Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead skin remover

• 19-10-2011 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Evening ladies.

Can anyone recommend some sort of a scrub, glove or pad to scrub and scour dead skin off the face. Doesn't have to be the cheapest or most expensive, simply whatever you think is the best. Ive been using glycolic acid to lift the skin layer but im finding it hard to geat rid of the actual dead skin bar using one of those scouring pads :o

Oh, please dont tell anyone over in the Gentleman's lounge or, god forbid, beer guts and receding hair lines.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Skin care is gender neutral :cool:

Sounds like you need an exfoliator. Clinique, Clarins and Body Shop all do nice, specifically mens, products. For gender neutral and cheaper products, check out the skin care aisle in Boots, there's loads to choose from.

If your skin is flaking, it's probably dry. Use a moisturiser after washing your face every day, again look at the above brands for something to suit "Dry Skin". Also, make sure you're getting your 2-2.5 litres of water a day!

If you do go for more expensive products (Clairins, Clinique), the staff at the counter will be able to advise you on your skin type and what products you need. You might even get some samples to try at home ;) You'll find the counters in larger Boots, Brown Thomas, Arnotts, Debenhams, some chemists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Thanks Twee, it is dry because i used a glycolic acid solution to peel the top layer away (i was stuck in hospital for a few weeks and it made a mess of my skin for some reason, not a medical one anyway)
    So it is just a scrub pad as such to clear away the dead skin. I just asked herself and she swears by sugar mixed in moisturiser or sudacream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Thanks Twee, it is dry because i used a glycolic acid solution to peel the top layer away (i was stuck in hospital for a few weeks and it made a mess of my skin for some reason, not a medical one anyway)
    So it is just a scrub pad as such to clear away the dead skin. I just asked herself and she swears by sugar mixed in moisturiser or sudacream?

First of all go easy on your skin! please don't scrub with a pad or glove ever on your face!.

Secondly the glycolic acid would have taken a layer off your skin and it can leave your skin dry, it is extremely important to wear sunscreen every day after glycolic use.

You need to give your skin a break, what your seeing on your skin now is damage.Stop scrubbing for a week and just cleanse, tone and moisturise (your wife should be able to show you the process) after the week invest in a gentle face exfoliator...use this one a week if you have dry skin and twice if you have oily skin.

Twee is definitely onto something with the moisturiser suggestion.

Unless you know for a fact that layers of your facial skin are dying rapidly, it's far more likely that it's not dead skin, but dry skin (technically the dry skin that flakes off is dead but I mean dry as opposed to the kind of naturally dead skin cells that exfoliants would normally be used for).

If it seems flaky and brittle or peely and soft, it's dry skin. If it's thick or hard, then it's dead skin. Exfoliants are used for the very thin layer of dead skin cells that builds up on your face, but these shouldn't really be noticeable to the naked eye. If you're using scrubs and exfoliants to try to get rid of flaky dry skin, you're actually causing/exacerbating the problem rather than fixing it.

Exfoliate/scrub once or twice a week only (mine goes pretty flaky/peely if I exfoliate more than once a week, but I'm a bit sensitive), and make sure you're using a moisturiser every day. Don't think about getting rid of the skin, but rather healing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Thanks for the replies ladies/lads.

Yep, i think i may have been over doing it so ill lay off for a week, even shaving.

I guess im a typical man in that it is either all or nothing. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

I also find that exfoliators with bits in them are harsh, even the so called gentle ones..so if you have any way sensitive skin it might be better to go with an exfoliant like dermalogica daily microfoliant, its a rice based enzymatic exfoliator...tiny bit with a bit of water added and use like a face wash (avoiding eyes) this makes my skin glowy and really soft with no aggravation.
    Cant remember how much it is, but I have my tub for nearly a year and still a good bit left.
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, also if you have central heating on leave a bowl of water near rads, this made a good difference to me..and definitely make sure you moisturise twice a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

How often are you using the glycolic acid?

The best thing you can do right now is moisturise, lots of unscented moisturiser or silcocks base(cheap, cheerful, available in every chemist and its a miracle product!) If you don't feel like asking for a moisturiser in the chenist then olive oil is a great natural moisturiser, I'm sure you have some in the house. It also has naturally occuring chemicals that help dislove and lift dead skin, but in an extremely gentle way. Just rub some on the skin and keep rubbing in circular motions, you'll soon notice a gritty feeling-that s the dead skin lifting away. Wipe it off with a clean cloth or cotton.

For a gentle moisturiser, you can mix sugar with honey, and apply it in the same way, honey also has enzymes that help with purifying and cleansing the skin, and its very moisturising. Also handy to make up, because your sure to have some in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement