Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great sporting moments: heroism & tragedy (Contains graphic images)*Don't quote pics*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

6th May 1954 - Roger Bannister breaks the sub 4 minute mile.

RBannister.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Love how the guy on the line with the bell has a pipe in his mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Gerhard Berger driving for Ferrari at the San Marino GP in 1989. Gerhard's car suffered mechanical failure and at a speed of around 180mph, his car crashed into the wall at the Tamburello and it burst into flames.

E5KR8kufFWU2w.jpg

1989-berger_imo.jpg

It took 16 seconds for the marshalls to get to Gerhard's car, and a further 10 seconds to put out the fire.

Gerhard survived the crash with burns and broken ribs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

Mod Note: Not exactly what we're looking for in this thread. It's about historically great or significant sporting events/moments. Please PM me (Penn) if you have any queries about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

He's back....
    387873_10150491260044384_406433779383_10699997_1783308515_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

PomBear wrote: »
    He's back....
    WWE picture

That was indeed a great sporting moment when the writers wrote The Rock back into the script :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The 1919 American League champions, the Chicago White Sox.
    1919_blacksox.jpg

Eight players, dubbed the "Black Sox", would later be accused of conspiring with gamblers to throw that years World Series against the Cincinnati Reds.
    Eight_men_banned.png?format=jpg

The White Sox would have to wait another 40 years to play in a world series, which the lost 4-2 against the now Los Angeles Dodgers in 1959.
    sp_smith.jpg

It would take 46 more years for the White Sox to return to the World Series in 2005. On this occassion the White Sox swept the Heuston Astros 4-0 the win the World Series for the first time since 1917, an 88 year drought.
    2005worldseries.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

Ali lights the Olympic flame

42452521_aliflame416-ap_.jpg

At last he emerged from the background. A body weathered by Parkinson’s but the mind astute as ever. Shivering he lit the flame. No other sportsman in the history of sport had meant so much to so many as Muhammad Ali. For the dignity of the man was consummate – never relinquishing ideals for money or fame, Ali was the people’s champion – the underdog in sport and life. “They didn’t tell me who would light the flame, but when I saw it was you, I cried” said Bill Clinton. He wasn’t the only one.

Luz Long and Jesse Owens embrace in Berlin

lutz-long-and-jesse-owens-001.jpg

In full view of the Fuhrer, a nineteen year old German athlete gave Jesse Owens some advice – ‘play it safe, make your mark several inches before the takeoff board and jump from there.’ Owens, the grandson of a slave and the son of a sharecropper took the advice, qualified for the finals and took his tally of gold medals to four. The first to congratulate him was Luz Long. “It took a lot of courage for him to befriend me in front of Hitler… You can melt down all the medals and cups I have and they wouldn’t be a plating on the twenty-four carat friendship that I felt for Luz Long at that moment,” he said, recounting his rendezvous with the blue eyed German but for all his heroics, Jesse had to take the freight elevator in the Waldorf Astoria to attend his own reception.

Lou Gehrig, "The Iron Horse", makes an emotional farewell to fans in Yankee Stadium 1939. Diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis he would be dead within 2 years.

6369135.jpg

Such was the respect for Gehrig his position as Yankee captain was left vacant until Thurman Munson in 1976.
    thurman-munson.jpg

Considered by many to be the epitome of a Yankee player, Thurm himself died in a plane accident in 1979. His locker, Number 15, at Yankee Stadium was never used by anyone else.
    SOYMunson.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Porter intercepts Manning and scores a touchdown to seal the New Orleans Saints Super Bowl victory, Manning looks on hapless on the ground. Happiest sporting moment of my life.

000.interception.oprf-9250-mid.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

Bob Champion winning the 1981 Grand National on Aldaniti.

00001F37-926A-1E95-B25F80C328EC0000.jpg

Bob was diagnosed with cancer a few years before was told he only had 8 months to live but he never gave in, Aldaniti suffered several bad leg injuries and looked like he would never reach his true potential. In both of them the will to win was found and is one of sports true success stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hickstead2.jpg

Not sure if done but Hickstead was a 15 year old stallion ridden by Eric Lamaze who died in November after completing at the FEI World Cup qualifier. He was the most famous show-jumping horse and was the Shergar of the show-jumping world. It was a great loss to the equestrian community.

