Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin forerunner for Christmas. Which one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

the 305

(yes, yes, it looks like you're wearing a computer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I went with a 305 too on advice from people here and i am delighted i did as it does everything and is only £93 at the moment on amazon which is a bargin.

Yeah its ugly but it is comfortable and light and halfway through my first run i had become used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist-Worn GPS Personal Training Device with Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
    OK, first looks - you are thinking to yourself "But what if someone tries to land a helicopter on it's enormous surface while I am out running?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Forerunner 110 is really an entry-level watch, for those who want a 'click and go' type experience. The Forerunner 305 does this, and so much more. It grows with you, as you develop as a runner.

If your other half is feeling particularly generous, there are other watches further up the food chain that provided a little bit more, but they cost a lot more money. Certainly the 305 represents the best value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

easy-get the 210 and forget the others.
    has everything you will need, big step up from the 110 and you wont look like an extra from star trek

• Advertisement

I was reading very negitive reports on the 210 for value for money

the 3o5 has great fetures but looks like ass and cant really be used as a watch

the 405 seems to do most of what the 310 does , but looks good. good price.

the 110 looks the best but only has the bear bones . hrm time and lap time.

imm

I JUST NOTICED THE STICKY..

The 210 costs 42% more than the Forerunner 305. The 210 does simple intervals. The 305 does advanced workouts (as does the 405, 410, 310, 610, and 910). If you care more about how it looks than what it does, then perhaps the 205 is for you.

I have a 405 (two of 'em actually). If I had €130 to spend, I'd buy a 305. If I had €250 to spend, I'd get a friend to pick up a 610 from the US, or hold out for the 910 in a couple of months time (also from the US).

Thanks. I seem drawn to the 405.

The 305 does it all but if I hate the way it looks I dont think I will use it. I dont know. more thought needed

Comparing the 305 and 405:

305:
    Battery lasts 16-20 hours between charges
    Supports breadcrumb trails (a dotted line to follow like a map).
    It's big.

405:
    Battery lasts 6-8 hours between charges
    Has very annoying bezel functionality that doesn't work very well in wet conditions.
    Has wireless data transfer (not really a big plus point, as you still need to plug it in to charge it).
    It's smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I was reading very negitive reports on the 210 for value for money

the 3o5 has great fetures but looks like ass and cant really be used as a watch

the 405 seems to do most of what the 310 does , but looks good. good price.

the 110 looks the best but only has the bear bones . hrm time and lap time.

imm

I JUST NOTICED THE STICKY..

Ive had the 205 305 405 310xt and 210
    the bezel thing is rubbish. Dont go near it. 310xt is great for cross training but expensive.
    210 does everything I need but as for price well I get them trade price so never an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

the bezel thing is rubbish. Dont go near it.

Bezel works very well unless it is wet as pointed out by Krusty. Not really an issue as it is best to "lock" it while running.
    I have had a 405 for at least 3 years and still amazed by fhe functionnality packed in a small case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Got the 305 as a prezzie a few days ago and am loving it.Yes,as has been said,its a little big,but half way through my 4 miler to test it out,didnt even notice i was wearing it.I have one of the data fields customised to show time,date,sunrise time and sunset time,but i wont be using it as a watch(have plenty of those:D)
    One advantage of it being big is that for those of us pushing on a bit,can be easier read:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

This is the one that's going to knock the 305 off the spot as the most sensible buy:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

Finally a GPS that looks like it will offer decent functionality for swimming.

If you don't want to wait or don't care for swimming then the 305 has the exact amount of functionality you will ever want or need, including possibility to link it to a cadence sensor for cycling. You won't care how it looks five minutes into a run and you are unlikely to want to wear any GPS watch as a fashion accessory

305 it is. She will have to get me something else as well, as its under budget.

one of them yokes to fit it to my bicycle . They look expensive:D

I wont get the thing till christmas. :(

gsxr1 wrote: »
    305 it is. She will have to get me something else as well, as its under budget.

one of them yokes to fit it to my bicycle . They look expensive:D

I wont get the thing till christmas. :(

good choice. it's not pretty but you're only wearing it when running, biking etc. not on a night out. it's not actually much bigger than the 405 and has plenty of other advantages over the 405 anyway.

eoglyn wrote: »
    This is the one that's going to knock the 305 off the spot as the most sensible buy:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

pity it costs 3 TIMES the price of the 305 - not that sensible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭huber

Hi, Does the 305 measure distance in the pool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

huber wrote: »

Indoors? You might have trouble getting satellite reception. It's a bit pointless anyway, like using GPS while running around a track :D
    Have a look at the DC Rainmaker reviews

huber wrote: »
    It won't work indoors, it won't work underwater, and it's not very waterproof. The new model (910xt) does some swim-stroke stuff, but you can expect to pay a lot more money for it, when it does become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 locaoimh

Can you import from the 305 to www.mapmyrun.com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

is there an anticipated cost for the 910?

$399 according to DCRainmaker review.

uberwolf wrote: »
    is there an anticipated cost for the 910?

$399 according to DCRainmaker review.
    You can pre-order on Amazon.com for $399 without HRM, or $449 with HRM.
    Prices over here are typically a lot higher though (not a direct US$ to Euro conversion).

locaoimh wrote: »
    Can you import from the 305 to www.mapmyrun.com?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

305 is the best. its not too big. I would spend any money if there was a watch better than it but there ain't. pace and gps lock ain't great on it but other than that its great.

rom wrote: »
    305 is the best. its not too big. I would spend any money if there was a watch better than it but there ain't. pace and gps lock ain't great on it but other than that its great.
    Have you tried 'em all then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

You can pre-order on Amazon.com for $399 without HRM, or $449 with HRM.
    Prices over here are typically a lot higher though (not a direct US$ to Euro conversion).

I'm going to be over there in April. I won't need it before then (if I need it at all)

Advertisement