Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

westlife have officially announced split

Options
  • 19-10-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

In fairness they did the country proud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

After 14 years, 26 top ten hits including 14 number one singles,11 top 5 albums, 7 of which hit the top spot and have collectively sold over 44 million copies around the world, 10 sell out tours and countless memories that we will forever cherish, we today announce our plan to go our separate ways after a greatest hits collection this Christmas and a farewell tour next year. The decision is entirely amicable and after spending all of our adult life together so far, we want to have a well-earned break and look at new ventures. We see the greatest hits collection and the farewell tour as the perfect way to celebrate our incredible career along with our fans. We are really looking forward to getting out on the tour and seeing our fans one last time.

Over the years Westlife has become so much more to us than just a band. Westlife are a family. We would like to thank our fans who have been with us on this amazing journey and are part of our family too.

We never imagined when we started out in 1998 that 14 years later we would still be recording, touring and having hits together. It has been a dream come true for all of us.

Kian, Mark, Nicky and Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, no other band could write unique songs like they did.

Oh, wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Sad day for music alright LOL

so the irish artist thats in the spotlight now is......Jedward.......sweet jesus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, no other band could write unique songs like they did.

Oh, wait......
    Poor Westlife have split. They were never the same after the gay one died.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

happy days :D

knew one of them nice guy even after becoming famous but there "music" never did anything for me

Moved from bands/musicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Best of luck with the solo albums!

theres no winning with yous

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭friendlylady

ap1986 wrote: »
    Poor Westlife have split. They were never the same after the gay one died.;)
    Are you thinking of Boyzone or are you just being Sarcastic:D Sorry not being smart, just wanted to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Chrast, having a bad week now this.

Least I can do however is buy their greatest hits album and farwell concert tickets in case they're short of a few bob in these tough times. Seems a bargain for all the happy times they've given us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Westlife have split - FOR SALE, 4 HIGH STOOLS

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Quite literally, against all odds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Westlife out, Stone Roses in.

Yeah I think we'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

ya, i wouldnt want it in my forum either! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The time has come anyway.

At least Shane, Mark, Kian and Nicky will finally have some space to grow individually.

With regards to the Jedward comment, no the future of Irish music lies with The Script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

They were still together? Haha. At least the music world has become a slightly better place now.

If the future of Irish music lies with The Script we're still screwed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Could we move it to Celebrity & Showbiz instead? :p

Happily Westlife have split. Unfortunately this means rather than one bland, anodyne and dull album being flogged by their record company at Christmas we'll now get four. I also can't wait for their triumphant reunion tour in a few years time when they start to run out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Expect a reunion in a few years with Brian McFatty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Awwww... :(

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    Could we move it to Celebrity & Showbiz instead? :p

Happily Westlife have split. Unfortunately this means rather than one bland, anodyne and dull album being flogged by their record company at Christmas we'll now get four. I also can't wait for their triumphant reunion tour in a few years time when they start to run out of money.
    yeah that seems to be the latest craze!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Maximum 40 Characters

Westlife split up and the Roses get back together.A great month for music.
    (I shall ignore that Steps are also back with us as that does not fit in with my point)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

no loss that i can see, they were getting out dated and boring , they were a daddy band not a boy band anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

karaokeman wrote: »
    The time has come anyway.

At least Shane, Mark, Kian and Nicky will finally have some space to grow individually.

With regards to the Jedward comment, no the future of Irish music lies with The Script.

Jesus, I don't even know where to start with that…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Zero1986 wrote: »
    If the future of Irish music lies with The Script we're still screwed though.

Only if David Norris wins the presedential campaign:p.

Off-topic I know but Irish music in general hasn't been bad these last few years with the likes of The Thrills, The Coronas and so fort.

U2 are taking a few years off so I'm naming The Script seen as how they are the next biggest Irish band around. And The Script obviously will be a much bigger success story than Westlife a few years down the line because The Script have actually broke America.
    Malice wrote: »
    rather than one bland, anodyne and dull album being flogged by their record company at Christmas we'll now get four. I also can't wait for their triumphant reunion tour in a few years time when they start to run out of money.

I sincerely doubt that all four of them will have successful solo careers. No one really knows Shane by his full name so I don't see him having a big solo career.

Triumphant? If they ever do reunite, no. Westlife are no Take That and they never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A V A wrote: »
    no loss that i can see, they were getting out dated and boring , they were a daddy band not a boy band anymore

You have to commend them and Lulu Walsh though they make some money in their 14 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

so the irish artist thats in the spotlight now is......Jedward.......sweet jesus

The problem's not the artists, it's the "spotlight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

After 14 years, 26 top ten hits including 14 number one singles,11 top 5 albums, 7 of which hit the top spot and have collectively sold over 44 million copies around the world, 10 sell out tours and countless memories that we will forever cherish, we today announce our plan to go our separate ways after a greatest hits collection this Christmas and a farewell tour next year. The decision is entirely amicable and after spending all of our adult life together so far, we want to have a well-earned break and look at new ventures. We see the greatest hits collection and the farewell tour as the perfect way to celebrate our incredible career along with our fans. We are really looking forward to getting out on the tour and seeing our fans one last time.

Over the years Westlife has become so much more to us than just a band. Westlife are a family. We would like to thank our fans who have been with us on this amazing journey and are part of our family too.

We never imagined when we started out in 1998 that 14 years later we would still be recording, touring and having hits together. It has been a dream come true for all of us.

Kian, Mark, Nicky and Shane

not be a nit picker but westlife 1st appeared on the scene in late spring of 1999 , that would make them twelve and a half years on the scene rather than fourteen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Westlife split, Gadaffi was dead all we now is for Dana to fcuk off and this will officially be what I think they call the Holy Trinity:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

karaokeman wrote: »

That's equally as tragic.

Advertisement