Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Not Piss Off the Guys at Eurooptic!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Ezridax wrote: »
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong here.

You can say what you want with the necessary proof/documentation. So if i owe a company/person money and they say Ezridax owes us X amount thats okay. However if they embelish the statment by adding insult such as name calling or slanderous remarks which could be classed as character assassination then thats also a problem. So Eurooptics adding these insults, if done here, would still fall foul of the law?

IOW, report the facts.

Yes from what I see. Soooo confusing, where are the days you have a fist to fist fight or a slagging match in a open place with out being mindful that your going to get in trouble. Same as kids fighting in schools now, theres a case up in Cavan where the parents are suing some kid cause he had fight with their pricious child:D the funny thing is that "their" kid picked on the wrong person and he ended up battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BTW you would want to check can firearms be seized as collatoral here.
    ASFIK thats a no no due to our liscensing laws.As firearms cannot be even taken in pawn here and it is up to AGS to seize firearms in relation to criminal matters not civil torts.So in that case the sheriff could be arrested for illegal possession of firearms!!
    Also having had abit of experiance with the sheriffs and their henchmen.
    The concept of underwriting high goods value is apart from abhorrently ilegal also counter verifiable by having the Revenue decide on its value.
    IOW the Sheriff cant seize your Ferrari F40 say,and then say a 200k car in Ireland is only worth 2,000 quid.

As for the US,would you want to try and prove slander/defamation where the onus is on you to prove it.And the first question out of Eurooptics lawyers mouth is going to be "Tell the court Mr X,why you havent paid up for the scope,when you can file a class action lawsuit costing Xthousand dollars,and you owe Euro optics five hundered or whatever the case maybe?"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    BTW you would want to check can firearms be seized as collatoral here.
    ASFIK thats a no no due to our liscensing laws.
    That's not correct. As we've said many times, ownership and possession are seperate concepts. That's why nobody got compensation after '72 - the firearms were never confiscated, just held by the Gardai because there weren't any licences, but you could sell them on, and that's how it'd be done here. The sherrif would get a section 2(5)(a) authorisation and that'd be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,369 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sparks wrote: »
    TL;DR version - doesn't matter where the site's hosted, it matters where you live. That's where jurisdiction will most likely apply.

I'm not sure that fully true Sparks.
    For example, I don't live in Ireland, but that doesn't mean that anything I say anythign I like about other posters on boards.ie. It could still be slander.
    I still come under irish law posting on boards.ie

Online law is a pretty tricky thing, its not about breaking the law, its about chasing it up most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

It sounds like a fabulous idea to me, in fact I've already a few names in my head, I wonder is it OK to post a few up on boards.ie? :D

Probably best not to :p

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure that fully true Sparks.
    Not fully (the full story is about four novels long), but it is for folks living in Ireland who think that hosting their site abroad indemnifies them in any case of defamation :)

demonloop wrote: »
    It sounds like a fabulous idea to me, in fact I've already a few names in my head, I wonder is it OK to post a few up on boards.ie? :D
    Probably best not to :p
    Like I said, the joys of US libel legislation....
    We'd have seen Haughey out of office in a heartbeat, would probably have skipped over most of the worst of the economic woes we're now in, and I'd suspect that a *lot* of people would be in different occupations. And for the majority of us, that'd all be for the better...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think it's a great idea fair play to them

Advertisement