Video Quite disturbing. Mods, feel free to remove if inappropriate:

The Long Count.

Jack Dempsey floors the champ Gene Tunney in round 7 at Soldier Field, Chicago in 1927. Mistakenly, Dempsey fails to stand at a neutral corner. The ref does not start to count Tunney out until Dempsey complies with this new rule. The extra 5 seconds allows Tunney to regain his composure and eventually win on points.

Long+Count.jpg

It's hard to quantify today just how big a deal this was at the time and continued to be a source of argument for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Mark Webber's team radio after (finally) winning his first grand prix after so much bad luck throughout his career. Can't recall hearing a team radio this emotional.

And this image says a lot about Group B rallying.
    It was fcuking mental.
    sport7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jazzbo

Tetsuya Ota hard Ferrari crash. The guy survived the fiery wreckage, no thanks to the race marshals. A greater show of incompetence you will struggle to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

jazzbo wrote: »
    Tetsuya Ota hard Ferrari crash. The guy survived the fiery wreckage, no thanks to the race marshals. A greater show of incompetence you will struggle to find.

Yeah I remember reading about that. Firstly, the safety car was going way to fast in those conditions and then suddenly slowed down which caused the drivers to skid off the track. Another driver pulled up and used his fire extinguisher before the marshals even got to the wreck. When the marshal pulled him out of the car and lay him on the ground, the melted helmet visor slumped down onto his face which caused severe burns. Also the marshals put the driver into a minivan rather than an ambulance. He sued the track and race organisers afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Might seem a bit self serving to have a Clare provincial title BUT, the footballers winning in 92 led to an increase in focus for the hurlers which led to the Junior team to win in 93, which led to the seniors winning the Munster title in '95 which continued a transformation in hurling and helped the evolution in the game to where we are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭macfhinn

_57890501_57889863.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Jochen_Rindt_300.jpg

Jochen Rindt. Won the F1 World Championship in 1970, despite being killed at Monza. He was so far ahead in the championship, that noone could overcome him by season end.

Rindt had shown up at the Italian GP, expecting to be driving Lotus's older (and Rindt's more favoured chassis) the Lotus 49. Instead, Colin Chapman had gone against Rindt's wishes and only brought the newer, less stable and refined Lotus 72. Chapman gave Rindt an ultimatum...drive the 72, or don't drive, and risk losing the championship. Rindt chose to drive, and in practise, under braking for the Parabolica, the car snapped left, head on into the barriers. Rindt had failed to secure himself properly and was thrown down into the car. He was given the last rites at the crash site, but it is unclear whether he died on impact or lying at trackside.

The man never got to see the trophy he would ultimately win, and his Finnish supermodel wife Nina would never marry again, saying that no man could ever replace him.

crash2.jpg
    05_585.jpg
    Crash-Rindt.jpg
    P5120031.jpg
    300px-Copa_de_Campe%C3%B3n_del_mundo_de_F1_02.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I missed it by a few hours but yesterday Muhammad Ali turned 70.

I could honestly post 40 pictures here of The Greatest but I won't. I'll keep it to the main events in his life and some pictures that I like of him.

I'll start with probably the most famous of all the photos of him. The caption in the picture says it all "Muhammad Ali v. Sonny Liston, First Minute, First Round"

250e3-FIRST-MINUTE-FRIST-ROUND.jpg

One of the many controversial things he did through out his life was to convert to Islam. Here he is photographed with Malcolm X, who was a great friend of Muhammad's. Years later Malcolm X left the Nation of Islam and Ali refused to talk to him I think. Soon after that Malcolm X was assassinated.

malcom_x__muhammad_ali.jpg

In '67 he refused to be inducted into the Army to go and fight in Vietnam.
    No, I am not going 10,000 miles to help murder, kill, and burn other people to simply help continue the domination of white slavemasters over dark people the world over. This is the day and age when such evil injustice must come to an end.

This stance led to him being suspended from boxing for 3 years, right at the peak of his powers. It also resulted in a Supreme Court case being brought against. As the trial continued public support for Ali was growing and he was eventually found not guilty of the charges regarding the refusal to fight in the war.

