Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

westlife split after 14 yrs?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I see on this weeks Northwest Express that Westlife are to go their own way after 14 years as a band. Good luck to them. They were great ambassadors for Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Fair play to them, they had a good run of it. 44 million copies of their tunes, quite a feat. Hopefully they'll include Hargadons or Shoots on the farewell tour next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭OhYesItIs

Hard working lads, deserved it. No disgraces involved...paid their dues and their taxes. Well done lads, you're not my cup of tea, but good on ya. Enjoy the retirement : )

Meanwhile, heres what Mick The Barman Thought about it...(PG: Some swearing involved:).

http://youtu.be/umDa9mqGWYE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭OhYesItIs

My reaction: : )

http://youtu.be/YKss2uYpih8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I wouldn't be surprised if the reunion tour is already penciled in for 2013.;)

But seriously, to be going as long as they have in the fickle teen oriented market that they occupy is an amazing feat. Three years is usually considered a decent run for boybands. They've been topping the charts for at least 11 years now.

If this story is true then best of luck to each of them in whatever career they pursue in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Plazaman wrote: »
    Fair play to them, they had a good run of it. 44 million copies of their tunes, quite a feat. Hopefully they'll include Hargadons or Shoots on the farewell tour next year.
    Doubt you'd see them in there.Wouldn't do a gig for a fund raiser for Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I wouldn't be surprised if the reunion tour is already penciled in for 2013.;)

I have no doubt that will happen at some stage and I wouldn't blame them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

And not a single **** was given that day lol All joking aside fair play to them, they had a decent run!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

They had a good run and were very sucessful so fair play to them.

That aside, just meh really.

No doubt Shane and mark will have solo careers and there will be a reunion in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

I love Westlife, I wish they hadn't split up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Marketing stratagy. Greatest hits, sabatical, reunion, new album, tour. I care only enough to make a post saying I really couldn't care less. Too many properly talented musicians earning sod all to congratulate a karaoke act on selling formulaic tat (written by others, played by others and vocals washed through computers) to brainwashed kids.
    You wouldn't say fair play to a mechanic who couldn't fix a car. Same should go for the music industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

My response.

Praise the lawd!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not a fan, but credit were credit is due, the lads have done well for them selfs.

The Mayor of Sligo, has also said she will try and get to play one of their last gigs at the Showgrounds. Oddly said at the ground this evening during Rovers homecoming.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Not a fan, but credit were credit is due, the lads have done well for them selfs.

The Mayor of Sligo, has also said she will try and get to play one of their last gigs at the Showgrounds. Oddly said at the ground this evening during Rovers homecoming.

No wish to wind people up, but why exactly is credit due? For their God given musical genius? No? The hard work and deligence to master their chosen instrument? No? Their canny knack of writing a catchy tune? Hardly.
    A mediocre voice, zero musicianship, no real songwriting ability and some laboured, high camp dance moves. Let's face it. They got lucky. Big style.
    Just my 2 cents as a long time guitarist and music anorak with many friends in the business. I wish them no ill will but can't give them any credit for how they've earned their fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

il gatto wrote: »
    No wish to wind people up, but why exactly is credit due? For their God given musical genius? No? The hard work and deligence to master their chosen instrument? No? Their canny knack of writing a catchy tune? Hardly.
    A mediocre voice, zero musicianship, no real songwriting ability and some laboured, high camp dance moves. Let's face it. They got lucky. Big style.
    Just my 2 cents as a long time guitarist and music anorak with many friends in the business. I wish them no ill will but can't give them any credit for how they've earned their fortune.

Again, not a fan, but even for 14 years of mediocre music and cover songs, and to finish where they were, someone was doing something right.

irish-stew wrote: »

Again, not a fan, but even for 14 years of mediocre music and cover songs, and to finish where they were, someone was doing something right.

Exactly. Well done Swedish producers, songwriters and session musicians. You made some Irish chancres an absolute mint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Maybe the boys will now tax their Maserati, porsche, VW California and any other British plated toys they have in this country, where both they and the cars live. It is amazing that they have never been forced to do so by customs. It is also amazing that the lads never felt they should do so themselves. Any other Joe would have their car lifted within a couple of weeks. Dont bother tell me about British address as this is not relevant, ever, the law applys to where the car normally resides, not the owner! PAy your TAXES lads, and well done for the last 14 years.

PS Being the petrol head I am I have nothing but joy that they have them, just think they should pay their way like anybody else

Maybe the boys will now tax their Maserati, porsche, VW California and any other British plated toys they have in this country, where both they and the cars live. It is amazing that they have never been forced to do so by customs. It is also amazing that the lads never felt they should do so themselves. Any other Joe would have their car lifted within a couple of weeks. Dont bother tell me about British address as this is not relevant, ever, the law applys to where the car normally resides, not the owner! PAy your TAXES lads, and well done for the last 14 years.

PS Being the petrol head I am I have nothing but joy that they have them, just think they should pay their way like anybody else

Even if they payed, the amount of VRT would have decreased dramatically. One vehicle could I can think of would have lost nearly€10,000 VRT since it was "imported". I payed for mine in a few days, as did the missus. We could ill afford it but them's the rules. For the proles anyway. No wonder the country is broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

to be fair to them they're not just a random bunch assembled to have money thrown at them. They were in school with me, Shane and Mark both have very good voices and always were excellent performers, Kian's good on guitar and piano (not relevant to westlife fair enough) but can't sing. The dub doesn't appear to be able to do anything but i stand open to correction.

