Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa rankings...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Would we have been second seeds if the 2014WC draw had taken place after this draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wales would have been 3rd seeds instead of 6th seeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Goal now should be to ensure we stay within the top 25 and try and push on into the top 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

joshrogan wrote: »
    Would we have been second seeds if the 2014WC draw had taken place after this draw?

We sure would, disgrace imo that the draw was made before the conclusion of at least the group stages of Euro's (possibly should be after play-offs)

Someone said it was brought forward to accommodate other regions starting qualifying campaigns earlier this time around.
    However, I can't see why they couldn't have done separate draws for each region. Do Australia need to know what group we're in etc?
    Maybe there is some correlation out there, but I'm not aware of any.

Someone mentionned Wales' jump from 6-3...I'd be fuming if welsh.

Another significant jump was made by Armenia from 5th to 3rd.

It's a massive set back for countries like these that are on the up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

How high have we been ranked in the rankings before??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lemlin wrote: »
    Goal now should be to ensure we stay within the top 25 and try and push on into the top 20.

How on earth is an international team supposed to achieve that goal particulalry???? ffs, the goal should be to qualfiy for Euro2012 and do our best there. We do well, our ranking improves, if not we go down. It's not exactly rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

jonny24ie wrote: »
    How high have we been ranked in the rankings before??

Seems 9 was the highest.

link

edit. ''Highest FIFA ranking
    6 - December 1992. August 1993.
    Lowest FIFA Ranking
    57 - November 1998.
    Best Mover
    20 - April 2007
    Worst mover
    -13 - July 1997''

Average of 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The whole rankings system is a joke and needs to be revised, I never pay much attention to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Seems 9 was the highest.

link

It shows that we were 6th in Dec. 92 & Aug 93
    and 57th in Nov 98 was our lowest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

How on earth is an international team supposed to achieve that goal particulalry???? ffs, the goal should be to qualfiy for Euro2012 and do our best there. We do well, our ranking improves, if not we go down. It's not exactly rocket science.

I meant in terms of the rankings. If the rankings decide what pot teams are going to be in for World Cup and future qualifying, Ireland need to be trying to get as high as possible to be in a higher pot.

Also, I'd expect the way for us to break into the top 20 would be to qualify for Euro 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Lemlin wrote: »
    Also, I'd expect the way for us to break into the top 20 would be to qualify for Euro 2012.

If we win both legs over Estonia, we will be ahead of Ivory Coast on ranking points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

always good to see us higher and while the standings have massive flaws, they are important in some cases for rankings and seedings.

would it make a difference to us for th draw for euros if we get there or has that been decided by the places already?

would be nice to be in the top 20, that has to be the aim now and would be a good achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Being Welsh I am not best pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The whole rankings system is a joke and needs to be revised, I never pay much attention to it.

While it is very obviously flawed, saying you dont pay much attention to them is missing the whole point they are quite frankly huge, and will in future effectively alter a teams chances of qualifying by anything up to +/- 33%

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭barry194

Anyone seen today's? Colombia are 3rd and Brazil 9th :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Ireland's slip continues. Down to 44.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Didn't realise this was an old thread and thought it a bit odd we were up to 25th

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

barry194 wrote: »
    Anyone seen today's? Colombia are 3rd and Brazil 9th :eek:

Which is it you have a problem with?
    Columbia have been winning a load of competitive games in World Cup qualifying against other top 30 teams (Uruguay, Ecuador, Chile, Argentina) hence have shot up the rankings.

Brazil dropped outside the top 20 (which tends to happen to world cup and euro hosts due to not playing competitive games) but their recent winning of 5 competitive games sees them move back into the Top 10. They still however get dragged back by their abjecte performances in the most recent Copa and ropey friendly results.

Obviously not perfect but doesn't seem that outrageous?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭barry194

Which is it you have a problem with?
    Columbia have been winning a load of competitive games in World Cup qualifying against other top 30 teams (Uruguay, Ecuador, Chile, Argentina) hence have shot up the rankings.

Brazil dropped outside the top 20 (which tends to happen to world cup and euro hosts due to not playing competitive games) but their recent winning of 5 competitive games sees them move back into the Top 10. They still however get dragged back by their abjecte performances in the most recent Copa and ropey friendly results.

Obviously not perfect but doesn't seem that outrageous?

I don't have a problem with it I just think it's surprising. They may have won a lot of games again teams in South America but surely they wouldn't beat Brazil at the minute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Burkina Faso a few places ahead of us.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I had no idea that Colombia were doing so well. Does anyone know much about their squad? Can't think of many big players outside of Falcao.

Potential dark horses for the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Morzadec wrote: »
    I had no idea that Colombia were doing so well. Does anyone know much about their squad? Can't think of many big players outside of Falcao.

Potential dark horses for the World Cup?

You'd be surprised at how many of the players you would recognise.

They have a fairly decent team IMO. Excellent in midfield and going forward, but their defence isn't the strongest.

I wouldn't see them winning the World Cup, but I would not be surprised to see them make the Quarter Finals and perhaps the Semis. Then again, I have only seen them play twice in recent times so I wouldn't be the best judge.

Have a look at the link below and you can see the players for yourself.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/colombia/startseite/nationalmannschaft_3816.html

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

barry194 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with it I just think it's surprising. They may have won a lot of games again teams in South America but surely they wouldn't beat Brazil at the minute?

But whether they would or wouldn't beat Brazil is irrelevant. It's purely about who they have or haven't beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

England are down to 15th in the rankings but I bet you this isn't reflected in the qualifying draws.

They have been rubbish for ages and always been among the 1st seeds in every draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

NIMAN wrote: »
    England are down to 15th in the rankings but I bet you this isn't reflected in the qualifying draws.

They have been rubbish for ages and always been among the 1st seeds in every draw.

How many competitive matches have England lost in the last 5 years?

Englands record in the WCQ's so far is poor enough.

Theyve only won 3 games, H/A to San Marino and Moldova.

Drew at home to Ukraine and away to Poland & Montengro.

Arguably, if you believe the hype England should steam roll these teams.

Other then the WC loss to Germany and Euro loss to Italy I'm struggling to think of a competitive game theyve lost, I think they lost to an Eastern European team on the way to WC 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Didint England lose in Montenegro, the time Rooney got sent off?

They could have, I'm not sure, I only remember that game for the kick out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

England's qualification record has been pretty good since the failure to qualify for 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GavRedKing wrote: »

Other then the WC loss to Germany and Euro loss to Italy I'm struggling to think of a competitive game theyve lost, I think they lost to an Eastern European team on the way to WC 2010.

Just got it there, they lost 1-0 away to Ukraine in WC 2010 qualifying on the 10th of October 2009 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Knex. wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how many of the players you would recognise.

They have a fairly decent team IMO. Excellent in midfield and going forward, but their defence isn't the strongest.

I wouldn't see them winning the World Cup, but I would not be surprised to see them make the Quarter Finals and perhaps the Semis. Then again, I have only seen them play twice in recent times so I wouldn't be the best judge.

Have a look at the link below and you can see the players for yourself.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/colombia/startseite/nationalmannschaft_3816.html

My God. Mondragon is STILL playing? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

GavRedKing wrote: »

Matches that go to penalties count as draws.

Advertisement