Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joesph Driessen talk parenting children for sucess at school.

Options
  • 19-10-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭

Hope the mods don't mind, I was asked to let people know about this event as it's not just for parents/guardians of children in the school but any in the area who wish to attend.

http://www.scoilmhuiresenior.ie/pages/latest-news.php
    Parenting Children for Success At School

Venue: Scoil Mhuire Senior, Blakestown, Dublin 15

Date: 25th October

Time: 7pm

PLEASE COME AND HEAR JOSEPH DRIESSEN!

HE IS A WELL KNOWN AND RESPECTED EDUCATIONALIST FROM NEW ZEALAND...

TOPICS INCLUDE

HOW TO MOTIVATE YOUR CHILD
    CHALLENGES AND GOALS FOR GOYS AND GIRLS
    BOYS AND GIRLS' LEARNING STYLES
    MAKING HOMEWORK PART OF YOUR CHILD'S LIFE
    GUIDANCE AND DISCIPLINE FOR CHILDREN
    RELATIONSHIP BUILDING WITH SONS AND DAUGHTERS
    WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CHILD IS NOT DOING WELL AT SCHOOL

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

He runs a lot of seminars about parenting boys.
    http://www.educationanswers.com/html/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I don't live in the area but I do work nearby so might try pop down after work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Too far for me - I'd love to hear what he says tho - particularly ways to motivate my boy. I'll check out the website and see if he's doing any other talks around Dublin - I assume the school would have to pay him to speak etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The talk was organised by the Parents' Association and the school are kindly letting them use the premises to host it.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Just wondering if this is free?

• Advertisement

Yes it's free.

Just to let people know this is still on this evening.

I'm very interested to hear the feedback from this - I emailed them (via their website) about the possibility of getting him to talk at my boys school, but haven't had a reply.

Just wondering if anyone went along to this and what it was like?

Over 50 parents attended, it was a two hour long session and it was based on the best practice of other parents rather then kiddie shrinks findings.

It was about finding balance as a parent not being too nurturing and not being too authoritarian, that the best parents let their kids know they love them but have expectations and standards and boundaries.

And failing to adhere to those standards should have immediate consequences and that they should be automatic, that there is no point shouting and roaring at our kids, ideally 90% of our interactions with out children should be positive, supportive, encouraging our kids and 10% to be correctional.

It was also about routines, and setting our kids up to succeed. We shouldn't do everything for them, chores are important, being a team player as part of the family team were the parents are the coaches. Children have to be taught to be organised
    that parents have to set the system up with input from the child and support them doing it, check in with how it's going and praise them when it's working.

There was a segment on home work routine, that the parents who have the least amount of hassle have a good homework routine. There is a set time and set place for home work to be done with in some cases a set piece of music and parents to be supervising, being present but not doing it for their kids or putting pressure in the kid.
    So to find something to do in the same room, like folding washing or reading and to break it up into half hour sessions. Even with teens who do their homework in their own room pop on and show an interest in what they are doing, supervise.

Getting kids to read and going to the library and reading as a family even once a week was mentioned, as was having family meetings once a month so that there is feedback and progress reports and new suggestions from family members.

• Advertisement
Advertisement