Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power loader on a 4600

• 19-10-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have this style of loader on a ford 4600?

4600done1.jpg

If so, is there any chance you could time it going from fully down to fully up.

ours is dog slow and the mechanic (who I think is just sick of the sight of me) says they're just a crappy slow loader and the pump is fine and putting out 2500psi.

I've never used one of these before but it just seems too slow to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

one piece of advice on slow hydraulics in general, you need to measure the flow (gal per minute) as well as the PSI of pump.. the PSI on its own wont tell you anything, your pump could still be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

Spot on corkcomp, also there should be an adjustment for the speed of the oil flow on those 4600 models. tortoise and hare type of knob/lever.

Had one years ago used to wrap silage with it, had a fast oil flow.

Check your quick release fittings for restrictors, sometimes they can be there if the fittings are harvested off other equipment. they are like a 1p piece with a pin hole in it. designed to slow down the oil flow for small rams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I agree, hence why I want to get some hard numbers on what the exact same config should be capable of.

Any tips on measuring flow? not sure I want to time how long it takes to empty the back end at 2500psi :)

I've done calculated estimated flow calculations that suggest I'm only getting 9L/minute but my maths could be wayyyy off.

According to the manual, the speed control is only to adjust the rate of drop of the three point linkage. The knob is broken off it, but I must put a vicegrips on it and see if it turns.

I've fitted all new quick releases as the old ones were leaking terribly, so definitely no restictors in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Did you change the oil filter?

I had a 4600 with a Millmaster loader before and it was grand and quick. I have a 4600 now with a Quickie 2230, and it is very fast so you shouldn't have a prob at the tractor end.

The fast/slow lever is down behind your r/h calf when sitting on the seat. It is half moon knob and it should be as far backwards as possible. You should be getting about 32l/m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

New filters, back end was partially stripped and the whole thing cleaned out, strainer washed out, the whole 9 yards.

Sadly I never used this before all the work was done so I've no idea what it should be like, hence why I'm trying to find someone with the same setup to get a timing on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

Our 4600 has a loader like that but its a home made job, loader off a massey 178/188. Goes up fairly quick though not slow at all.

Advertisement