Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most potent chillie I can get my hands on?

Options
2»

Comments

If I recall, the habeneros chilli was the hottest I've ever cooked with but I might have that wrong!

Edit; I obviously missed a few posts before I posted so yeh I think it was the habenero, it looks like a small bell pepper. You can get them in Tesco :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

I think you'll find the naga family chillies from india the hottest..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper..the hottest at the moment is the dorset naga which is grown in gratham england

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I think you'll find the naga family chillies from india the hottest..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper..the hottest at the moment is the dorset naga which is grown in gratham england

From the third paragraph of the link you posted:
    The current "world's hottest" is the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, officially tested at 1,463,700 SHU.
    The clue is in the first word of the name.

In the Caribbean and Trinidad & Tobago in particular, growing peppers and making peppersauce is serious business. What is pissing off the Trinidadians is an Australian company passing off their original produce as theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't get too hung up on the heat level. If you add some of the really hot chillies the heat will take over the entire dish.

Not matter what your heat tolerance is, everyone has a limit. I absolutely love chillies and I even snack on chilli seeds during the summer but this year I met my match. I grew Dorset Nagas and I made a curry and put a whole one in. I never felt heat like it.

What I have learned over the last few years since growing my own is that chillies differ in taste quite a bit. I personally love Habeneros but others aren't as tasty. I have a big bag in the freezer to do me over the winter. If it's only heat you're after then, why don't you get 100% pure capsicum?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

I stand corrected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Got my 10 minute burn!

Taste wise, I am disappointed..when added to a dish, aswell as adding the heat, it add a strong overpowering tobasco sauce taste.

Heat wise, it's insane when taken straight....after the burn had calmed I got some intense stomach cramps..not pleasant.

Then I added 1 tablespoon to a pot (serving 3 people) of chilli con carne..good result..buckets of heat and not too much of the overpowering taste I mentioned earlier ..so best keep it to a max of 1 tablespoon for a happy medium.

However, stomach cramps were still not far behind:( I could handle the heat in my mouth/throat/lips which was actually pleasant in a way, but about 10 mins later when that calms down, I get burning cramps in my stomach.

Just had another helping of lastnights chilli there again..lovely..doesn't feel as hot today but the cramps have started again...is this stuff gonna give me a stomach ulcer or something!? Can't help going back for more tho...

Advertisement