515/deals/278890-full-boiler-service

Living Social have a special offer today of a boiler service for €29. Not exactly on topic but we have discussed how servicing can help efficient use of oil so it might be worth a look for someone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 intermittent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dolly Jones

4 of my neighbours and myself have gone together 3 times now to price & buy oil, the best price we got was from a local company called The Oil Company and they also give us a call every 6 months or so to check if we are OK

Can you give a rough idea of the discount you got on the normal price?
    Don't be too specific!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

any latest prices? got a quote for 500l for €454 from Cosyhomeheating.ie, any better than that in the last few days? ta

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From my experiences in Galway - Home heating oil is on its way back up after taking a brief dip :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

jkforde wrote: »
    any latest prices? got a quote for 500l for €454 from Cosyhomeheating.ie, any better than that in the last few days? ta
    No - Texoil quoted me €465 for 500lts yesterday but got it for €460

• Registered Users Posts: 8 inger

So, anyone know which oil company does the lowest minimal delivery, in Galway city?
    I think Corrib does 150Euro, but I think I heard some other crowd doing 100 - just don't remember which one.

Thanks for the tips on takeaway oil from Texaco or Corrib, however I'd prefer home delivery than messing with drums.
    But if that's the only option - is it easy to take home 50 liters in a small car, and fill up the tank? Do I need to buy a drum and a hose to or can I borrow those? (I'm pretty sure i need them only once)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Corrib sell 25L drums in the depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

It already comes in drums , you don't need funnel,hose etc. Just unscrew your cap and pour in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

inger wrote: »
    So, anyone know which oil company does the lowest minimal delivery, in Galway city?
    I think Corrib does 150Euro, but I think I heard some other crowd doing 100 - just don't remember which one.

Thanks for the tips on takeaway oil from Texaco or Corrib, however I'd prefer home delivery than messing with drums.
    But if that's the only option - is it easy to take home 50 liters in a small car, and fill up the tank? Do I need to buy a drum and a hose to or can I borrow those? (I'm pretty sure i need them only once)
    Topaz Silver Strand have 25 litre cans for sale. You won't need any hoses or that (but a good siphon is always handy to have) with a 25l can, just take your time and you should get away with a butchered plastic drinks bottle (bigger the better) as a funnel.

Cheers everyone for the tips. Silvestrand is 5 mins from here so will be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Here's a little tip for anyone wanting to pour from a 25litre drum into a bigger tank feeding a boiler.
    1.get something stable to stand on if necessary
    2.a big plastic drink container with the bottom cut off makes a handy funnel. It may not be any wider than the mouth of the tank, but raising it up can be handy.
    3. Are you strong enough to hold a 25l drum of diesel at shoulder height for 2-3 minutes?
    4.hold the drom with the hole at the top when pouring, this helps prevent airlock/splashes
    5.or you could siphon it.

Thanks bonzodog2, that's really useful.

BTW, I'm actually looking for kerosene - can I get that at the places mentioned?
    Or, won't diesel damage the burner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Corrib Oil on the Tuam Rd should have kerosene. I don't think diesel will damage a kero burner, but may not run well on it.

Advertisement