Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Would it not be slightly more useful if people posted the price per liter?

I paid €0.68 pl recently for kerosene from Cosgrave bros. in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

cnocbui wrote: »

It takes about 5 seconds to work it out in fairness.

Also price per litre can vary depending on how much you buy. ie, buy more and you can a cheaper litre rate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

cnocbui wrote: »

Actually NO.

Price varies depending on the size of the order, you get a better price if you order 900 ltrs than if you order 200 ltrs, so size does matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

Is this thread for Galway?

hanloj1 wrote: »
    Is this thread for Galway?

Ah, it is. I just saw the immediate thread title on the home page and replied to it without noticing the regional specificity. However, given the PPL around Galway, you might want to get it from limerick :)

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It takes about 5 seconds to work it out in fairness.

Also price per litre can vary depending on how much you buy. ie, buy more and you can a cheaper litre rate

Well since it's so little effort, it would be little effort for posters to work it out and report. Then it only has to be worked out once, whereas if there are 20 people reading the post, 20 times the effort is required.

But I'm obviously on a hiding to nothing so carry on with the idiosyncrasy. I am thankful petrol stations don't use it.
    Actually NO.

Price varies depending on the size of the order, you get a better price if you order 900 ltrs than if you order 200 ltrs, so size does matter.

Actually I would disagree with you as stating the price of 200L is x PL while the price of 900l is Y PL, is I think more informative and the fact it varies by quantity is even more obvious if the PPL is given.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone know a stockist for Ecobrite ? My usual supplier has run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Aldi (Westside) have bales of briquettes for €3.99 and also have 10kg bags of smokeless coal @ €5.99 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^
    And that's why I love Limerick people! They never give in.
    I can imagine this discussion going on in Collins's a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Cosyhome are usually the best price in galway.
    http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Galway.aspx :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Sweeney Oil quoting me 310 from 500l of kerosene... anything better out there?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Mor oil beating both sweeney and cosy...... everytime i check they do

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mor oil beating both sweeney and cosy...... everytime i check they do

Mor oil €304 for 500 litres.

Seems the cheapest I have seen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i've just ran out of oil and the house is freezing! anyone know where i can pick up some oil to get me through today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

i've just ran out of oil and the house is freezing! anyone know where i can pick up some oil to get me through today?

Some of the filling station around the city sell approx 25 liter drums of oil. I think I recall seeing them at the filling station by the Pillo hotel but can't be 100% sure, maybe call them and check before you go in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I'm pretty sure the Texaco station at the Docks does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

jkforde wrote: »
    Sweeney Oil quoting me 310 from 500l of kerosene... anything better out there?

got them down to €300 for 500ltrs

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

brembo26 wrote: »
    Aldi (Westside) have bales of briquettes for €3.99 and also have 10kg bags of smokeless coal @ €5.99 each.
    €5.99 for 10 kg of coal is a crazy price I bought 40kg bags for €15.99 last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

we get our turf from one of my hubbie workmates for 2e a bag,great stuff it is.

€5.99 for 10 kg of coal is a crazy price I bought 40kg bags for €15.99 last November.

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Where?

You might be better off buying the 40kg bag, it could work out a bit cheaper in the long run.

I hardly ever light a fire. Was more just mentioning what I seen.

Im still interested as to where I would get a 40kg bag for €15.99 in the city though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There's a very interesting thread running in the Bargain Alerts Forum about coal which comes from Northern Ireland. I haven't ordered it but the reports back are very good - huge savings in price and the quality seems good too.

Thread is here...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I hardly ever light a fire. Was more just mentioning what I seen.

Im still interested as to where I would get a 40kg bag for €15.99 in the city though!

You might but it might not be great quality.

Cheapest I've seen it was €15 a bag in Craughwell and it was ordinary coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

You might but it might not be great quality.

Cheapest I've seen it was €15 a bag in Craughwell and it was ordinary coal.

Can get 2 * 40kg bags of Ecoal for €37 in the corrib oil place on the tuam road. I find it very good for the open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nadiajk

Where do you get yours?

Any good deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I usually get it from the Corrib Oil place on the Tuam Road.
    I haven't bought any since April and I think it was about €19 for a 40kg bag. Not too sure of the prices now.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

I was quoted €580 for 1000L with corrib oil. Are they all pretty much charging the same? It would save on the hassle of calling each one if I knew the price doesn't vary much from that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I rang around yesterday was only getting 500L everyone quoted me €310. Rang Corrib and told them that I got quoted €300 elsewhere asked would they match it and they did.

So yes they all seem to be charging the same price, which means ring them and tell them that you were quoted something cheaper safe in the knowledge that you won't have to pay more if you go elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

1000 L of kerosene is 580 in Sligo town, for comparison.

http://www.sligofuels.ie/order-online/

500 L is 298.

Advertisement