Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Injections

Options
  • 19-10-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi everyone,

I have just been diagnosed with MS, I have been given literature about treatment but I can't decide.

My question is: is the intra muscular injection a lot more painful then the subcutaneous one?

Thanks for reading my post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

they have oral pills comeing in december maybe if your worryed your doc would stick you on them ?

I was on the subcutaneous ones for 9 months they gave me a lot of side effects including a really painful eye and swelling/bruising in the injection sites for what its worth though the nuro did say the eye thing wasnt coimmon at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

are the orals a first line treatment though? or are they like tysabri?
    as for the injections, the intramuscular one goes into the muscle so is more painfull Im pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭val444

I am in the same boat, must choose a medication soon! I have been told that the tablet is only for those who have tried interferon unsuccessfully.

I must get my butt in gear and read all the pamphlets and watch all the DVDs I was given. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Mushaboom wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have just been diagnosed with MS, I have been given literature about treatment but I can't decide.

My question is: is the intra muscular injection a lot more painful then the subcutaneous one?

Thanks for reading my post

I think the subcutaneous are a bit kinder. The injection needle doesnt hurt but it is the solution going in that stings!!

The flu injection is intra muscular so if you have had one of those you will know that that hurts!

Ive been injecting four years now and you get used to it. Stings a bit but not too bad overall

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mushaboom

Thanks a million for all the replies! That has really helped, I've been finding it really hard to make a decision. :confused: but now I'm thinking the subcutaneous a few times a week might be less painfull overall.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have done both, agree the solution going in is the worst part. I always put some ice-cubes in a plastic bag(wrapped in a clean cloth) on the site for about ten mins before injecting, then swabbed the site and did the injection.

Thanks, I have one of those cooler packs in the freezer so will try that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Mushaboom, I give my wife avonex injections and as she is quite slim she found the needles that came with the avonex a bit big she was able to change them for smaller ones "microlance 3" I think they are used for babies :) she holds an ice cube in kitchen towel on her leg for a few mins and then I aim for the middle of the mark it leaves and she says it doesn't hurt.
    Best of luck, I hope you all end up on a oral one soon.

Thanks Fergal, will mention them to MS nurse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I take Copaxone daily injections, which are subcutaneous. I had side effects at the start (itchy sites with "hive" sort of lumps that would go down in a day) but I'm fine now.

Sub cutaneous ones are just under the skin, so the needle would be smaller than one that had to reach the muscle. To be honest, the majority of the "pain" is in your head. Just prepare yourself for injecting your own body (I used visualisations) and you'll be fine x

• Advertisement

Thanks ElleEm!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

I have been taking Rebif injections for a few months, at the start with the lower amounts it was fine to inject now at the highest amount it stings i do mine in my legs, bum and stomach making sure not to use the same places all the time, I get bad injection site reactions like swelling and redness. I know it sounds bad but if you are taking any injections they will leave marks they go away if you mositurise your skin and drink plenty of water.

If your deciding about what injection to take look out for what side effects they have, i get chills, and nausea and headaches from the rebif but im hoping that they will pass, i heard the first year is the worst

I was also told the tablet is coming out soon but they have no licence for it in Ireland yet also i was told that if the injections are working for you they wont change you to it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

After years on rebif and then a year on avonex the side effects were still taking up most of the week for my wife with the chills and headaches I know it's different for everyone but for her she felt it just wasn't worth it anymore, we made an appointment to see Dr Orla H and she put her forward for the oral tablet pending a MRI Thank GOD no more injections :D but then again there is no way of telling what side effects this new drug will have, we shall see.
    As a non sufferer of MS I feel for you all and know that the outside world knows next to nothing of what you go through, you would get more sympathy if you had a broken finger.
    Another big thing this week is we put in for a wheelchair, she has used one a few times over the years for different trips but this one is for keeps I think as the walking just wasn't worth it the next day with leg cramps.
    So I hope the wheelchair will let her go shopping without having to give in too much to the MS.

I have been taking Rebif injections for a few months, at the start with the lower amounts it was fine to inject now at the highest amount it stings i do mine in my legs, bum and stomach making sure not to use the same places all the time, I get bad injection site reactions like swelling and redness. I know it sounds bad but if you are taking any injections they will leave marks they go away if you mositurise your skin and drink plenty of water.

If your deciding about what injection to take look out for what side effects they have, i get chills, and nausea and headaches from the rebif but im hoping that they will pass, i heard the first year is the worst

I was also told the tablet is coming out soon but they have no licence for it in Ireland yet also i was told that if the injections are working for you they wont change you to it.

Thanks outnumbered, do you take your rebif with a rebismart device?

I hope the oral meds work out well for your wife, Fergal. I can see why she would rather be on them then the injections!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Injecting 10++ years now. Still have to take paracetomal and injection sites do hurt but I feel they are working. No major relapse at all for 8 years now!! Check for nystagmus in the eyes this can often cause pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

Yes i do use the rebismart device, its a bit bulky but very easy to use, when i first saw it i wanted to change to more of a smaller one but now im fine with it, the best part is that you cant see the injection happening :)

femur61 wrote: »
    Injecting 10++ years now. Still have to take paracetomal and injection sites do hurt but I feel they are working. No major relapse at all for 8 years now!! Check for nystagmus in the eyes this can often cause pain.

Is nystagmus a side effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Mushaboom wrote: »
    Is nystagmus a side effect?

Its a symptom of MS, the eyes jerk very slightly causing seasickness.

Advertisement