Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good Jeep/off road/ also around town car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

landkeeper wrote: »
    people buy land rovers because they can actually get where they need to off road and they are easy to work on when they break and the parts are peanuts
    anyone who bought a cherokee diesel should have their head examined that vm diesel was the biggest pos ever produced

Other people avoid Landrovers because they have better things to do than constantly fix their jeep- no matter how easy it is to work on!

(I don't like Cherokees either)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

People who KNOW Cherokees go and buy the 4litre petrol engine[if they can afford it] and convert it to LPG ..And simply drive ,and keep driving.
    Parts are about the same as LR in price,but one most important difference is when you fix somthing on a Cherokee,it stays fixed!! A LR ,the same thing might go two days,or 2 weeks later on a landrover.
    Not to mind a Jap or Cherokee comes with lots of things as standard,that you STILL have to buy as optional accessorys from Landrover!!
    Like a radio!!Last time I looked that was still an optional extra..Not that you could hear it anyway with the engine and road noise.:eek:

Yes the VM diesel was a POS, IF it was one of the Fiat units.Nuff said!!

If I want somthing that will go forever if looked after properly,is twice as resillient,will go places a Landrover will puke on,can plough a field,and power anything with a PTO[Somthing LR used to do and offer.And has somwhat more creature comforts than a Landrover.Like a working heater.

That vechicle is a Mercedes Unimog or the Mercedes Gwagon!! Unfortunatly rather expensive the unimog,and you have to be a Rap singer[???] or drug dealer to be able to afford a G wagon these days..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

unimog vrs landrover :rolleyes: ah come on grizzly hardly a comparison is it i'll raise you a argocat that'll put a mog to shame on most offroad terrain but it's hardly practical either is it
    like all mechanical things its down to maintenance if you look after it it'll look after you , i have a discovery amongst my landrovers its the everyday car its done 50 something k in the last 3 years has never broken down or left me walking and it gets dogs abuse a neighbour has a 95 discovery with over 375k on it and that has treated him in a similar fashion
    you'd look a proper pillock round here with a lpg vehicle there is no-where within 25 miles to fill it any more and try taxing that privately :eek: or selling it on lol

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

My regular shooting buddy recently sold his swb shogun(96 model) and bought a 06 pajero sport, and hasn't stopped kicking himself since! That old wagon got us to SO many places that even a tractor wouldn't bring you. The new one is good but the old one was unreal off road, not too thirsty, comfy on long drives and we pulled many a landy out of the ditch! I would buy one in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Has anyone on hear got an L200 (The older model pre '07) - I am looking for a pickup and especially like the look of the warrior model , Budget €5000 max

How are they on juice,reliability, off road ,On road:D

Are they any good or any pitfalls I should look for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

ROSSKI wrote: »
    Has anyone on hear got an L200 (The older model pre '07) - I am looking for a pickup and especially like the look of the warrior model , Budget €5000 max

I have a 98 l200 and love it, its a crewcab as everyone knows and ideal as i shoot deer and it keeps the smells out of the cabin,its also brill for the dogs, ive a ARB winch bumper at the front and a heavy rear bumper, KUMO mud tyres so it known as the tank around here, I had the SWB Pajero also brill but easy to turn over and bounces like buck a ru on a bad road (all swb suffer this).
    But the L200 or the Pajero never broke down, drink the same amount of juice which is a little more than other 4x4s but they are heavier (made from good stuff not like the Landy) little to no rust, lot more cozy than my d22 Navara, (seats are to low for my legs and i'm 5'10"), dont know of any pit falls realy.........?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

I have a 98 l200 and love it, its a crewcab as everyone knows and ideal as i shoot deer and it keeps the smells out of the cabin,its also brill for the dogs, ive a ARB winch bumper at the front and a heavy rear bumper, KUMO mud tyres so it known as the tank around here, I had the SWB Pajero also brill but easy to turn over and bounces like buck a ru on a bad road (all swb suffer this).
    But the L200 or the Pajero never broke down, drink the same amount of juice which is a little more than other 4x4s but they are heavier (made from good stuff not like the Landy) little to no rust, lot more cozy than my d22 Navara, (seats are to low for my legs and i'm 5'10"), dont know of any pit falls realy.........?

