Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gumshoe runs again

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

--A-- it was a good call IMO, err on the side of caution. Larger picture, you missed out on a few miles not a whole session or a whole week. A rule I use is if a niggle appears I'll keep going. If it is stil lthere a mile later I take serious note but keep running, if its worse a mile later I back off the pace completely and jog home. If a short cut is an option I take it. We are not getting any younger and any sign of a niggle is to be treated with respect even if it turns out to be nothing. The cautious approach is entirely against my natural make up by the way so its something I really listen to these days.

When do you plan to hit the pool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hallelujah! All praise be due to his noodly appendages because I AM HEALED!!!

Told by Coach to take time off, stretch and get it seen to. Told by MrsA to wise up, grow up, stop being so pig headed and stupid and take time off, get it seen to and sorted. Argued and insisted I should be allowed to cycle and run on Wed and had agreed with Coach to 4 recovery on Wed to see how I was.

On mature reflection - and after a few brow beatings from herself - I took Mon & Tue off totally. As it happens yesterday I had to go to Dublin and wasn't home till very late so couldn't run at all then either. So today I made time and finally got out after 3 days solid rest. I ditched the 4 mile recovery idea because of teh extra days rest and figured I would go out and run a range of paces over 5 miles and see how it felt. Times were 7:18 / 6:59 / 7:55 / 7:17 / 6:23. I deliberately slowed down and sped up to test how the knee reacted and there were no issues at all, even with the 10k pace last mile.

Rotterdam is back on :)

MCOS - I am NOT aging, thats a vicious lie and anyway MrsA reckons I am perpetually 12... Pool I don't know, I need to swing out to UL and get the times of the classes but I am hoping to do a duathlon in Spring, all else being well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hallelujah! All praise be due to his noodly appendages because I AM HEALED!!!

Told by Coach to take time off, stretch and get it seen to. Told by MrsA to wise up, grow up, stop being so pig headed and stupid and take time off, get it seen to and sorted. Argued and insisted I should be allowed to cycle and run on Wed and had agreed with Coach to 4 recovery on Wed to see how I was.

On mature reflection - and after a few brow beatings from herself - I took Mon & Tue off totally. As it happens yesterday I had to go to Dublin and wasn't home till very late so couldn't run at all then either. So today I made time and finally got out after 3 days solid rest. I ditched the 4 mile recovery idea because of teh extra days rest and figured I would go out and run a range of paces over 5 miles and see how it felt. Times were 7:18 / 6:59 / 7:55 / 7:17 / 6:23. I deliberately slowed down and sped up to test how the knee reacted and there were no issues at all, even with the 10k pace last mile.

Rotterdam is back on :)

MCOS - I am NOT aging, thats a vicious lie and anyway MrsA reckons I am perpetually 12... Pool I don't know, I need to swing out to UL and get the times of the classes but I am hoping to do a duathlon in Spring, all else being well

Think I should be sending on your schedule to MrsA rather than you to get you to do what you are told more often :rolleyes:

ecoli wrote: »
    Think I should be sending on your schedule to MrsA rather than you to get you to do what you are told more often :rolleyes:

Let's just say that she can call on more weapons than you can...

You're not the first to say that actually - when I meet the Accountant he gives her the list of things he wants me to do. In my defence I make no secret of the fact that I am lazy, unmotivated, uncommitted, pig headed, stubborn and convinced that I know better in pretty much every situation :)

Friday I was supposed to do 3E 4T 3E but left the house in a bit of a grump and wanting to be doing anything but run. It was blustery, wet and cold and I had a crappy couple of days at work. As a contractor I should be kept out of the politics but two projects are coming up; one is a political football with everyone smiling and back-stabbing and the other is just a disaster that they have concocted internally and are now kicking over to me to fix. And I have a feeling I haven't been told everything about it either. Set off and legs felt like lead and within half a mile I had a random set of phantom pains. Ditched the idea of 4T and just ran it for running. Paces 8:09 / 8:04 / 8:08 / 7:57 / 8:01 / 7:50 / 7:54 / 7:43 / 7:59 / 7:37 and felt better the more I ran.