The main part of their success was luck, nobody can dispute that, even they would admit it to themselves privately i'm sure.

They worked hard, lived pretty cleanly and kept out of any big scandals. A huge asset for them was doing what they were told, more crap covers? sure why not. Ballad after ballad? fair enough. Can't have our own influence on the music? Ok Louis.

They've always spoke highly of their home town which says a lot about someone in my mind anyways.

promethius wrote: »
    to be fair to them they're not just a random bunch assembled to have money thrown at them. They were in school with me, Shane and Mark both have very good voices and always were excellent performers, Kian's good on guitar and piano (not relevant to westlife fair enough) but can't sing. The dub doesn't appear to be able to do anything but i stand open to correction.

The main part of their success was luck, nobody can dispute that, even they would admit it to themselves privately i'm sure.

They worked hard, lived pretty cleanly and kept out of any big scandals. A huge asset for them was doing what they were told, more crap covers? sure why not. Ballad after ballad? fair enough. Can't have our own influence on the music? Ok Louis.

They've always spoke highly of their home town which says a lot about someone in my mind anyways.

I suppose that's it in a nutshell. There's not much to despise them for. And I certainly don't. My only issue is the fair play, credit due, well deserved stance. As a music lover, anorak and musician, the "do as your told" formula is anti creativity. I recognise the thousands of hours of practice it take any band throughout their lives, before they can stand up and play gig. X-Factor is showing us behind the curtain and how quick and easy it is to turn random people with a wee bit of talent and no musicianship or musical nous, into a passable performer. A decent voice is a common enough occurrence amongst the populace. The money their records made could have went to bands who put their heart and soul into their music. Unfortunately the music industry is now ran as a commodities market by the likes of Cowell, Walsh and their ilk.

• Advertisement

Kian hasn't. Not after he got that thumping in Abrakebabra one night for chattin up a guys missus - Knob.

why what did kian say about sligo? i always thought he was positive about the place? he's here the whole time, see him surfing a lot, built the dreamhouse close to the beach in strandhill, sligo lad through and through.

why what did kian say about sligo? i always thought he was positive about the place? he's here the whole time, see him surfing a lot, built the dreamhouse close to the beach in strandhill, sligo lad through and through.

Gave out in an interview after (Hotpress maybe?) after some misdirected abuse ended up with a beating. If I recall correctly, claimed he came out on top. Que lad who beat him up telling everyone he was going to give him a hiding if he got him.
    Applied for planning for an extention, then applied for changes to planning which don't need to be published, flattened the house that was there and built one over 4 times as big. Site next door was given to a girl from over the road by her father a few years before. Strandhill through and through. Planning? No way. Lives miles away now apparently. Nice to be "special".

Link

Link Fixed

Gave out in an interview after (Hotpress maybe?) after some misdirected abuse ended up with a beating. If I recall correctly, claimed he came out on top. Que lad who beat him up telling everyone he was going to give him a hiding if he got him.
    Applied for planning for an extention, then applied for changes to planning which don't need to be published, flattened the house that was there and built one over 4 times as big. Site next door was given to a girl from over the road by her father a few years before. Strandhill through and through. Planning? No way. Lives miles away now apparently. Nice to be "special".

Have to just correct something there, the house wasn't knocked down, i remember it well, it was a garish colour and had very unusual pointed arches at the front, it was renovated and added to (extensively as you say). I remember thinking it was very odd that it wasn't just knocked down but figured it was part of the planning permission.

As for that girl, what can you say, very disappointing for sure. But he's probably got the house there for the same reason he hasn't paid the VRT :D

Have to just correct something there, the house wasn't knocked down, i remember it well, it was a garish colour and had very unusual pointed arches at the front, it was renovated and added to (extensively as you say). I remember thinking it was very odd that it wasn't just knocked down but figured it was part of the planning permission.

As for that girl, what can you say, very disappointing for sure. But he's probably got the house there for the same reason he hasn't paid the VRT :D

It was knocked. House was about 3 years old at most. Built extensively at the back and then gradually knocked the original house. Left the front wall until the rest was done and then knocked it too. The house wasn't garish. Just normal magnolia. Original house was about 2,500 sq ft at most. New one is almost 9,500 sq ft.
    Not to question your memory on this but I know this for a fact having passed by most days and seen it progress.

He was also on some tv show talking about it and said something along the lines of 'At the end of the day, I'm here and they're still sitting outside abrakebabra, aren't they?'

Insulting for Sligo people if you ask me. Kian has always been a twat tho. Always full of his own importance like his shit doesn't stink. The only thing that makes him a Sligo man is his accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭westliferule

cant believe Westlife are splitting up guys Ill miss ye so much you are by far the best band ever and you will never be forgotten. Hope to get tickets to Croke Park next week but if I dont I dont.

cant believe Westlife are splitting up guys Ill miss ye so much you are by far the best band ever and you will never be forgotten. Hope to get tickets to Croke Park next week but if I dont I dont.

Hmmm.... Fan much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Kian hasn't. Not after he got that thumping in Abrakebabra one night for chattin up a guys missus - Knob.
    Gave out in an interview after (Hotpress maybe?) after some misdirected abuse ended up with a beating. If I recall correctly, claimed he came out on top. Que lad who beat him up telling everyone he was going to give him a hiding if he got him..

ok, i thought this was old news, i aint his biggest fan in particular either but are ye not aware of the identity of the fella that beat him up???

And in fairness, he was referring to the fact that this particular scumbag and his group of scum friends were still hanging around abra trolling the town, where he has a point.

Advertisement