Good man thanks -Just what I wanted to hear - Now all I have to do is sell the quad;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭BigBoi83

ROSSKI wrote: »

I have an 05 warrior and its great so far, as said earlier it kinda heavy on juice but its a heavy machine...havent really challenged it off road as yet but i love it. it can be a little bouncy though when driving country roads..

My first jeep/pick up so i couldnt compare it to others

unimog vrs landrover :rolleyes: ah come on grizzly hardly a comparison

Beg to differ LK.They are about the same vintage.[original design1948and 1950]No I'm not talking about the modern 120Kplus modern Mog yokes.:)
    Their design concept was 100 the same ,a do anything[literaly] on or off road vechicle that could plough a field and then deliver the farmer with his produce to the market.Landrover got theirs out first.Mercedes just built a more reliable and practical design:p
    Practical,well if you dont intend to go over 50mph,either will do it.
    Price, a Landrover IS cheaper ,but will be scrap while the Mog is getting its second wind.
    like all mechanical things its down to maintenance if you look after it it'll look after you ,
    I rebuilt the 110 from the chassis up,as I couldnt afford a galvanised one.It just never stopped rusting!Even after being waxoled..Ditto new outriggers,bulkhead,the engine [2.3 diesel] was the lamest,mankiest POS ever built!!You said the cherokee diesel was bad????This was utter junk!!!No power at all worth mentioning blew its lifters,timing belt,and head in that order in four months flat,despite being serviced by a qualified Landrover garage..Lets not go there about LRs absolutely CRAP after sales service in the ROI. fuel pump seals were a weekly replacement job.
    The fuel tank must have been built from paper mache it leaked so often,and wasnt helped by the retarded side fuel sensor and outlet pipe design.Compared to the first one I had a SWB seris 2a,[which was my first ever car] It was a complete lemon.
    That one while noisey,smelly rattley diesely and wobbly,did in fairness teach a 19 year old Grizzly alot about off roading and car mechanics,as this was another one I virtually rebuilt with a HAMES manual for assistance.:rolleyes:
    Sorry,25 years on I've got better things to do with my life than spend every waking hour under my 4wd fixing this or replacing that on a daily basis.Well aware about looking after equipment as I had to rebuild mostly 3rd hand POS machinery all my life here,and pray that it would keep going.:):rolleyes:
    i have a discovery amongst my landrovers its the everyday car its done 50 something k in the last 3 years has never broken down or left me walking and it gets dogs abuse a neighbour has a 95 discovery with over 375k on it and that has treated him in a similar fashion

:eek:The two of ye must be the most luckiest owners then,When those two Discos rolled offf the Solihull line in Brummie everyone must have been sober,in a good mood and paid up,or there was divine intervention that day.
    I drove one once for a month and was only too happy to get out of it at the end.Nothing,but nothing worked properly in that thing.The doors had gaps you could waggle your finger thru[and that was with every RR I had too].Electric windows ,blew fuses about once every other day.Gearbox sounded like a beaten dog.Fuel and oil leaks in the crankshaft pully,gear box rear diff seals.
    Anyone that I have ever talked to who had any Landrover say the same thing..
    The two happiest days anyone has with a Landrover is the day you buy it and the second is the day you sell it! I'm inclined from personal experiance too to belive them!
    you'd look a proper pillock round here with a lpg vehicle there is no-where within 25 miles to fill it any more and try taxing that privately :eek: or selling it on lol
    Give it time LK.The LPG WILL make a comback here too.
    TBH if anyone had a decent 4litre ,for the amount of driving I do..I'd have one again no problem,and 500 quid for a vechicle,about going rate isnt bad.If you arent doing massive mileage ,or want it for a winter vechicle of four months..As most do..Cant ask for cheaper.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

lol they say a land rover never dies but it will always be sick ;)
    horses for courses if they are so bad then i wonder why there have so many built and sold on every continent in the world

• Advertisement

lol they say a land rover never dies but it will always be sick ;)
    horses for courses if they are so bad then i wonder why there have so many built and sold on every continent in the world

I wonder the Very same thing, Every day!!!

It'll have to be chalked down to one of life's great mysteries- because it certainly aint down to them being any good! :p

yeah i suppose that over a million vehicle sales would indicate that all-right and that supposedly 70% of those built are still in use :cool:

yeah i suppose that over a million vehicle sales would indicate that all-right and that supposedly 70% of those built are still in use :cool:

and I would say that 80% of the 70% still in use have had a new chassis and the other 20% need a new chassis!

When you look at it. They're engines were/are powerful- but unreliable. The chassis is a disgrace so that only leaves the body and drive train.

I'll give you the drive-train, but although the body didn't rust- it is/was noisy, cold and would shake the bones out of you.

Coupled to the fact that they have an almost fanatical following which inflates prices, they are also bad value... Say in comparison to a LandCruiser.

Maybe because up to the 1980s there WAS nothing to challange it properly.When Toyota,Mitzi and Nissan got going,it ate into LR worldwide dominance.LR just would not move with the times [like most UK products post 1945] and lost its pole position in the World markets.
    Possibly 70% might be still going..But do they stop when they need to??
    That was another horror I had a seris3 LWB,the brakes in it were somthing terrible and would break your heart to try and sort out.:(

Glensman even the body rots out especially the forward bulkhead,as it is a mix of steel and Birmabright[LR answer to aluminium].I reckon it is caused by some sort of static electrical discharge or that there are no sacrifical anodes to prevent corrision.But once that starts to go.You are looking at serious repair and replacement downtime.

lads you need to start a 'we hate landrover 'club :D
    grizzly you are moaning and complaing about a car that has not been made since 1983 there are thousands of them still in everyday how many of the 1970s/80s cruisers fourtracks and suchlike are on the road i had a 70s series cruiser for a a while it drank diesel and was the most bumpy uncomfortable 4wd i have ever had , i had a 80 series cruiser that was great mechanically but like every one of the jap yokes it dissolved with the irish climate far quicker than any land rover and when it had got to that point it was unrepairable
    the fanatical following for land rover comes from the fact that you can use , repair, rebuild , cheaply easily and with very few special tools you can buy easily any part you need or want from a complete chassis to new engine gearbox with one phone call they are simple machines that attract because of that fact
    go and find me any 70s 80s 90s 4wd that has the same appeal or following with the exception of a jeepcj you won't
    a land rover is the remington 700 of the 4 wheel drive world

grizzly you are moaning and complaing about a car that has not been made since 1983 there are thousands of them still in everyday how many of the 1970s/80s cruisers fourtracks and suchlike are on the road i had a 70s series cruiser for a a while it drank diesel and was the most bumpy uncomfortable 4wd i have ever had , i had a 80 series cruiser that was great mechanically but like every one of the jap yokes it dissolved with the irish climate far quicker than any land rover and when it had got to that point it was unrepairable
    the fanatical following for land rover comes from the fact that you can use , repair, rebuild , cheaply easily and with very few special tools you can buy easily any part you need or want from a complete chassis to new engine gearbox with one phone call they are simple machines that attract because of that fact
    go and find me any 70s 80s 90s 4wd that has the same appeal or following with the exception of a jeepcj you won't
    a land rover is the remington 700 of the 4 wheel drive world

I better wax-oil my 700 Quick!!! :eek:

grizzly you are moaning and complaing about a car that has not been made since 1983
    EH???? lost me there LK.:confused:

there are thousands of them still in everyday how many of the 1970s/80s cruisers fourtracks and suchlike are on the road i had a 70s series cruiser for a a while it drank diesel and was the most bumpy uncomfortable 4wd i have ever had , i had a 80 series cruiser that was great mechanically but like every one of the jap yokes it dissolved with the irish climate far quicker than any land rover and when it had got to that point it was unrepairable

Not many granted..But that was 20 years ago too.They have managed to make steel that is abit harder than chocolate now.:D

Ah You must be as J Clarkson describes Landrover enthaustists One of the wide bottomed,large, bearded hairy people who have an alarming collection of very large knives who enjoy getting themselves stuck in awkward and muddy places for the weekend! Or somthing to that effect.:D:D
    Horses for courses
    If they crank your crank.Good stuff.They used to,for a short while, do things for me too[more negative than positive things that is:eek:]
    But like a first love and other things in life,I just grew out of them,as there were better options I think out there.

