Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hall Door Price - Exorbitant or wha?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

So our builders have given us a price for a new hall door. It's a small terraced house with a small fanlight over the door. It currently has a pvc door which needs to be replaced. Here's what they've quoted us:

€625 Hardwood Door and frame with rebated draft excluder in frame by ##### - Unprimed and to be painted by Others
    €485 Frame for Overhead Arch
    €95 Supply of Dead Lock and Yale Cylinder lock and hinges for door
    €50 Allow for Letter Box - Could be €150 depending on type
    €200 Provisional Sum for Piece of Glass / Double Glazed Unit
    €485 Labour in Fitting

Any ideas on the quote? Should we try and get it done ourselves privately?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

So our builders have given us a price for a new hall door. It's a small terraced house with a small fanlight over the door. It currently has a pvc door which needs to be replaced. Here's what they've quoted us:

€625 Hardwood Door and frame with rebated draft excluder in frame by ##### - Unprimed and to be painted by Others
    €485 Frame for Overhead Arch
    €95 Supply of Dead Lock and Yale Cylinder lock and hinges for door
    €50 Allow for Letter Box - Could be €150 depending on type
    €200 Provisional Sum for Piece of Glass / Double Glazed Unit
    €485 Labour in Fitting

Any ideas on the quote? Should we try and get it done ourselves privately?

= €1,940?

Does that include making the fanlight and supplying the glazing?
    If so, the price while high, could be justified if there are some special considerations/unusual specifications.
    If the fanlight remains as is, i.e. the new frame is to butt onto the bottom rail of the fanlight, then the price is far too high.

The lock, letter box and glazing look overpriced.

You should very definitely get a quote and second opinion from a joinery firm before committing to the builder - one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

sounds a wee bit on the high side. The devils in the detail should get a top quality door for that. fitting seems extreme should be done in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

doing that job in one day would make youe day handy infairness sounds to me the builder is getting someone else to make it and trying to make money on fit price around once its not a huge door with alot a glazing doesnt sound like it doe

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

Crazy price, shop around. If I was you I'd price a composite door.

Advertisement