Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect a router to the Net1 broadband service please.

Options
  • 19-10-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi to everyone, this is my very first time posting in this section. I am looking for advice and help please on how to get a Buffalo Nfiniti high power wireless-n router and access point, model number WHR-HP-G300N to connect. They have them on Pixmania. I was told by the man who did the line of sight of the white antenna box on the roof that any cable router would do the job. I am thinking that maybe a modem is needed also? I tried to connect it earlier but no joy. I have only used a DSL BT Voyager wireless system before. All we were supplied with was the carrier POE adapter which obviously we have been using for over a week but we only have one connection and my partner, she is getting very annoyed. There is no information of what equipment to buy or how to get it to work on the site. I tried to talk to someone earlier in technical support about what equipment would be needed and whether what I had would suffice and some help in setting it up but no one was available. They never rang back at all today. I also bought a Linksys PAP2T-EU phone adapter. smile.gif
    It should say router in the title. If I need to buy a modem to get the above Buffalo router to work, what type exactly do I need? It is a fixed access wireless system that Net1 use I believe.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You definitely don't a modem in this case. The "cable" router should be a capable of picking up the signal from the ethernet cable coming into the house.

It is disappointing that you were not able to an answer to this question from Net1 quite easily as it would be a standard requirement for most people nowadays. Their forum link on the website doesn't appear to be working either:mad:

Friends of mine who had Net1 in the past were definitely able to use a cable wireless type router with the service and I am not aware of them having to put in any special settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Net1 wrote: »
    That is of no help to me, sorry, I have three pieces of equipment already and why is there a premium rate number for help? Unreal! Whatever happened to free customer support? Every other wireless company offers it. I checked. I always help people out when I can. You guys aren't doing yourselves any favours. I rang already days ago and no call back since. Thank you dub45 for your message, I have tried to connect to the router using my partner's laptop but I will try it again using my old laptop when my replacement power supply arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

Calls to Net1 support are FREE to all our voice customers - Standard rates for all other customers -
    Our main telephone number is an 042 area code and we also operate 041 and 071 numbers - to keep the call "localrate" for people calling.
    I don't know where you got the idea that we operate a premium tech support - we dont ! period.

Somebody else has accused us of making money from our online store - not quite - we actually make a loss on each router sent out - but stand over it for a year. It arrives fully programmed and working - OK it is 802.11G but even this is adequate for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Net1 wrote: »
    Calls to Net1 support are FREE to all our voice customers - Standard rates for all other customers -
    Our main telephone number is an 042 area code and we also operate 041 and 071 numbers - to keep the call "localrate" for people calling.
    I don't know where you got the idea that we operate a premium tech support - we dont ! period.

Somebody else has accused us of making money from our online store - not quite - we actually make a loss on each router sent out - but stand over it for a year. It arrives fully programmed and working - OK it is 802.11G but even this is adequate for most people
    Excuse me but you do have or at least did have in the recent past a 1560 technical support line for step by step help printed on the IP address settings sheet I received, maybe you are unaware of this fact? I find that a bit misleading. I have no intention of calling any 1560 numbers ever. I already called the 042 number before and left my phone number and was told a week ago that I would receive a prompt call back from the Technical Department. I could go to the trouble of scanning the relevant section of customer document and putting the attachment online. It says on the document that for router support pr PC configuration issues that you operate a premium rate Tech support line for step by step help. That is not free support. Edit: I see that there are different numbers online on your site now. The technical support service according to the sheet at the time I had the antenna installed recently stated that it cost 1.25 a minute. I have edited this reply as I have only gone to your site now as I found out about your service by word of mouth and not online so apologies on that front. You have no information of what model number or any detailed specs about the Linksys router on your site. It may be only worth forty or fifty Euro at the most as a retail price. It could be very old stock for all anyone knows. Support? You don't seem to know the meaning of the words customer support, sorry! Never returned my calls and I can tell you that I am a very patient, non argumentative person and at the very least a customer should get a call back. I wouldn't have to reply back here online to you if I could actually get through to speak to a person in you technical Department in the first place. The main support a customer needs is technical customer support particularly if they haven't used fixed access wireless technology before. Not everyone will buy very expensive routers advertised. Luckily there are here are lots of nice people here on Boards who love to help people out with their time and give advice about all technical matters whether it be about computers, television equipment etc when someone is badly stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

@FREETV
    Sorry but writing all in one paragraph makes it too difficult to read. You should know by now, you've 300 odd posts

Advertisement