Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting and BER rating

Options
  • 19-10-2011 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just looking for a bit of advice. Our lease is up soon and today there was a man in giving the house a BER rating as a new boiler has been installed. When he finished he said it would either be F or G rating. Does BER rating usually affect the renting price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

An F or G rating is dreadful, do you really want to live there, even with a lower rent? Your heating bills must be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is a really terrible way to calculate costs. The BER is a pretty bad system. As of yet I don't think it is really effecting rent.

Bare in mind you can get a high rating with electric storage heaters but they are notoriously expensive to run and not very flexible.

It really depends on the size of the place you are renting too. A rating on a large place will cost more than a smaller place with a G rating.

Don't just read the letter look at the who cert which expplains the detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As an example of 2010 estimated costs of heating an average sized 2 bed apartment and a 3 bed house with typical occupancy and heating the dwelling to a comfortable level:

Ber rating... 2 bed Apt.... 3 bed House.
    G ......... 2,400......... 3,100.
    F.......... 1,900......... 2,500.
    E1........ 1,400.......... 1,800.
    D1........ 1,000.......... 1,400.
    C1........... 600............. 900.
    B1........... 340............. 460.
    Unfortunately, I can't work out how to format columns on the board, so apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

Thanks for the replies. Yep our bill was huge last winter! And we don't have a gas fire or storage heaters. I'm not sure what to do- I was thinking of seeing if he would lower the rent because of the rating but I don't want to come across as cheeky. I don't want to move as I love the house and I love the area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

pinky 06 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Yep our bill was huge last winter! And we don't have a gas fire or storage heaters. I'm not sure what to do- I was thinking of seeing if he would lower the rent because of the rating but I don't want to come across as cheeky. I don't want to move as I love the house and I love the area :)

If you like the house and area then asak for a reduction if you dont ask you wont get.
    You definately wont be sounding cheeky.
    Tell the landlord you heating bills were huge last year and now you now why.
    You sound like a tennent he will want to keep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement