Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia and waking up constantly at night?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

I only recently noticed that it takes me at least an hour(sometimes 2) to fall asleep, and it's driving me nuts! I simply can't do anything but think about everything in my head and this just keeps me up. And yes, I have a regular bedtime, dark room, comfortable bed, etc.. But I just can't get to sleep quicker! I've tried white noise but that's sort of irritating, and smelling lavender, which usually does work but sometimes I don't want to smell it as it kind of irritates my noise. What else can I do? :S No drugs, or counting sheep.. or really anything that involves you thinking, counting whatever in your head. Also, Monday night and last night I've been waking up constantly during the night. It usually starts at around 1 or 2am and goes on(not right on the hour every hour) until about 6am when I just cannot get back to sleep so i stay awake until 7 and get up. Please someone suggest some good methods, I'm going insane with this :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Are you feeling anxious or down recently ?

Insomnia has many causes but two of the biggest is anexity or depression

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

This sleeping buisness is a joke i honestly cannot recall the last time i haven,t seen the wrong side of 6.00am..stayed awake all sunday to try and get into a routine fell asleep at 3.00pm monday till 6.00pm still couldn,t sllep that night than last night well tuesday in bed before 12 and still awake at 7:30am really starting to do my head in..i simply cannot seem to get a routine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

No, I feel fine! Although not being able to sleep is mildly depressing me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

SeanMadd wrote: »
    No, I feel fine! Although not being able to sleep is mildly depressing me :(

Maybe you are not working off the calories you are consuming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GregoryD

hi SeanMadd,

to understand better and to try to help you please:

• Are you eating within 2 hours of going to bed?
    • Are you eating a lot of junk food / do you feel heavy (i don't mean your weight i mean from what you eat do you feel heavy)
    • Do you have problems in your life which you can not stop thinking about. So when you lie down to sleep you keep stressing about it - do you have such things?
    • Did any family member or partner tell you that you stop breathing when you sleep for some moments?
    • Do you snore?
    • Are you overweight?
    • Do you have any illness which causes regular itching or regular pain which may prevent you from sleeping?
    I will put a notification so when you reply I will come see what you wrote. I run a Sleep Disorders website so although I am not a doctor, I have done TONS of research so it is very likely I will be able to point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

GregoryD wrote: »
    hi SeanMadd,

to understand better and to try to help you please:

• Are you eating within 2 hours of going to bed?
    • Are you eating a lot of junk food / do you feel heavy (i don't mean your weight i mean from what you eat do you feel heavy)
    • Do you have problems in your life which you can not stop thinking about. So when you lie down to sleep you keep stressing about it - do you have such things?
    • Did any family member or partner tell you that you stop breathing when you sleep for some moments?
    • Do you snore?
    • Are you overweight?
    • Do you have any illness which causes regular itching or regular pain which may prevent you from sleeping?
    I will put a notification so when you reply I will come see what you wrote. I run a Sleep Disorders website so although I am not a doctor, I have done TONS of research so it is very likely I will be able to point you in the right direction.

1.No.(Very rarely though and it would something very small)
    2.No.
    3.No, because they don't see me sleeping :/
    4.I don't think so. I was told I sometimes talk in my sleep though.
    5.No.
    6.No

Sorry if these answers don't help you, I just don't know what could be wrong :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GregoryD

SeanMadd wrote: »
    1.No.(Very rarely though and it would something very small)
    2.No.
    3.No, because they don't see me sleeping :/
    4.I don't think so. I was told I sometimes talk in my sleep though.
    5.No.
    6.No

Sorry if these answers don't help you, I just don't know what could be wrong :|

Hi again SeanMadd, if you do not have any of those causes which constitute the major reasons behind it then there must be something wrong going on inside of your body, some internal processes or whatever. So you should go to a doctor and explain this situation and try to discover what the underlying issue is. Best of luck.

Advertisement