Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northside Mountain Biking - Where

• 19-10-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

With the exception of Howth are there any trails/off-road around the Northside

Is St Annes any good for a hour or so of biking.

Any other idea's for non-wicklow days ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

St Annes is OK for a run around. It get's a bit repetitive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

I think there are some around Howth, never been, but I've often seen people biking around the area, both road and mountain bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Down by the seafront carpark of St Annes there are some BMX type in forest trails. Dunno would they suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

St Annes is OK for a run around. It gets a bit repetitive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Carlingford? The Cooleys?

Sometimes it's faster to get there than to Wicklow, with traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Morgan wrote: »
    Carlingford? The Cooleys?

Sometimes it's faster to get there than to Wicklow, with traffic.

Where's the cooleys , its about 50 mins to Wickla from my house think carlingford is similar so deffo worth a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Cooleys are in Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ask "Laudie" on here, he does a bit of biking in North County Dublin...all fairly flattish parkland I think..

Other than that Howth is your only real option, start at Bull Island, along the fence at the side of the Golf course, into St. Anne's at the BMX track area, back up the cycle track to Howth/Deer park/cliff trails...

Though 50mins is what it takes me to get to Ballinastoe..And takes 25mins to Ticknock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    A...he does a bit of biking in North County Dublin...all fairly flattish parkland I think..

North County Dublin is not the home of MTB. I beleive Howth is good for a quick spin, but I've yet to try it out. St Annes is more cyclecross, again never tried the area.
    We had a blast in the snow last year around Ardgillian Park however its not MTB stuff in any way.
    I will stand corrected. But its off to Ticknock direction or head to the Cooleys for full on stuff. There are some runs in Drogheda but there more pure DH.

Where are you based?

Lawdie wrote: »
    North County Dublin is not the home of MTB. I beleive Howth is good for a quick spin, but I've yet to try it out. St Annes is more cyclecross, again never tried the area.
    We had a blast in the snow last year around Ardgillian Park however its not MTB stuff in any way.
    I will stand corrected. But its off to Ticknock direction or head to the Cooleys for full on stuff. There are some runs in Drogheda but there more pure DH.

Where are you based?

Live in portmarnock but am from howth so just looking for something different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Conneff

There are a few trails around Howth head, plus the cliff path if you're keen. I'd strongly advise not going near the bmx jumps (Chuckies) in St Annes with a mountainbike. Knobblie tyres will destroy the dirt jumps and you wont be popular!

What everyone said before me is right though, Ticknock would be the closest "mountainbiking" to you.

dario28 wrote: »
    Live in portmarnock but am from howth so just looking for something different

Have you tried Djouce? Group out this Saturday morning 8:30am start.

http://www.thinkbike.ie/news/11-09-29/ThinkBike_ie_CC_road_mtb_winter_program.aspx

Lawdie wrote: »
    Have you tried Djouce? Group out this Saturday morning 8:30am start.

http://www.thinkbike.ie/news/11-09-29/ThinkBike_ie_CC_road_mtb_winter_program.aspx

Sounds good where do they meet ? Is it similar to balinastoe ?

Cant do this Saturday, is there any groups that do it on Sunday or is it easy enough to figure out on ur own ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

dario28 wrote: »
    Sounds good where do they meet ? Is it similar to balinastoe ?

I would guess in the 1st Djouce car park coming from the Enniskerry direction. Natural trails - far better than Ballinastoe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Phoenix park has a 16km offroad loop. Just follow the joggers trail along the wall after the garda Hq the whole way around up to the old fort. If u spend an hour in the park you will see more trails. Its not technical but its fast n flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just happened across this thread when looking for something else, Bull Island has the mudflats and the dune system... The middle of the island has tracks that look like good fun, I walk my dogs there, watch out for rabbit holes though. Not sure if you are allowed mtb though, it being a nature reserve. You might want to check that out. Don't know if the sand would be good for your bikes though, good luck.

(some golf courses look like they are asking for MTB's!!!, those little hills, the sandy parts, the drops, the downhill fairways...)

John_Rambo wrote: »
    (some golf courses look like they are asking for MTB's!!!, those little hills, the sandy parts, the drops, the downhill fairways...)

Cracking fun golf courses in the snow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Ardgillan Park allows cycling on specific tracks that arel
    • signposted
    • shared with walkers
    • limited to 10km/hr
    • one way
    Rules out fast decending, but the ascending is tough.

If you come out to Swords tomorrow between 10:30am and 11:30am you can get some practice on a marked out course.

Ballast Pit in Skerries is another location, albeit small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

If you come out to Swords tomorrow between 10:30am and 11:30am you can get some practice on a marked out course.

Just hang a left at the end of the club spin and the job's a good 'un. Don't worry about your Cosmics - they'll be fine.

Advertisement