7E on the schedule for today, I did think about pulling the 4T into it but played it safe, bearing in mind the LSR tomm and the recent niggle. Ran easy and with the dogs; paces were 7:51 / 8:05 (stop to release lead) / 7:20 / 7:03 / 7:09 / 7:21 / 8:10 (connect lead) / 6:55. Didn't feel under pressure at all on teh run and nice to see the paces coming down a little.

• Advertisement

18 planned and 18 done, took 2:23 so avg 7:57/mile. Started out a bit quicker with a few miles in the 7:4x range early on but the 7th mile included 28m of ascent so that knocked manners into me. Whole course had a total of 150m of climbs, might not be much for people who mountain run but I figure that it will stand to me on the Dutch flats. What is particularly encouraging is that I stayed at or under 8 min miles without fading right the way through, with the exception of the miles that had big climbs, so my endurance is still there or thereabouts. And an estimated 2,079 calories burned. Time to cook and eat a mountainous Sunday dinner methinks!

Well where are we up to?

Monday was a recovery, told to do 4 at a slow pace but misjudged it a fraction and did 4.9 with an average pace just under 9 min/mile (started slower but sped up). Felt pretty wiped out actually, I find running slow a lot harder than running faster.

Tuesday was 7E so I did just that, took the hounds and went for a paddle through the riverside mud, 7.06 miles in avg 8:26. Cushdie :) Legs still felt pretty tired though so I had my concerns over today.

And the plan for today was both complicated and scary. 2 mile warm up, 2@10k pace, 5 min recovery, 1@10k pace, 3 min recovery, 1@10k pace, 3 min recovery, 2@10k pace, easy home. Eek.

On the surface I should be pretty pleased with teh run I did. The Garmin doesn't do mile splits on a workout but the first 2 miles were 8/mins pace and the splits pace were 6:17 / 5:58 / 6:16 / 6:26. Lots of up and down hills and wind from various directions but effort was pretty constant. Also ran in the Hyperspeeds - I know I shouldn't race in them but I am tempted... My 10k PB from a couple of years ago is 38:xx so holding a rough average of 6:15ish is bang on 10k pace.

I can't help but be a tiny bit disappointed though - the last split was a little slow and I should be doing these at sub 6 pace if my targets are to be anything other than machismo and talk. The weather is getting to me as well - constant wind, cold and heavy rain makes these sessions harder work than they should be. I suppose I should take it as a sign of progress that I am disappointed with a session like todays but what I wouldn't give for a transfer to the Bahamas right about now...

Well Thur / Fri and Sat were all just easy runs so not a vast amount to report on them - 5 / 8 / 8 at paces from 8 - 8:30. Took me a couple of days to shake off the fatigue from Wed but got there in the end.

And then today. 16@7:15 - 7:30 pace. On the surface that shouldn't be a challenge (PMP will be in the 6:40 or under range) but for some reason I was a tiny bit apprehensive. Don't get me wrong I was delighted it was only 16 (I hate long runs) but I wasn't 100% convinced I had rebuilt enough speed to run a sub 1:40 half and then carry on at that speed for another 3 miles - it's not that long ago I was looking at 3:15 marathons and sub 7:30 was PMP so to do it as a "steady" run felt a tiny bit alien.

The first half mile didn't feel great, tbh. Legs felt heavy and my hips were aching. And I had been so busy issuing instructions and orders to JnrA that I left teh house without my sports drink and was well down teh road before I remembered it. It wasn't worth going back so I figured I would run it un-fuelled - once upon a time I ran all runs up to 18 on empty and anything over with just water as part of a drive to improve my efficiency and fat for fuel burning so I wasn't that bothered about doing 16 that way. It didn't take long for my legs to loosen up and it turns out that mile 1 was 7:14. I think all experienced runners develop a mental speedo where they can mentally "dial in" a speed and just let thier legs take care of it and I was delighted that mine was working again. Pace got as low as 7:06 before I started into the hillier section. I juggled the route a little so that the hills were long gradual drags rather than shorter and steeper and pace drifted out to 7:2x and stayed there till mile 11 when a few 7:3x's crept in. I focussed a bit in the last couple of miles (7:28 / 7:29) and finished with an average of 7:25, which I'm quite happy with, thank you very much!

58ish for the week, 7 days running and no pain, just the usual "I'm training and my legs are tired could you please pass me the beer darling" fatigue. Disappointed with the pace on Wed but happier with today. I can live with that.

Advertisement