Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal Prices - Limerick City

• 19-10-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

So its that time of year again when we might have to stock up on a few bags of coal.

Anyone any idea on prices etc and do you have to use smokeless?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Yea you have to use smokeless in the city.

I got a 40kg bag in Walters last month 14.50 dirt cheap when you consider most places charge a tenner for 20kg bag

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

Anyone know where l can get a load of ash timber logs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

molard wrote: »

try donedeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

€150 for 10 bags of what seems to be plain coal ( smokeless isn't written anywhere on the bag ), delivered in the city . Galtee Fuels on the Dock Road , you have to haggle with him a bit though he wanted €160

Best coal we got in years , it's just coal , no nuggets . We are almost finished the first bag and myself and herself are still looking at it with a " my god , real coal " look on our faces .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Anyone know a link that states the the distance from the City Center you have to be in order to use real coal (ie not smokeless)

Is it distance measured from the city center or is it if your address is City not County.

What I'm basically asking if your address is classified as County and not City
    are you allowed to use ordinary coal.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

jonski wrote: »
    €150 for 10 bags of what seems to be plain coal ( smokeless isn't written anywhere on the bag ), delivered in the city . Galtee Fuels on the Dock Road , you have to haggle with him a bit though he wanted €160

Best coal we got in years , it's just coal , no nuggets . We are almost finished the first bag and myself and herself are still looking at it with a " my god , real coal " look on our faces .

Thanks for this - Assume 40Kg bags?
    bullets wrote: »
    Anyone know a link that states the the distance from the City Center you have to be in order to use real coal (ie not smokeless)

Is it distance measured from the city center or is it if your address is City not County.

~B

Its actually calculated on the square root of the number of asthmatic Kids in your Estate, look for the subtle signs - wheezy Children and worried Mommies popping inhalers into schoolbags - if still in doubt offer them a smoke.

- Only joking everything I now know about coal from that mad brain of your Bullets Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Raiser wrote: »

- Only joking everything I now know about coal from that mad brain of your Bullets Link

Hey what can I say! getting asked for feckin ID for a bag of polish coal (and being refused) at the Co-op while in Limerick County
    (not city) by a red t-shirt wearing spotty teenager and having to illegally travel to Clarina where no questions were asked by the local shop-keeper was just one of those WTF moments of my life! and all those hush hush
    plastic fertilizer bags full of turf from the sacred bogs of Listowel that have happily burnt in my fireplace giving
    off an orgasmic comfortable smell Mmmm good.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Raiser wrote: »
    Thanks for this - Assume 40Kg bags?

You assume correctly you assumed correctly you correctly assumed

your assumption is correct \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

bullets wrote: »

~B

I use smoke coal in the city centre, the smokeless coal burns out the grate, had to replace 2 of them in the last 3 years.

sure there is noone policing who is using the smoke coal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

molard wrote: »

8 bags of blocks for €20

Also delivers coal €15 per 40kg bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Was driving in the dock road yesterday and spotted a place with coal €12.99 for 40kg.
    Didn't see anything else so gonna check it out tomorrow and see if it is proper coal

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Was driving in the dock road yesterday and spotted a place with coal €12.99 for 40kg.
    Didn't see anything else so gonna check it out tomorrow and see if it is proper coal

the 12.99 coal isn't great, burns too quick and is messy. He does some polish coal for 15 which is far better - proper coal and I also picked up another bag of coal, I think he said colombian - had trouble with his accent:o- anyway its on offer down from 16.50 to 15 a bag and its brilliant - one scuttle of this kept a fire burning away for almost 6 hours - unheard of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Ballyneety village the garden center on the left hand side, 5 bags coal and free bale of brickets €72 he also has logs, blocks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

10euro 40kgs of coal in Walters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

jsd1004 wrote: »
    10euro 40kgs of coal in Walters.

Where's Walters?
    Is that Polish, English, smokeless?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

DOBBER112 wrote: »
    8 bags of blocks for €20

Also delivers coal €15 per 40kg bag

That's a brilliant price for the logs, I paid a E5 per bag of logs on Friday.

Also I'm living in the city centre and use the Polish rather than the smokeless coal...it's much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Where's Walters?
    Is that Polish, English, smokeless?

Thanks

Walters is Watchouse Cross Limerick. Near Moyross. Its English and regular. Seems to be good coal. Not that im an expert..

Anyway, I went down to the dock road to see this coal place yesterday.
    It seems to be a tyre place??
    I didn't go in, stopped to have a look out of the car but couldn't see any coal, just a tyre place.

Someone here mentioned walters have coal for a tenner and it is English.
    Bullets, you coal expert, is this coal much good??

I am going to ring the chap with the €20 blocks too and will let you all know if they are still €20 or if the price changed due to being December.

irish

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

got 2 bags of 40kg polish delivered from Walters for 27e...not bad at all

I rang the chap selling blocks, 8 X bags for €20.

He has them alright.
    They are softwood but very dry he said, not sure if that matters a lot.
    I just bought 16 bags off him.

Anyone here able to recommend where to get the colombian or english coal?
    I am hearing that it is better than the Polish stuff.

Thanks
    irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Ballyneety Garden Centre are doing 40Kg bags of Polish coal for €14.50

€14.00, €14.50 & €15.00 for a 40KG bag of coal isn't great.
    It is standard pricing.
    I rang a coal man 2 weeks ago for the first time in my life and he told me, proper polish coal, €15 a bag.
    Sure I didn't know the difference.

I am thinking there is someone who will sell you 40Kg bags of proper coal for €13 or less if you buy for example 10 bags or 15 bags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

i tried that english coal from walters last year and found the coal to be pretty poor to be honest wouldnt buy it again,anyone know if walters do the cosy glow coal its supposed to be very good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

i also got a bag of English Coal from walters and it was mostly dust or slack. The Polish coal there was very good and in fairness they did tell me the english coal was not as good hence the cheaper price.

I wouldn't see much point in buying bags of softwood to burn. You will get very little heat, and a quick burn.

The wood blocks at 8 for €20 burn fine. They burn slowly actually. One block takes about an hour to break down entirely and they become sort of segmented if that makes sense. Like into about 8 smoldering squares. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Ballyneety village the garden center on the left hand side, 5 bags coal and free bale of brickets €72 he also has logs, blocks etc.
    Crea wrote: »
    Ballyneety Garden Centre are doing 40Kg bags of Polish coal for €14.50

Anyone buy this? Is this good quality?? If not I will grab a bag and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Galtee on the Dock Road. Was there today and got two 40kg bags of pearls for €33. Great heat out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

LB6 wrote: »
    Galtee on the Dock Road. Was there today and got two 40kg bags of pearls for €33. Great heat out of them.

who makes them?

Walters are €11.90 for 40KG bags of Polish this morning. Collection only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

glic83 wrote: »
    who makes them?

not got a clue - but im not going out in the rain to check the bags now lol

Advertisement