Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugarcraft-related Gifts

Options
  • 19-10-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I don't know the first thing about sugarcraft except for the fact that my mum loves it! She has been decorating cakes for quite some time now, is a member of the guild, and has loads of accessories and books. My sister and I wanted to get her something special this Christmas, and I wonder if all you sugarcrafters out there might give us a few ideas? Is there a "must-have" piece of kit that is too expensive for most amateurs? Or maybe a sugar crafting guru who runs courses? Mum would be pretty good but is always keen to improve. Any ideas would be most gratefully received!icon7.gif
    Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Martha Stewart (and prob some other baking sites etc.) have non stick reusable sheets for rolling out icing n stuff.

But if she has all the basics maybe a course would be a good idea what county are you in someone might be able to recommend a class near you.
    The cake box in Dun laoire run classes but there are tons more.

Things like a really reliable weighing scales, stand mixers are always handy if you wanted to go more pricey. Cute packaging can be expensive, if she makes stuff herself for presents packaging like boxes and bags come in very handy.

A more sugary person on here might be able to make other suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

www.acakeforyou.ie run great classes and workshops, and have just launched a gift voucher facility, was just reading about it this morning! There's no real set must have that you could get her, everyone likes different aspects of sugarcraft, so maybe a gift voucher for Decobake or stuff4cakes.ie or something if they do them? So she could just go get whatever she wants herself? I don't know where you're based in the country but Decobake have just opened a new shop in Athlone and it's gorgeous, a few hours spent in there with a gift voucher to spend would be lovely for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

*Notes Decobake for next trip to athlone...*:D

IMO, It kind of depends on what kit she has already too. Does she have a non-slip turntable? That's be a must for me, (Though an ikea lazy susan does me :)). Does she have all necessary paste colours and lustre dusts, you can get lovely kits from squires kitchen, or at least browse here and then...Buy Irish!:p

But Acoshla's probably on to it with a gift voucher...it's the gift of shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

Thanks all, for your replies. Mum has loads of stuff including the turntable. She is in Dublin but I'd say she would be quite happy to travel to Athlone! Keep the ideas coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Decobake have a branch in Clane but Athlone one is much prettier :) If she's in Dublin I'd definitely recommend giving acakeforyou a call anyway, most of the classes are held there and are really amazing, every one comes away with great looking cakes and lots of knowledge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement