Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Theft Auto III turns 10

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That.... never happened.

Yes it did, paragraph two:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/raidendx.htm

Apparently a typo, but if you read the review (issue 105) it was very negative. A classic case of arse covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

remember being in college, my friend had a ps3 and used to leave it in our house. all we used play was pro evo really. had not really played games in years. he brought this in when it came out (i had no idea it was even being released)

WOW , what a game. 3 of us spent that first weekend taking turns doing missions / suicide runs from the army etc in a darkened sitting room.

great times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes it did, paragraph two:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/raidendx.htm

Apparently a typo, but if you read the review (issue 105) it was very negative. A classic case of arse covering.

The score is an eight, accusations of arse covering "typos" aside.
    Either way seven or an eight is a adequate score for GTA III.

Though most of this has more to do with the stupid system of scoring games have and the stupid way that anything less than an eight seems to equate to "woarst gaem evear!" for most people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it just seemed to me another example of Edge not being able to admit they can get it wrong sometimes. I've no time for anyone or any publication like that. At the time it was a big thing because it was so obviously Edge trying to backtrack and cover their arse in a not very subtle manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

weiland79 wrote: »
    Funny you say that because i was just thinking, how did they get the driving so wrong in GTA4.
    GTA4 was easily the most playable and best looking, it just didn't go as far with missions, it was a big step up in every respect bar story. I loved the driving in it.
    just traded in my gta 4 for my 360, and i just bought it again on steam today :D are a 1 gig gtx 460 and an i7 930 enough for this game? i heard its badly optimized on the pc
    Yes, it will play very well on that machine, it's been patched and fixed since release.

I went back and played GTA:VC and it just doesn't work properly any more, the driving seemed horrible, it was weird because as soon as these games came out I'd play them solid in any free time I had.

I wonder are there HD & handling mods for these games on PC now? It would be great to just drop the GTA 3 series into the GTA4 engine to reply them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

10 years ago, my dad picked the game up for me in Game in Tallaght. So many hours poured into GTA III and never really tired of it as. Ah good times, except for the Dodo. Couldn't fly it whatsoever :p
    Penn wrote: »
    When I replayed VC (or tried to), everything just moved too fast. The smallest nudge of the stick and I'd swerve wildly across the road. So hard to just inch past cars without crashing. Maybe just out of practice. I'd completed the main GTA4 game about 3 times, and both DLCs twice before replaying Vice City, I'm sure I'd get used to it again, but I find the driving easier in GTA4.

Same with the walking, just seemed to be moving too fast, though it may be the screen size amplifying that. But felt like a harder game to control

Indeed. Was in the same boat as yourself when I tried playing the older GTA games. The controls were very difficult to manage in VC and SA after playing GTA IV :(
    i actually loved the car physics in gta 4, it actually took time to get good at driving unlike the other gta's, gta 4 was my favorite game on consoles this gen without a doubt, people didnt like it because it took on a more serious tone compared to other gta's, although i think the two dlc's did a good job in bringing back some of the silliness.

I've said this umpteen times, but if GTA IV was titled something else. I think those who were disappointed by the game would have loved it. As a game, structurally (physics, graphics, etc.) it really is a wonderful game. Just misses the humour and tone of GTA's of the past. It was a ballsy move by Rockstar to deviate from what made it great, but I think with the DLC and feedback from it, they've learned what GTA fans want.

The Ballad of Gay Tony DLC was very good and certainly re-introduced that GTA wacky missions and characters that was missing with IV for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Decade, eh? Feckin' hell.

I had a PS2 from almost launch (for Wipeout fusion lol)...this was the next game I bought after a mate saying that the top down versions were brilliant...think it was about a month before christmas and I found a guy putting some copies out on the rack in Golden Discs and handed over the £45.

Blown away by both the graphics and the radio stations nevermind the gameplay....just jumping in for 2 minutes of going nuts and getting busted, or sitting down and grinding out missions. Remember being so disappointed when I finished story missions (that dam mission was great but too easy) but got so much more value ot of it on secret package hunts and just driving around looking for the cars to steal to the list for the guy in the warehouse on the last island or for unique stunts.
    Never did manage to get the dodo off the ground (never realised you actually could until much later)...my first experience of the city from above came in VC in the chopper...think I preferred VC cos of that, but the OST/radio in LC were way better. Loved the hip hop and DnB stations myself.

I've been neglecting my gaming lately (not turned on a console in months)...pissy saturday afternoon could be a good excuse to switch on the PS2 and bring a cheetah for a spin...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

By the way, for anyone who wants to relive the nostalgia, the full GTA collection if available on sale here for a tenner or so.

Also available on Steam for that price. I bought them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I always prefered the PS2 port of Liberty City Stories, as it took the awesome aesthetic of GTA3 and coupled it with the buffs of the latter games, like burstable wheels, motorbikes and whatnot.

Its influence can't be understated, really. I mean, it can be credited for popularizing, and perhaps perfecting, sandbox gaming, since Shenmue went slightly under mainstream radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

One of my favourite things to do was to get the fire engine, go full speed into a taxi and see it fly down the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'll never forget doing a bit of a speed run through the game because I didn't have a memory card at the time! :)

One of the defining games of the generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Only realized recently there was an entire drum n bass station on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just been playing a bit of GTA3. I kept trying to move the camera with the right stick while in cars, but nothing would happen. Which GTA did they introduce that in? Out of the car it goes into first person look, and the vertical axis is inverted :D

The graphics are a bit dated, but I think I'd still be able to play it. The driving isn't as tight or weighty as IV, but I didn't have a problem getting used to them. The inability to jump from a flaming car got me filled a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Ah I remember playing this when I was 8. Good times :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I actually had this on the Xbox as well. Graphics were a lot better and you could play music from your HD via the in-game radio.

Advertisement