Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Just found this recently.

Heating Equipment testing & Approval Scheme (HETAS) UK, Wood Fuel Guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Fey! wrote: »
    We pay €4 for a fertiliazer bag of wood,

Where do you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

what about this

http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/firewood-free-delivery/6272119

depends on wood type and quality, but fine load

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Looks from pic like wood is stored outside but yeah get a bag (I see from his other ads he sells bags too) and if it's good wood get more?

GY A1 wrote: »
    what about this

http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/firewood-free-delivery/6272119

depends on wood type and quality, but fine load

A "load" is a bit of a movable feast, and I'd like to know what the seller means by "dry". Looks impressive though.

Incidentally, for those who care about such things, Maplin sells a moisture meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A "load" is a bit of a movable feast, and I'd like to know what the seller means by "dry". Looks impressive though.

Incidentally, for those who care about such things, Maplin sells a moisture meter.

there is thread in forestry section on moisture meter's,
    can be gotten at better value than that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

alexlyons wrote: »
    Where do you get that?

I've PM'd you his number (forum rules say I can't post his details here).

Kindling is available in Mr Price for €2.99 per bag. 2 or 3 pieces are enough to start a fire, so the bag last ages.

Got 500 litres of kerosene HHO yesterday from Sweeney for €420 (84c/L).

Rang around for best deal first, as usual. Dearest quote was 90c/L, most were 87-89c.

Pays to shop around, and haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Got 500 litres of kerosene HHO yesterday from Sweeney for €420 (84c/L).

Rang around for best deal first, as usual. Dearest quote was 90c/L, most were 87-89c.

Pays to shop around, and haggle.

yeah, Mór Oil's online price was €424 for 500l (no haggling online!.. could've got them down to 420 on the phone I reckon) and they delivered within 12 hours.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Got 500 litres of kerosene ONLINE today from Corrib Oil for €422.50 (84.5c/L).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

is it normal for oil companies to ask you to leave your back gates unlocked and tanks unlocked to deliver oil when they cannot come at a time that suits you to be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

fifib wrote: »
    is it normal for oil companies to ask you to leave your back gates unlocked and tanks unlocked to deliver oil when they cannot come at a time that suits you to be there?

How else are they meant to put the oil in? Of course it's normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    How else are they meant to put the oil in? Of course it's normal!

i mean as in leaving tank and garden open all day while your at work etc..
    no wonder people are having their oil robbed then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

fifib wrote: »
    i mean as in leaving tank and garden open all day while your at work etc..
    no wonder people are having their oil robbed then!

If you're working Monday - Friday, 9-5, you're not home for most of the oil company's own business hours. I know some will work earlier/later and some also on Saturdays, but they need to do as many calls as they can during the week too to make it a viable business.

If they can be there at Tuesday 2pm and you need the oil ASAP, then you need to facilitate that by either being there to open the gate and unlock the tank for them or else eliminating those obstacles so the oil man can come and go while you're at work.

If you're concerned about your oil being siphoned, I suggest you either leave the keys with a trusted neighbour who can be at the house at the desired time, or else arrange to take a break from work and let him in yourself and lock up again after.

It's not the oil companies' fault that oil gets stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

www.topoil.ie
    412 for 500L if you use promotional code 2020 when buying online.
    code 2020 is valid until May and you get 10 e off 500L and 20 off 1000L

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Does anyone know is there anywhere in or around the city that sells kerosene from the pump?

The garage on Tuam road used to (Flemings). They now have 20 litre containers priced at €22.

Garage at the pilllow hotel has the same containers, same price.

Just wondering is there anywhere else?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try Corrib Oil on Tuam Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

Kearney's service station on the docks and the Topaz in Carnmore definitely sell by the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Try Corrib Oil on Tuam Rd

Think they have a pump you can pay with by card 24 hours.
    Also the service station near the harbour hotel and the service station on road to Barna definitely have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Cheers folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

O'Farrell's in Salthill sell it too at the pump. Not sure how much they charge at the moment.
    The Petrol station at Silverstrand sell it too but seemingly only when it suits them and find they can be quite rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Will kick-off this year's cheapest heating oil exchange..Sweeney's are offering 500 litres of heating oil for €406... anyone secured anything better yet?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Has anyone priced home heating oil in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

€815 for 1,000 litres from Sweeney Oil.

Might be useful to split this oil thread into Cheap Oil 2014/15 etc. Beginning of this thread goes back to 2008...

Yeah the idea to have a big merge thread was/is to have a historical document with prices over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

biko wrote: »
    Yeah the idea to have a big merge thread was/is to have a historical document with prices over time.

I think that's a good idea.

This thread was the only way of knowing how much I paid last year too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Hi guys..
    so I have now a fireplace.. and not know much about it.. I ve been told that dried logs are the best, cause the burn longer...
    Where can I buy a small pallet of them?

On line I see prices like
    1.8 m3 Kiln Dried Ash €279(is that much?)

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

It's important that the logs you burn are dry (@ 17/18%) otherwise you risk putting partly burnt inflammable gases up your chimney.

The €279 sounds quite high. I paid that for a trailer of soft wood, though that needs to be seasoned.

If it really is hardwood, and really is kiln dried so that it is ready to burn, its probably a fair price.

I'd advise getting yourself a moisture metre before parting with your cash or putting wet rubbish on your fire:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Meter%C2%AE-Display-Digital-Moisture/dp/B00118SL6A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413202365&sr=8-2&keywords=moisture+metre

Have a read of this old thread. It has some suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

If its a closed stove Higgins in Shantalla has a great offer on megathem logs. Price of 3 packs at the same rate as what I paid for a tonne last year from woodireland.

Not suitable for open fires as they are too energy dense.

Advertisement