Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 and how to connect/ configure a wireless router.

Options
  • 19-10-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi to everyone, this is my very first time posting in this section. I am looking for advice and help please on how to get a Buffalo Nfiniti high power wireless-n router and access point, model number WHR-HP-G300N to connect. They have them on Pixmania. I was told by the man who did the line of sight of the white antenna box on the roof that any cable router would do the job. I am thinking that maybe a modem is needed also? I tried to connect it earlier but no joy. I have only used a DSL BT Voyager wireless system before. All we were supplied with was the carrier POE adapter which obviously we have been using for over a week but we only have one connection and my partner, she is getting very annoyed. There is no information of what equipment to buy or how to get it to work on the site. I tried to talk to someone earlier in technical support about what equipment would be needed and whether what I had would suffice and some help in setting it up but no one was available. They never rang back at all today. I also bought a Linksys PAP2T-EU phone adapter. smile.gif
    It should say router in the title. If I need to buy a modem to get the above Buffalo router to work, what type exactly do I need? It is a fixed access wired system that Net1 use I believe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

FREETV wrote: »
    Hi to everyone, this is my very first time posting in this section. I am looking for advice and help please on how to get a Buffalo Nfiniti high power wireless-n router and access point, model number WHR-HP-G300N to connect. They have them on Pixmania. I was told by the man who did the line of sight of the white antenna box on the roof that any cable router would do the job. I am thinking that maybe a modem is needed also? I tried to connect it earlier but no joy. I have only used a DSL BT Voyager wireless system before. All we were supplied with was the carrier POE adapter which obviously we have been using for over a week but we only have one connection and my partner, she is getting very annoyed. There is no information of what equipment to buy or how to get it to work on the site. I tried to talk to someone earlier in technical support about what equipment would be needed and whether what I had would suffice and some help in setting it up but no one was available. They never rang back at all today. I also bought a Linksys PAP2T-EU phone adapter. smile.gif
    It should say router in the title. If I need to buy a modem to get the above Buffalo router to work, what type exactly do I need? It is a fixed access wired system that Net1 use I believe.

I'm guessing you have some kind of wireless broadband (white antenna on roof) and that you want to connect it to a WiFi so it can be shared by multiple users? Is that the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

swampgas wrote: »
    I'm guessing you have some kind of wireless broadband (white antenna on roof) and that you want to connect it to a WiFi so it can be shared by multiple users? Is that the case?
    Yes that is correct, they call it fixed wireless access on their site. www.net1.ie I hope that you may be able to help us, thanks swampgas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Hi Freetv,
    it should be a simple enough procedure.
    Connect the cable that comes from the antenna on the roof directly into the WAN port on the Buffalo router (not sure i you already have the router or are planning on ordering it).

You only need 1 router to sit between the antenna and all of your machines, just make sure it has 1 WAN (Internet) port and not a dsl connection (phone cable).

Connect the PC to one of the 4 LAN ports and follow the setup guide supplied (If there is a setup wizard it will probably recognise the setup and connect automatically).

I am downloading the manual for the buffalo router now so if you already have that, set it up the way I mentioned above and let me know if you need more instructions.

hearny wrote: »
    Hi Freetv,
    it should be a simple enough procedure.
    Connect the cable that comes from the antenna on the roof directly into the WAN port on the Buffalo router (not sure i you already have the router or are planning on ordering it).

You only need 1 router to sit between the antenna and all of your machines, just make sure it has 1 WAN (Internet) port and not a dsl connection (phone cable).

Connect the PC to one of the 4 LAN ports and follow the setup guide supplied (If there is a setup wizard it will probably recognise the setup and connect automatically).

I am downloading the manual for the buffalo router now so if you already have that, set it up the way I mentioned above and let me know if you need more instructions.
    Thanks hearny, I turned the power on earlier and connected the Cat5 cable coming from the LAN port of the POE adapter in to the FTTH/ADSL/CATV modem internet port of the Buffalo router and then connected another cat5 cable from switching hub 1 in to her laptop. Is that correct? Maybe the firewall of her laptop blocked access.

Sorry for the delay.

That setup sounds right.

I would set it up that way again.

Dont turn on the buffalo router yet.

If there is a separate plug to supply the power to the wireless device.

If there is unplug that, leave the power off for a few seconds and plug it back in.

Now turn on the buffalo router.

If after a minute you cannot access the internet go the the admin page of the buffalo router, (go to http://192.168.11.1/ in your web browser).

Username is root and the password is blank.

You should look for the setup assistant there, the only real setting you need to change is the WAN should be "Automatic Configuration - DHCP"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Did Net1 give you a static i.p address, as far as i know they used to, if they did you will need to enter it into the router settings in addition to what was described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

According to their website they use static public ip address.

You need to make sure this isn't configured on the laptops LAN port, once that is done you'll be able to connect to the buffalo Router & configure the static IP on it's WAN port, then set up your wifi etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm pretty sure the static ip address is not something you'll need, it will be assigned to their equipment outside

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Depends on how they do it, i know with IBB you need to configure it on your equipment

I honestly haven't a clue which way to configure it because they don't tell you anything in the documentation other than the IP address settings or whether or not to use the static IP address for the router or whether as one of you said it is assigned to the equipment outside. This type of wireless service is all new to me. I usually am fairly proficient in anything technical or have been at least before now. Thanks for the replies guys, I know that you are doing your very best to help me. Of course if you spend 84.99 on a Linksys router that is all done for you and sent within a week. :eek: It doesn't even state a model number or give any detailed specs on the equipment, it could be two or three years old, who knows? Are there any Net1 customers here to help me please who knows how to help me please? I contacted them twice so far, nobody was available to talk to me to assist me and no return call in the last week from them either. I will have a go to connect to it on my old laptop again when a new power supply arrives. The woman is using her laptop constantly and doesn't like anyone to be using hers and didn't want to ring support so far.

• Advertisement

Hi Freetv,

Sorry I thought I replied to this the other day but I obviously Didnt, and as for the simple enough procedure I mentioned earlier well that idn't work out too well either.

From looking at their site they do assign you a static IP address.

If they do assign you a static I.P. Address they will have configured your computer with the address so if they didnt provide it to you you should be able to retrieve it on the pc they setup the broadband on.

What you need to do is apply the static IP address to the WAN (Internet) port on the buffalo router. (I told you to set it to automatic the last time).

So here is what you need to do.

To Find Out The Required Settings

Turn on the laptop / pc that allows you to connect to the internet via net1 and make sure you can connect to the internet.

Click on start -> run (or Find depending on the version of Windows) type cmd and press ok

This should open a black window that you can type commands into called Command Prompt (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ipconfig_win_xp.png).

Type in the command:
    ipconfig /all
    and press enter / return
    Take note of the details that are listed.
    The important details are:

I.P. Address
    DNS Servers
    Default Gateway

Make sure to record these details Properly we will use them shortly.

To Get the Hardware Setup

As mentioned before you want to connect the Wan / Internet Port of the buffalo router to the net1 adapter using the ethernet cable.

If you can use your laptop or a different pc to connect using a cat5 / ethernet cable to one of the 4 LAN ports on the buffalo router.

Setup Buffalo Router

If you are using the same laptop / pc that you captured the network settings from you need to change the network settings described below.

Now you want to make sure that the device you are working on received its network settings from the buffalo router.

Again run the command prompt described above and run the command
    ipconfig again.

The settings should be something like
    I.P. address 192.168.11.2
    Default Gateway 192.168.11.1

Now Open a web browser window (Internet Explorer / Firefox / Chrome) and type in the address bar at the top (not the search bar)
    unless the Default Gateway above is something different in which case you should type that address in and hit enter.

If you are asked for a password enter
    root
    and leave the password blank

This is where I am trying to follow the manual to explain it better but it may vary a bit from what you need to do, the settings you need will remain the same though.

You should see a menu accross the top o the screen with Internet / WAN, click on this and use the settings from the first ipconfig command to fill in the details.
    Not sure of the order but you Will be specifying "Static I.P. Address", leave the MTU and MAC Address as they are enter in the DNS and I.P. Address / Default Gateway.

Save Your Settings and there should be an option to reboot the router too.

If you are unsure you will need to post the questions here with screenshots if possible. To take a screenshot press Ctrl + Alt + Print Screen All at the same time, you can then open a program like microsoft word and paste the screenshot.

Change Network Settings on pc / laptop

You will need to change your network setting on the PC that was configured to use the net1 device

Depending on the operating system again here are the instructions for windows 7

Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type adapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.

You should see a connection like Local Area Connection.

Right Click on it and click properties. Click the Networking tab.

Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties.

Click "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Automatically"

Click Ok to close any open Dialog boxes.

Good Luck, it sounds more difficult than it is

Also if you are writing a reply can you space it out a little as I find it hard to read the blocks of text (I'm as blind as a bat).

Well did you try the above solution.

Advertisement