Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving licnce.

• 19-10-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭

Just filling out my driving licence renewal form and realised i dont have a licence to drive with a car trailer:eek:. I've been driving with the last 10 years with this licence and never copped a thing. I think my last licence had the car trailer permission but i'm not sure. Does any one know if i will have to do a driving test now or does it come automatically like a tractor licence:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

You have to apply for the test to get a learners permit first when you have that passed you may apply for the driving test, I think thats how it works anyway but I have been wrong before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

5live wrote: »
    Just filling out my driving licence renewal form and realised i dont have a licence to drive with a car trailer:eek:. I've been driving with the last 10 years with this licence and never copped a thing. I think my last licence had the car trailer permission but i'm not sure. Does any one know if i will have to do a driving test now or does it come automatically like a tractor licence:confused:

Once you had a B licence, you were coverer to pull a small trailer with the car. If you're going for bigger vehicle (Jeep) to pull a bigger trailer then its an EB licence you should have. Did you do a test for the EB?

There's a whole thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056115062

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Oh sweet divine:eek::eek::eek:. Thought i was too old to have to do a test again. So if i am reading that thread properly (like i should have done last year:o) i can still carry 10 fat lambs in a car trailer without having an EB or one 700kg cow or am i being hopelessly optimistic:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Your allowed pull a trailer up to 750kg without the need for a trailer license but anything above 750kg and you will need the trailer license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Give your local Motor Tax Office a shout, and ask them to look at the history of your licence.
    If you had the EB category previously and is was omitted on your current licence, I THINK they'll reinstate it.
    No guarantee though, and I'm far from certain on this.

Perhaps ask over in the Motors section, they'd be much better clued in on this stuff than me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Thanks all. I should be ok ,mostly ,with 750kgs but i will check the motor tax office. Thought i was after spending 10 years breaking the law:o(and it felt gooooood)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

If it makes any difference I'd say it would be a right pr1ck of a guard that would do you for that. As if a full licence isn't good enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Got the EB this year after driving around for 20 years without one, nothing to it really found the theory nearly worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The RSA seem to have it in english here covering a B licence:

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Vehicles-and-Legislation/Vehicle-Standards/Trailers/

Trailer categories:

O1 Trailers = DGVW less than 0.75 tonnes. This includes small car trailers.
    O2 Trailers = DGVW between 0.75 and 3.5 tonnes. This includes larger trailers, horseboxes and most caravans.

Driving Licence requirements:

Towing an O1 or an O2 trailer with a car, 4x4 or a small van

With an ordinary category B licence, a person can:

tow a trailer of up to 0.75 tonnes DGVW, with a vehicle with a DGVW of up to 3.5 tonnes and seating for up to eight passengers (apart from the driver). The combination weight cannot exceed 4.25 tonnes.

tow a trailer exceeding 0.75 tonnes DGVW, provided that the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed the un-laden weight of the towing vehicle, and the maximum combination weight does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes.

Brake requirements:

For O1 Trailers (DGVW not exceeding 0.75 tonnes)

O1 trailers with a single axle are not obliged to have brakes provided that their DGVW is less than half the DGVW of the towing vehicle.

O1 trailers that have a DGVW greater than half of the DGVW weight of the towing vehicle or that have two or more axles must have brakes fitted.

For O2 Trailers (DGVW between 0.75 & 3.5 tonnes)

All O2 trailers must also have brakes fitted. The braking system must include a parking brake.

If the O2 trailer does not have an automatic breakaway device that activates its brakes should it become detached from the vehicle, then it must be fitted with a secondary coupling consisting of a chain or wire rope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I posted alot in other threads on this so not goin to go overboard here (after reading back, I just did :o:D).

Anyhooo...Just to say that, in practice it's easy for a farmer to go over the 750kg weight restriction that you are limited to with just the B. Remember that 750kg is the GROSS weight (trailer+load), not just the 'cargo'.

So as in blue 5000's example, one good sized suckler cow in a trailer and you would be 'illegal' without the EB.

As for this typically Irish hatred of being 'pulled by the guards'...... the guards would be the least of your worries if you had an accident. Insurance company doesn't have to pay out. Remember it's not just your 'good jeep and trailer' that you could potentially have to pay for but 'Mary's back injury' that she sustained after you crashed into her :eek: Doesn't bear thinking about folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Or just pull big loads with tractor no need for eb then as w will do
    I have big cow box on tractor going to mart etc and use small trailer for a few calves.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

djmc wrote: »
    Or just pull big loads with tractor no need for eb then as w will do
    I have big cow box on tractor going to mart etc and use small trailer for a few calves.:D

Thats grand if all your land is together. I have land spread over an 11 mile stretch so I have to have a jeep and trailer. I have the provisional EB and will be booking the test next month. I would be insured with the provisional though as the old man has an artic licence and he is almost always with me. Almost being the only problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Thats grand if all your land is together. I have land spread over an 11 mile stretch so I have to have a jeep and trailer. I have the provisional EB and will be booking the test next month. I would be insured with the provisional though as the old man has an artic licence and he is almost always with me. Almost being the only problem.

I'm open to correction, but I understood that even if your old man wasn't with you and you had an accident, once you even have a provisional EB, your insurance will cover you. (However, you may face penalty points or a fine from guards for not having a full licence holder with you). I have been stopped a few times on my own with the jeep and trailer and I ahve only the provisional EB and it has always been fine for the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Just wondering now but if you get the provisional or learners permit EB do you have to do a certain amount of driving lessons before you can do the test for the full EB like has come in for drivers just getting a normal full licence. I know its probably somewhere in the other thread but its very long and there is a lot of reading in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Just wondering now but if you get the provisional or learners permit EB do you have to do a certain amount of driving lessons before you can do the test for the full EB like has come in for drivers just getting a normal full licence. I know its probably somewhere in the other thread but its very long and there is a lot of reading in it.

ya that thread went on forever, i think a good few of us tried to get provisional before last april in order to avoid the rulle about the lessons. I never bothered applying for test so I cant say if its actually worked but i think the regulations about lessons were coming in in april

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

slightly of topic but do people take there licence with them all the time also do the guards always look for it.Its not the best quality would be better if like a credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

raindodger wrote: »
    slightly of topic but do people take there licence with them all the time also do the guards always look for it.Its not the best quality would be better if like a credit card

I do but by law I think you have either 7 or 10 days to produce it in the garda station of your choice if you dont have it with you.

Advertisement