Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking velux - who donnit?

• 19-10-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Noticed a wet patch on the ceiling under a corner of a velux window last weekend. First time ever this has happened since living here (~5 years). Seems strange that it would just happen out of the blue, given that there was not particularly heavy rain or strong winds that day. But... it is coincidental that

1) I had been in the attic that morning during some plumbing work at the water tank (located roughly above that window but I've checked and there's no leak or water on the main (level) ceiling plasterboards anywhere between the tank and the velux window)
    2) There's been crows hanging around that particular velux window in recent weeks (they keep tapping the roof and crapping on the window!)
    3) I 'might' have thumped the felt/slates from the attic way up the roof above the level of the velux when I was up there to get the birds to fcek off! But I've examined the roof from outside and all looks well, no missing or broken slates etc.). There was though a tiny piece of birdcrap between two slates near the corner of the window which I removed...

So, am I the cause of the leak, might the birds be the cause somehow, or is it possible a leak just happened to coincidentally spring up around the flashing?!

My problem now is that the wet patch isn't getting any bigger so I'm not sure if or when the leak is happening. Would I be crazy to go drilling a few holes to investigate?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi what is the pitch of the roof like (pic would be good:D) and was it very windy out that day reason I ask is that I have seen leaks in velux windows when the pitch was shallow and the wind was blowing in a certain direction

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi what is the pitch of the roof like (pic would be good:D) and was it very windy out that day reason I ask is that I have seen leaks in velux windows when the pitch was shallow and the wind was blowing in a certain direction

Pitch is probably ~45 deg (dormer bungalow)... Funny you should ask about the wind coz on that particular day there seemed to be drops of water accumulating on the same side of the window as where the leak appeared. Although it may have been that the water droplets were sticking to bird crap residue which would have been on the same side too. I'll try to take a photo inside and out tomorrow.

Pics at last:

Inside: 96431301FFEA4845AFC10ED2C59F8B41-0000347471-0002593283-00600L-0FA44384962442A29FD31FC5333447FC.jpg

Outside: 4716DF1C390C429C83D8A1596DC440DD-0000347471-0002593282-00640L-EBB372DAD6594381BB0E889F44BB21B3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

On monday there was heavy showers and very bad wind in parts of the country.

Can you remember if there was any in ur area?

Maybe a bit of rain got in.

Was only very light rain that day and a small amount of it at that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement