Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good Jeep/off road/ also around town car

Options
  • 19-10-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hey,

This might be better suited to the car forum but I imagine they would never use a Jeep/Off roader for shooting (ok there is bound to be a few who cross forums :) )

Basically my Festi (99 C) is getting a bit worn down, both aesthetically and mechanically, and it might be time to put her out to sea in a burning ship.

I will probably have to replace it early next year (Jan/Feb) and was thinking of getting a Jeep type vehicle. Cars were never my thing so I know feck all about them except how not to crash and that my insurance is too high for my age plus many many years no claim bonus. What would be a good Jeep or offroad type vehicle that would be suitable for going shooting with and driving to work every day?

Price wise would not want to go over €4K.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Nissan X-trail- might be tight getting one on that budget though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Is this about a good Jeep or a good 4X4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just about to post that. Excellent vehicle on and off the road. However the budget might be a little low for a decent year.

Another option for pure off road and on road/runabout) would be a defender. Workhorse of a jeep, and simple as chips to run.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

hey there fella here it is the greatest little jeep going its called a suzuki jimmy of grand vitara i had one for years shooting foxs and sstalking as well and where my little grand vitara went you would not walk it lo lol lol and you would get one for approx 2 to 3 thousand no prob on interenet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

LordSutch wrote: »
    Is this about a good Jeep or a good 4X4.

You mean Jeep as in the brand? Sorry but I allways refer to 4x4's/pickups as Jeeps :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/2390128

not a bad bus for the moneys. commercial too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

they are a bad bus actually nissan had recalls on them for serious engine work buying one that old could cost you alot in the long run. i would agree with a vitara . remember x trail are 2.2 and road tax would be saucy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

Used a discovery 3 for years and it was nothing but trouble and would get stuck everywhere I went. Got rid of it and got a car-stupidly. After a while of wrecking the car I decided to get a jeep for shooting and it will come in handy when the snow returns- so after looking around decided on either a defender or a pajero. The defenders look the part but were uncomfortable as the seating position is notoriously awkward and the only extra available is the steering wheel. Ended up getting a jap import pajero as it has a lot of extras you dont get in an Irish model and I'm delighted with it- it has aircon sunroof all elecs etc and it's commercial. You can pick them up handy enough- just make sure the head gasket it good- that was the advice given to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

i was always told a nissan patrol is the king of the 4x4s always noticed you never see them in scrap yards

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

Glensman wrote: »
    Nissan X-trail- might be tight getting one on that budget though...

Plenty of them on donedeal for aroung 4g

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

View2-7946794.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2531663

one of these bad boys would do. Also can be ran on LPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

That's.......slightly outside my range spunk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

i've got a navara, nothing bad to say about it, although i haven't taking it major off road, its the new model, but the older ones are solid too

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭50cal

Nothing lasts like a Landcruiser. Great balance between reliability , 4x4 ability and comfort.
    Assuming you can stomach the private road tax! or indeed tax a commercial version successfully!?

charlie10 wrote: »
    they are a bad bus actually nissan had recalls on them for serious engine work buying one that old could cost you alot in the long run. i would agree with a vitara . remember x trail are 2.2 and road tax would be saucy

They're a great bus in 2.0 which most of them are.
    The 2.2 was/is a pig though- awful engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭50cal

They're a great bus in 2.0 which most of them are.
    The 2.2 was/is a pig though- awful engine.

+1
    The 2.2 X-trail diesel engine was made from chocolate and will not do the miles.You would be best advised to buy a Rav4 if your looking at small 4wd's.They may be a little richer to buy but they last and the D4D diesel is good for miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

+1 for steering clear of the nissan nevaras. They aren't the best. A land cruiser would be excellent but you'll have trouble finding a good one at that price.

Just be aware that most of these have large engines so you have to factor in a significant increase in the amount of juice you'll need and higher tax; especially if your used to a fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Mk5 Toyota Hilux crewcab. Mechanically not too complicated,2.5 D4D engine. Pretty unburstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Discovery the 300TDI in good nick is a whole lot of jeep for the money. Every thing can be unbolted and replaced if you need to and parts are dirt cheap.

http://www.paddockspares.com/parts-and-accessories/land-rover-discovery-2.html

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

2nd vote for a 300 disco only downside is 930 tax for the car version :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

Toyota and LandRover buy either thats it enough said

Toyota and LandRover buy either thats it enough said

Never seen someone recommend a Land Rover and a Toyota in the same sentence!

Most people who have owned a Toyota would never go near a Land Rover.
    Land Rover users are people who have never been exposed to a decent 4x4 :p;):D

I have a Daihatsu Fourtrak. Unbelievably reliable and rubust-Very capable off-road. But from the OP's requirements I assume they're after somethins more car-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

Never seen someone recommend a Land Rover and a Toyota in the same sentence!

Most people who have owned a Toyota would never go near a Land Rover.
    Land Rover users are people who have never been exposed to a decent 4x4 :p;):D

I have a Daihatsu Fourtrak. Unbelievably reliable and rubust-Very capable off-road. But from the OP's requirements I assume they're after somethins more car-y.

and you drive a Daihatsu Fourtrak :D:D:D:D ,
    i have had both toyotas and landrovers and i can say both preformed very well ,with both having good and bad points about each other

and you drive a Daihatsu Fourtrak :D:D:D:D ,
    i have had both toyotas and landrovers and i can say both preformed very well ,with both having good and bad points about each other

It's a bit like a land-rover.
    Only it's reliable, has a chassis that didn't start rusting before it left the factory and it can actually hold someone of my [cough] build.

Land-rovers are So small inside they had to put the key on the left so you could close the door!!

I forgot to mention, the fourtrak has a heater that actually works and I don't have to wear ear defenders when I go over 40mph!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

you shouldn't sit in the glove box of the disco then!!!

theres more than enough room in the disco even for a man of my frame!!!!:o

you shouldn't sit in the glove box of the disco then!!!

theres more than enough room in the disco even for a man of my frame!!!!:o

I was comparing more to the Defender mate. I have no doubt the Disco would be roomy! It's near the size of a caravan :eek:

On a side note, it's not all bad. Land Rover Defenders *look* class.

It's a good thing Tack isn't here or he'd be argueing for that monster truck yoke he drives :rolleyes:

Has a big light-bar on the roof now- but much the same:

CIMG3178.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

My bit of advice:

I've had many types of jeeps, and every time I've gone to change I've said "I'll by a landcruiser this time", but always ended up buying something else, ie pajero, disco, defender, l200, vitara all of which had there flaws and all of which gave trouble to some extent. Finally, 2 years ago I decided to buy the landcruiser and I'll never buy anything else again. It's fantastic off road, a pleasure on road and hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. Old or new, landcruiser is your only man. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

From experiance of Landrovers and Range Rovers,thats from owning and driving various models over a decade plus....I'd rather walk!:(

I really dont know how they got this brilliant reputation,proably as there was nothing else on the market in the early 1950s..
    IMHO they are the biggest POS ever put together.Totally dated in design by now noisey,rattley and a steering better suited to a boat,designed by sadists for masochists,I am amazed the unsafe original Landrover design is still allowed to be produced and sold.There is absolutely NILL protection if it ends upside down,and rear face to face seats,with no belts:eek::eek:...Good job you can unbolt everything quickly..As you will spend loads of time under them than actually in them!! The 110 chasis rusted even in dry weather,and seems to have been made from the cheapest mild steel possible.The bulkhead is still rotting out in no time,ditto the door and window sills.

The Discovery...Lets not go there!! They seem to be the most common 4wds being towed away on flatbeds..Says it all.

Range Rover..Has got better granted over the years,[first gen was a total pig! ] but is now so overpriced,and still has stupid faults,like its air suspension lines being run over the exhaust system!!:rolleyes: any decent delux Jap will compete with it for efficency,comfort and still leave you a few quid to fill the tank.Give me a 1990's Toyota VX Amazon over 2 range rovers anyday.

Freelander...I drove one...once!:(

My rates are..
    Jeep Cherokee [the 90s model,not the bug eyed monstrosity of recent years] Two litre diesel, ok,4litre petrol [if you can afford the tax and petrol is brilliant]Small enough for round town work ,nice on road driver,average off roader.Put a 2in suspension lift kit in it[about 1000 USD all in] and a decent set of tyres and it becomes an exellent off roader.
    Can be modified as you please with plenty of cheap US imported parts.
    If it hasnt been abused ,farmerised,or driven into the ground.Its a fine wagon.

Pajero
    bought recently a 1995 Shogun/ Pajero to replace my Cherokee..Am kicking myself as to why I didnt do this sooner!Comfortable as Hell,a miser on fuel,cheap enough parts even from the UK at STg prices.Exellent off roader.Cant say much else as I havent had it long enough to give an honest opinion.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

people buy land rovers because they can actually get where they need to off road and they are easy to work on when they break and the parts are peanuts
    anyone who bought a cherokee diesel should have their head examined that vm diesel was the biggest pos ever produced

Advertisement