Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most potent chillie I can get my hands on?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

At the minute, the hottest I can get my hands on in tesco is the bird eye chillie, its good but its come to the point that even if i put 20+ of them in my curry its a bit meh..

looking for something like the infinity chillie but can't locate them..I've seen sauces etc that use the infinity, but anyone know where I can get them fresh?

Or if not, anything that's a lot hotter than the bird eye ones I currently use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

If your looking for a hot curry, google "Bhut Jolokia Chilli ". Used in Satans Ashes, a hot enough curry mix !!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 james405

Whats the one homer had in the simpsons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

You can get a variety multipack of chillies in aldi, they contain scotch bonners which are HOT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

check out this thread - might give you some ideas!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055012529

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

You can get a variety multipack of chillies in aldi, they contain scotch bonners which are HOT!!

Yeah I heard that, cheers..the scotch bonnet has a scoville rating (a scale used to measure the heat of a chillie) of 100,000-350,000 units, compared to 50,000-100,000 units with the bird eye chillie. Only prob is I hear the variety pack aldi sell only has 1-2 scotch bonnets:mad:

Any other tips welcome, or if anyone know where I can get the infinity chillie :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It looks like these are the guys who grew the Infinity Chili so they might be able to tell you where to get it?

Whereabouts are you based? If you have access to Middle Eastern/African supermarket you can buy scotch bonnets by the shovel load. Many of the grocers on Moore Street in Dublin have actual crates of them

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

A quick Google search brought up this.

Good luck brave Sir/Madam. I commend you.

It looks like these are the guys who grew the Infinity Chili so they might be able to tell you where to get it?

Whereabouts are you based? If you have access to Middle Eastern/African supermarket you can buy scotch bonnets by the shovel load. Many of the grocers on Moore Street in Dublin have actual crates of them

yep know the site...they only sell sauces/pastes etc, no fresh ones, but sure like you suggest I mite drop them a quick email to see if they have any, thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - You don't say what general area that you live in, so I'll just assume Dublin. If you want a 'real' chilli you should get into any one of the numerous asian stores around town. They usually have a good selection - well, better than Aldi anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Scotch Bonnets are quite the devil - I once had a curry made from them in an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam. I'm pretty heat resistant, but this was not a pleasant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a pack of Naga Jolokia from a market stall guy in Bantry. They were the hottest chillis I have ever eaten and I have made plenty of Hot sauce with scotch bonnets.
    1/4 in a curry was nearly too much for me.
    BTW Tesco is unlikely to carry what you seek. I would look at market stalls or perhaps ethnic food markets/shops

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Hang on, have to go to the kitchen to check...

Ok, back - last time I was in the UK I bought a pack of TRS Extra Hot Red Chillies - they look like dried birds-eye chillies. I used ONE - just ONE of these tiny things in a curry a few weeks back, and it blew me head off (and that head was a chilli-head!).

I have just under 50g of these deadly things, if anyone wants a few? Let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

i use these guys alot...10 min burn sauce is not for the faint of heart http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

They should have left things as they were. "Ghost" was a great name for the worlds hottest chilli!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Naga is about as hot as they come but for flavour and heat the Yellow habanero is the one for me. Birds eye aren't really that hot at all.

i use these guys alot...10 min burn sauce is not for the faint of heart http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/

thanks for that link. Have you tried the 15 minute burn? How long does delivery usually take?

With the 10 minute burn, how do you use it, what effect would a tea spoon in a pot of curry have?

Cheers

to be honest I wouldn't use it in food, its just too strong, the heat is totally unbearable in even the smallest amounts...its purely a party piece...I use them for chipoltte powder which is impossible to get in ireland

to be honest I wouldn't use it in food, its just too strong, the heat is totally unbearable in even the smallest amounts...its purely a party piece...I use them for chipoltte powder which is impossible to get in ireland

ah sure I'll give it a try..how long did delivery take?

I made a mince chilli dish last night..before hand I popped into the 2 asian shops on georges street in dublin..the strongest they had were bird eyes..they looked confused when I asked for scotch bonnet chillies..

Anyway so I lashed in a pack of bird eye chillies and the result was disappointing..bird eyes just don't do it for me anymore:(

Naga is about as hot as they come but for flavour and heat the Yellow habanero is the one for me. Birds eye aren't really that hot at all.

where do you get yours?
    thanks

Delivery was 3 days...but honestly this stuff is made from Naga extract..its 9 times stronger than scotch bonnets, the burn is just too severe to enjoy...check this lad out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrDGl0zvze4 from about 5 min on he gets around to trying it...i've tried it twice since I had it and that was once too much...it wasn't banned from the chilli competitions for nothing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

cojomo2 wrote: »
    where do you get yours?
    thanks

I grew them in the greenhouse. I grew about twenty different varieties of chillies, had success with most of them. Some plants produced loads of fruit and others hardly any.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

cojomo2 wrote: »
    where do you get yours?
    thanks

You can find fresh habaneros in Asian shops and Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Was going to mention Fallon & Byrne's habaneros and bonnets, anyone know how hot they are?

Picked up some red scotch bonnets on Moore street. Threw a few into a chilli mince mix and was pleasantly surprised- nice bit of heat off them..still on the lookout for something stronger though..

My buddy ate one of these whole..handled it surprisingly well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

have you tried ebay - I think there are suppliers on ebay who have both fresh and dried jokolia chillies and will ship to Ireland.

Yep had a quick look on ebay but decided to take the plunge and order myself some 10 minute burn. Will have it in 3-4 days so I'll get back after I try it and let people know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

james405 wrote: »
    Whats the one homer had in the simpsons?

Guatemalan Insanity Peppers.

you got fair warning!!

you got fair warning!!

I know:D

I'm expecting it to bring severe pain when taken straight (which ofcourse I'll have to do so I can report back!)

But sure if I throw a bit(table spoon or 2) into the likes of a thai green curry surely it won't render it uneatable !? Either way, I'm looking forward to it..still waiting on delivery despite ordering last Sunday though:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The scotch bonnets here are just barely adequate. They are grown hydroponically in Amsterdam and don't have the same intense flavour that you find in chillies in the Caribbean where the right climate and soil make all the difference.

The best chilli that I've tasted is the wiri-wiri, used in lots of the foods in Guyana and Suriname. Tiny little pepper but ferociously hot. The world's hottest chillies are from Trinidad & Tobago, though wisely, the tend to use them more for flavour than for heat. Matouk's is the leading brand and is available from Caribbean shops in the UK. The hottest ones are the homemade ones - just opening the bottle makes your eyes water!

Advertisement