0428muhammadaliB.jpg

This is my favourite picture of him. 52 years ago Ali told Life magazine photographer Flip Schulke that he trained for fights by running and punching in the pool. It was a lie. It makes for a superb photograph though.

Anonymous-Muhammad-Ali---Underwater-413120.jpg

Here are two pictures of him about 40 years apart. In the second photo Ali is in the midst of his battle with Parkinson's but even still he is able to lift his fists up to recreate that infamous pose that so many in the world have tried to copy but none have ever managed to make it their own quite like the main man himself.

muhammad-ali-fist.jpg

1326811575-Muhammad-Ali.jpg

This is one of the most poignant videos I've seen on Youtube recently. It's the opening ceremony of the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. The Olympic flame had travelled all over America and now it was time to light the torch and open the games. No better man than Ali, a former gold medal winner, to light it. At this stage the Parkinson's had very much taken over his body but it was great to see him up there.

Happy birthday Champ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

2012, Bruno Senna joins William Renault F1, the team his uncle was driving for when he died in 1994,
    bruno_senna_joins_williams_for_2012_season_large_123457938.jpg

Bruno's crash helmet design is based on Ayrton's own bright yellow helmet,
    When being worn, one would almost believe Senna was back in a F1 car, the resemblance is striking, its in the eyes.
    Bruno:
    SennaBruno_Helmet_Cockpit.jpg
    Ayrton:
    SennaWithHelmet.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Ciaran Fitzgerald
    On a cold Dublin day in 1985, the Irish rugby team were playing England at Lansdowne Road. The country’s rugby team has traditionally played with a lot of pride and passion, but never had the quality to trouble the world’s best teams on a consistent basis (I am delighted to report that the situation is a little different today). This day they had the opportunity to win the “Triple Crown” by beating the old enemy (well everyone’s old enemy :-) ). It was a tough match and the English team clearly had the upper hand. In fact it was becoming apparent that once again Ireland would come so close, but fail and have to take some consolation in a moral victory.

As time ticked on, there was a break in the game, and the side’s captain, an army officer by the name of Ciaran Fitzgerald, turned to his tired, beaten team mates and roared at them words that have since become a national institution: “Where’s your f*****g pride?”. The words were caught on TV cameras around the ground and broadcast all over Europe.

It won’t be a surprise, given the title of this post, that his team rose to the occasion following his call to arms, drove down the field and a Michael Kiernan drop goal sent a success-starved nation into sporting euphoria.

189407.jpg

FITZGERALD_C_19830319_GH_L.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

70.000 people in stadium San Paolo in Naples shouting the name of Cavani after he scored one of the 2 winning goals against ManC last 22nd of November. That victory secured the 2nd place in the CL group, Napoli qualified for the next stage, 21 years after the last appearance with Maradona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

You really have to like these two videos, thomond park at 13,000 back then it was still as much a fortress as it is today

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I always find it funny how Munster sing a song that is about a place in Galway, not in Munster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always find it funny how Munster sing a song that is about a place in Galway, not in Munster.
    When the whole thing went professional and the provinces got more prominence over the clubs when a local song started off (e.g. Sean South, There is an Isle, The Banks) it was usually drowned out by boos from opposition supporters, The Fields were handy cause it wasn't aligned with any team and everyone knew the words.

This reminds me of 1 of a game years ago when we were playing WASPs (I think) in a group game and the stadium announcer came out with "We'd like to remind Young Munster supporters that Munster wear red", it's hard to believe that there used to be more people at club games than there would be at provincial games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

The Invincibles:
    invincibles2.jpg

A lot of F1 crashes in this thread but haven't seen this one:
    229666d1290977785-burned-alive-front-friend-world-20press-20photo_1973-20williamson-2073-201.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Morlar wrote: »
    “Where’s your f*****g pride?”

Thats always a big kick up the hole in the army when the going gets really tough, and you're starting to falter "“Where’s your fucking pride?”.

Or when I'm having a bad day in training or competition I'll remind myself “Where’s your fucking pride?”.

Advertisement