Not here in IRL,but certainly the US,the old FJ40 is still a prized possession especially the fibreglass body ones. The Chevvy Blazer[proably the US answer to the Range Rover],international harvester Scout,the Ford Bronco old model.The Hilux PU in all its shapes inc 1st Gen surf over here .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Folks, for what it's worth. I can't find much wrong with my ten year old mazda b2500 ( identical to Ford Ranger ). Quite comfortable on road, not too bad off road and it will carry or tow a load no bother. The only thing I ever changed are the leaf springs and that's after hauling tons and tons of firewood and god knows what the previous owner done with it.

It needs a bit of work on the front suspension now as well but after 115k miles and by the looks of it all original bits still in place that's only normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Personally I just have a soft spot for the Defender. I think it's something I will definitely own at least once in my life.... so be it if it is a bit thirsty, suffers the occasional "illness".... I think I'll still bite the bullet so to speak and just go for one. Like I say... need to do it once at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Had a Series 2A up to about 2003. Bought it for drinking money. Physically, I replaced the fuel tank outriggers and the rear crossmember. I am not too bad with a welder. Gave the engine some TLC, A 2.25 PETROL very thirsty. I replaced all brake cylinders and drums and fitted a servo from a Series 3.

Without too longwinded of a story, it was the most fun vehicle, most uncomfortable vehicle I had. The only reliability issue I had was the **** gearboxes on the series models.

I would definitely get another. Now wheres me anorak? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

10012010359.jpg39 years old and still going strong.
    table%3E

Without too longwinded of a story, it was the most fun vehicle, most uncomfortable vehicle I had. The only reliability issue I had was the **** gearboxes on the series models.

Was that the seris 2a with the 1st and 2nd gear non synchro gearbox???:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Yeah, that was the one. It was grand once you got used to it. I even fitted an overdrive. The box was quite noisy though and I fitted a Series 3 box. What a mistake. Mine was a 1971 and the smiths heater was great. I used to off road as a bit of a hobby, and this Landrover brought me places I could,nt even walk.

Oh you of much wealth!!!You had an overdrive!!:p
    1972 SWB,that got me up and back to Ag college in Tipp and then a weekly commute up and down to Dublin to an ANCO course.[That long ago!!:eek:],and did my driving test in it too.It was so bad in comfort the tester wanted to head back after 10mins,his words were "Those seats would cut the arse off you!!Heres your liscense!!" :D
    In between doing that I rebuilt/replaced just about everything on it bar the engine,axles and chassis.So yes it is a great first vechicle to teach young fellahs mechanics,and proably not kill themselves by speeding,and you have a good chance of survivin an impact.If no pointy bits hit you in the cab...But after 15 years of Landrover products,I think I've done my time!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

only jeep to buy is a SWB shogun or pajero 3.2 DID they are bullet proof and go everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

Landcruiser would be the first choice, following by the Pajero.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

land cruiser is to sore on juice and cannot pull the same as a shogun i mean the 04-05 models. although i will admit the landcruiser would be my second

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

agreed ferrete, but OP is looking sub 4K purchace price, so rolling back the years to 99 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Any of these would definitely suit your needs

2003 Toyota Rav Petrol 4X4

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2563828

2003 Toyota Rav Petrol 4X4

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2487261

2002 Nissan X-Trail Petrol 4X4

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2591754

2003 Nissan X-Trail Diesel 4X4

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2618005

I've a petrol X Trail myself & can't fault it......good m.p.g., drives like a car, good family runabout, great boot, reliable, parts reasonable & very roomy and comfortable inside. If I could find a fault with the X-Trail it would be that the heater can take a while to heat up & not as good as other heaters in very cold weather.

I had a Honda CRV before it and also couldn't fault it....but they are dearer second-hand for same year than the two above models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

One thing overlooked appears to be tyre's, regardless of which you favor, you are going nowhere off road without decent tyre's. Learned this the hard way.
    moby30 wrote: »
    Used a discovery 3 for years and it was nothing but trouble and would get stuck everywhere I went.

One issue with the Disco 3 was the poor choice of tyres available for the 17" wheels which most were sold with in Ireland (could not find a single dealer stocking an AT tyre for these in Ireland, road orientated tyres only). Changed mine to 18"s (greater tyre choice) and now will go everywhere the Defender would with MT tyres
    ie. miles beyond where those with Jap vehicles got stuck or were scared to even try to go in the first place.

Nothing against Jap vehicles but they are are made for wee small people and at 100 and never mind kg's just don't suit me. They also cost a fortune in regular service parts, never mind custom accessories.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement