Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sheep slats on concrete floor

• 19-10-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

hi, was thinking of putting sheep slats off the ground in a hayshed,dont see myself at the moment using it enough to warrant doing a tank, was looking at the o donovan slats, or something similar, just looking for advice , tips before i get started, cleaning out will prob be the most difficult part, is there a standard sq foot per ewe people use when housing,hard to picture how much a ewe will put out of her :). and what depth ill need to be off the ground, any advice welcome thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Check out wooden slats before you go spending a lot of money. They'll be easily removed for cleaning out. They'll be cheap, warm and easily handled. Google is your friend. I used to have some pictures of a shed done with it, I'll see if I can dig them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

reilig wrote: »
    Check out wooden slats before you go spending a lot of money. They'll be easily removed for cleaning out. They'll be cheap, warm and easily handled. Google is your friend. I used to have some pictures of a shed done with it, I'll see if I can dig them out.

good stuff thanks, ya iv been doing a lot of google research, but ya cant beat other peoples advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Dig a four foot tank under the slats and put an eight foot agitating point outside the shed - that way you never have to lift the slats again - otherwise cleaning out the shed will be the biggest pain you ever had every year. Fill your tank with two feet of water at the start of the winter and you will end up with slurry as opposed to FYM.

I know it will cost a lot more but it will be worth it in the long run. Id go for plastic trapper slat (O'Donovans Eng in Coachford are one supplier) as they will out last timber and the ewes can lamb on them without risk of lambs legs going down the slats.

Just one other point - if your feeding hay or baled silage be prepared to have to clean the slats often otherwise they will become blocked - slats are ideal if feeding precision chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 starfruit2510

Hi, does any1 know the census dates from 2005 - 2010 that shud b recorded n sheep flock register? My father never bothered to full dem n & now he needs dem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Hi, does any1 know the census dates from 2005 - 2010 that shud b recorded n sheep flock register? My father never bothered to full dem n & now he needs dem.
    Have my oen dates
    But to the best of my recolectuon their was a window to do it and he would have puy a date on the form when he sent it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

if he did send them in and has just forgotten you just ring your local dvo office and they will give them to you over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 40 starfruit2510

razor8 wrote: »
    if he did send them in and has just forgotten you just ring your local dvo office and they will give them to you over the phone
    Cheers! i never thought of dat

Advertisement