Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Toilet in School (or not)

Options
  • 19-10-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I don't think ds is using toilet in school , he has had a couple of accidents and they are allowed go without asking as they are en suite . He's quiet and shy as I've said on other posts but I think it may be that he feels shy getting up and going off to the toilet in front of everyone. This morning I told him he had to go at least twice and more if he needs to so that he doesn't have an accident but I think he just held it all day. He says he went when he went in to school but I know. I have spoken to the teacher after one of the accidents and she said she reminds them a a group after break . At the moment I'm withholding a lollipop after school until he goes twice. I know that sounds bad but at least if he goes twice he shouldn't have an accident then and avoid the embarrassment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kilco

Help anyone!!!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Thread moved to Parenting

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

kilco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I don't think ds is using toilet in school , he has had a couple of accidents and they are allowed go without asking as they are en suite . He's quiet and shy as I've said on other posts but I think it may be that he feels shy getting up and going off to the toilet in front of everyone. This morning I told him he had to go at least twice and more if he needs to so that he doesn't have an accident but I think he just held it all day. He says he went when he went in to school but I know. I have spoken to the teacher after one of the accidents and she said she reminds them a a group after break . At the moment I'm withholding a lollipop after school until he goes twice. I know that sounds bad but at least if he goes twice he shouldn't have an accident then and avoid the embarrassment.

That was me at school, i was too shy to ask or even get up in front of everyone to go to the toilet. Have another word with the teacher and ask her to remind your son (on the quiet out of ear shot of the other kids) to use the bathroom just as sus is starting and again at lunch, it would be better if at the time she told your son that everyone was up out of their seats. It may take a few more months but he will get there.

With holding the lolly pop wont do any good, your punishing him for being shy...... try and think of ways for rewarding him for staying dry! Motivate him and encourage him rather than punish him........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

DS = son? (FYI...acronyms like these are not encouraged on the forum, but I realise you didn't post it here).

Also, how old is the child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

FYI...acronyms are not encouraged on the forum,
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kilco

Thanks for replies I spoke to the teacher today and she is going to remind him , she hadn't done before as she didn't want to embarrass him but I've asked her if she would again as I think it's the lesser of two evils rather be embarrassed about being asked than wetting himself and maybe end up being called names so he told me after school today he went a few times and was dry so I brought him in to the shop and told him to pick out whatever he wanted as a treat. He was a different child too in great form because I think he wasn't as worried because he had gone. He's 5 by the way.

Advertisement