Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal Prices - Limerick City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

LB6 wrote: »
    not got a clue - but im not going out in the rain to check the bags now lol

i think they are galtee fuels brand,there is another similar type cant remember the name think its cosy glow by bnm could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Ok braved the mist lol - they are by Galtee Fuels from Askeaton 069-65200

there was need to go outside but cheers all the same how you finding them?good heat, low ash?

It was no problem - there's great heat out of them - quick to catch on and burn for ages down to nothing. Wouldn't buy any other coal after that.

hmmmmm i think ill have to try a bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Nearly that time of the year again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Nearly that time of the year again :-)

Correct, I've noticed a big enough drop in temperatures in the last two weeks.

So what are the best prices for coal,turf/logs etc these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I got the chimney cleaned last week and the guy cleaning it reckoned that the coal I was paying €15 for last year will be €17 at least this year .

I haven't bought any yet as I still have a few bags left from last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I'd say Briquettes and other Bord na Mona products will go up as well as the harvest was very poor this year. They had a rep on Newstalk this morning talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭twofish101

Rang Walters today all prices are ex yard.

Polish per bag 11.90 if buying a tonne
    English coal 9.90 / 40kg bag regardless of quantity
    Slack 6.00 / 40kg bag

• Advertisement

twofish101 wrote: »
    Rang Walters today all prices are ex yard.

Polish per bag 11.90 if buying a tonne
    English coal 9.90 / 40kg bag regardless of quantity
    Slack 6.00 / 40kg bag

Whats ex yard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Whats ex yard?

You collect from their premises, I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Whats ex yard?

I collected one bag of English from the yard..9.90 seems fine in my stove. 2 small shovels keeps it going for 4 hours. Quoted me 11.90 for one bag of polish to take away as well.

Surely youd need your own pick up lorry to carry off a ton of coal. They didnt say anything about delivering that amount? Might ring them tomorrrow

do you deliver all over the city?

I dont deliver anything.

How many bags in a tonne anyway?
    Anyone know? Is it 20 bags?
    Been quoted 20 bags of "proper polish coal" for 299
    I know that is more expensive than the walters deal by a lot but is the walters stuff far inferior or something?

I dont deliver anything.

How many bags in a tonne anyway?
    Anyone know? Is it 20 bags?
    Been quoted 20 bags of "proper polish coal" for 299
    I know that is more expensive than the walters deal by a lot but is the walters stuff far inferior or something?

I love it when people have the coffee mentality that if does not cost 3 euro a coffee it is not good coffee..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Isn't a bag of coal 50kg? 20 x 50kg would be a tonne I think, open to correction here.

In relation to the "price/value", I got "cheap" coal a few years back, every morning the grate was full of charcol/stones and I was constantly having to clean the floor cause of spitting from the fire. I got proper coal after that and the difference is amazing, no comparision in the heat off it as well as the fact that there's nothing in the grate afterwards and no spitting.

Also, I'm a bit of a coffee geek, I don't think it has to be expensive to be good, I like to try whatever is on offer in Tesco :) but I do believe that you get what you pay for, if it seems to good to be true it normally is.

A bag of coal is 40kg

Clareman wrote: »
    Isn't a bag of coal 50kg? 20 x 50kg would be a tonne I think, open to correction here.

In relation to the "price/value", I got "cheap" coal a few years back, every morning the grate was full of charcol/stones and I was constantly having to clean the floor cause of spitting from the fire. I got proper coal after that and the difference is amazing, no comparision in the heat off it as well as the fact that there's nothing in the grate afterwards and no spitting.

Also, I'm a bit of a coffee geek, I don't think it has to be expensive to be good, I like to try whatever is on offer in Tesco :) but I do believe that you get what you pay for, if it seems to good to be true it normally is.

I have a stove so spitting is not an issue. I also live half the year in madrid where an amazing coffee costs 1.20, Starbucks still charge 2.00 euro for a coffee (madrid) you get all the tourists and nondiscripts go to starbucks for coffee when you can get amazing coffee from a corner shop in Spain. Used to own a coffee shop here as well and loved the profit margins on my (admittedly) good coffee. Have a friend who used to drink tea up to two years ago and now rekons he is a barista. I introduced him to coffee and (bit like wine) he reckons the more expensive is better,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A bag of coal is 40kg. So a ton(ne) will be 25 bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Anyone know where the best deals are for timber, hard wood if possible?

Might get a load in for the winter

Ta:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

got a load of off this crowd www.clarefirewood.ie

5 bales of briquettes in the coop for 19 euros, good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

2 x 40kg bags of polish + 2 bales of briquettes = €30.80 in Walters, ex yard. Think they charge an extra couple of euro if they deliver, got them last Thursday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Any update on the best quality / value coal in Limerick???

Down to my last couple of pieces of coal and its b****y freezing:D

Pearls today in Ger Walters place was €16.50 a bag. The place was thronged, car queues out down the road.

2 x 40kg bags of polish + 2 bales of briquettes = €30.80 in Walters, ex yard. Think they charge an extra couple of euro if they deliver, got them last Thursday.

I asked about this deal yesterday, they said they dont do it:confused:

Maybe they just didnt like the look of me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    I asked about this deal yesterday, they said they dont do it:confused:

Maybe they just didnt like the look of me?

Wasn't a deal, just drove in & asked for two bags of polish & the briquettes and was charged €30.80

How exactly do you look :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 biffo19

Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems like a good place to ask does anyone know where I'd get about €100 worth of good turf delivered to my house near Caherconlish?

Advertisement