Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniform For 1

Options
  • 19-10-2011 6:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

Can an employer with one employee insist on a uniform? A friend of mine has been out of work for about 4 months. She has now been offered a secretarial job. She attended for interview and after three days was contacted by the boss who is a professional. She would be the only employee. He told her that wearing a uniform would be a requirement. He says that she will have to buy the uniform herself and he will re-imburse half of the cost over 6 months. The uniform consists of a navy skirt suit with white blouse.
    Most of the time she will be typing and will hardly ever meet anybody. Has anybody else had this experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

The employer is perfectly entitled to set a dress code/uniform.
    Pretty generous that he is reimbursing her 50%.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Agreed.

My dress code is a full suit and I dont get any subsidies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Isn't there supposed to be a trousers option for females?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

kneeler wrote: »
    Can an employer with one employee insist on a uniform? A friend of mine has been out of work for about 4 months. She has now been offered a secretarial job. She attended for interview and after three days was contacted by the boss who is a professional. She would be the only employee. He told her that wearing a uniform would be a requirement. He says that she will have to buy the uniform herself and he will re-imburse half of the cost over 6 months. The uniform consists of a navy skirt suit with white blouse.
    Most of the time she will be typing and will hardly ever meet anybody. Has anybody else had this experience?

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    The employer is perfectly entitled to set a dress code/uniform.
    Pretty generous that he is reimbursing her 50%.

I would have thought that if a specific uniform was required, that the employer had to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I think this sounds totally fair actually. When I wore a uniform for work it was provided for me but I got deducted I think 40cent a week for it from my paypack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

ElleEm wrote: »
    I would have thought that if a specific uniform was required, that the employer had to provide it.

No.

I've often seen t-shirts being provided, but the likes of dark trousers, black shoes, white shirts, etc, are almost always provided by the employee themselves.

It's more a dress code than a uniform actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I think that the only time that the employer is required to provide work-wear is when it is safety related PPE.

Advertisement