Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Ice-Cream

Options
  • 19-10-2011 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Is home made ice-cream difficult to make? And more importantly is home made chocolate ice-cream difficult to make?

Could be very dangerous though aquiring the powers of ice-cream making!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's very easy to make, you usually make a custard and this is where it can get tricky but it's not really and there are lots of ice cream recipes where you don't have to make a custard. Check out you tube for videos that'll show you step by step. It's dead easy, greatest thing is that you can add your own crunchie bits the only one I really make is a chocolate ice cream and then pile a load of crushed Oreos into it it's so yum.

You don't need an ice cream maker really though. But if you don't fancy having to take the ice cream out a couple of times to crush it while it's freezing then it might be worth getting. Perhaps try making it by hand a few times first then you'll see whether it's worth the investment.

For me the most boring bit is making the custard and you'd usually have to do that before you put it into the ice cream maker anyway afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

It's very easy to make, you usually make a custard and this is where it can get tricky but it's not really and there are lots of ice cream recipes where you don't have to make a custard. Check out you tube for videos that'll show you step by step. It's dead easy, greatest thing is that you can add your own crunchie bits the only one I really make is a chocolate ice cream and then pile a load of crushed Oreos into it it's so yum.

You don't need an ice cream maker really though. But if you don't fancy having to take the ice cream out a couple of times to crush it while it's freezing then it might be worth getting. Perhaps try making it by hand a few times first then you'll see whether it's worth the investment.

For me the most boring bit is making the custard and you'd usually have to do that before you put it into the ice cream maker anyway afaik.

That's mighty Sigma Force, thanks. Yea, I'll hold back on the ice cream machine for the time been and see how I get on. A custard eh? As in the Birds type? Is it nicer made with a custard?

Jesus that sounds lovely with the Oreos...ya could really go all Ben and Jerry's on it so!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You make the custard from scratch with egg yolks etc. I'll post the recipe I use tomorow. You can put anything you like in it, mini marshmallows, bashed up crunchie bars, anything you see on a ben n jerrys or haagen dasz (sp?) you can make tastes better too and if you eventually get in to it you can make bigger amounts and use the basic ice cream to make up different batches of flavours.

If you want to be extra naughty you could make Nigellas peanut butter fudge sauce to go with it's heart attack good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

You make the custard from scratch with egg yolks etc. I'll post the recipe I use tomorow. You can put anything you like in it, mini marshmallows, bashed up crunchie bars, anything you see on a ben n jerrys or haagen dasz (sp?) you can make tastes better too and if you eventually get in to it you can make bigger amounts and use the basic ice cream to make up different batches of flavours.

If you want to be extra naughty you could make Nigellas peanut butter fudge sauce to go with it's heart attack good.

Deedly, cheers. Looking forward to attempting some of this over the weekend!
    The possibilities are limitless!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

I made ice cream for the first time this summer using one of David Lebovitz's recipes for vanilla ice cream, you make the whole thing from scratch, but it's pretty easy. I made it without the ice cream maker, I just freezed it in a metallic jug and stirred it every few hours. Recipe's here http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/02/vanilla-ice-cream/

He has some amazing ice cream and sorbet recipes that I'd love to try http://www.davidlebovitz.com/category/recipes/ice-creams-and-sorbets/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can put anything you like in it, mini marshmallows, bashed up crunchie bars, anything you see on a ben n jerrys or haagen dasz.
    I do this with plain old store bought ice cream, walls is €2 for 2L in tesco at the moment. Just crush up stuff and mix it in, I much prefer it since the biscuits/bars are at room temp so are easier to bite. Bourbons work well, and chopped up bounties, peanut butter is next on my list to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Years ago My MIL used to give me tons of blackcurrants, so after I'd made lots of jam I had plenty left to make blackcurrant ice-cream. You are absolutely correct, it is a dangerous thing to do (drool drool!) so I had to give up making ice cream. But it was goooorgeouss!! I never owned an ice cream maker, the cookery books had the recipes before ice cream makers were invented and it always turned out lovely! I don't fill up the kitchen cupboards with any more gadgets, most of which are unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I got a present of an icecream maker, ooooh nom nom nom .

Advertisement