Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Most Shocking Film You've Ever Seen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

'Dumplings' wrecks my head - a few squeamish scenes but the underlying concept- yummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

8mm the one with nick cage about the snuff movies was fairly intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

American Psycho was the first film myself and my wife watched with our daughter and her new boyfriend. We both laughed the whole way through it, but I only finished the book today and suddenly i don't think it's supposed to be a black comedy, more a scathing attack on the wallstreet culture. Hate to think what her boyfriend tought of us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

The ending to Oldboy anybody?? Seriously messed up.

Amazingly amazing film none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Sex in the City.

Absolutely shocking.

Still have nightmares 'bout it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Wattle wrote: »
    Did anybody mention the original Dutch version of The Vanishing? Freaky ending.

Yep, I find thinking about the end of that film is still unsettling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Full.Duck wrote: »
    The ending to Oldboy anybody?? Seriously messed up.

Amazingly amazing film none the less.

The bit where he eats the live octopus is savage as well

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Grotesque - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1352369/

Some things should never be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Dudess wrote: »
    I've read about stuff like Men Behind The Sun (:eek:)

I watched a trailer for this the other day. Seemed interesting enough apart from not being in English. I've done a good bit of reading up on Unit 731 after listening to a song that Slayer wrote on the subject. Some pretty f*cked up stuff. Might give that film a go some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

wild_cat wrote: »
    Hardy candy.

Made me feel sorry for a peadofile.

Play with fire, get your fingers burned. Hard to feel sympathy for that character imo.

Gave me a whole new respect for Ellen Page as an actress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Ernest Scared Stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

As "film" hasn't been defined, my latest shocking "film" (which can mean anything in the AV field) is the very very real and disturbing material from China re a little 2 year old child getting run down. Cinema cannot ever recreate this due to its obvious reluctance to really go for the throat. Reality has real shock value and unfortunately real shock value in cinema scares the ****e out of the bean counters.

Really shocking films in the fictional sense are still hard to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

Happiness.......shocked and made me laugh all in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Giselle wrote: »
    This thread is pretty much becoming a list of what I'd have to avoid.
    Exact opposite for me, these are all going on my "to watch" list. :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Open Water.

Shocking in the sh1te way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

I will not be able to sleep tonight after reading the synopsis alone of some of the films mentioned :eek:

Requiem for a dream left me shocked for a long time after..
    Also whilst not visually disturbing I saw a film earlier this year called Never Let Me Go and the concept of it left a sickening feeling :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I have to say I got a shock off this short film and I was holding a pint of beer at the time and it went everywhere.

you have to watch it closely till the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Dead Ringers, starring Jeremy Irons was the first movie that i felt disturbed after, the trailer for one of Romeros' Zombie classics kept me awake for weeks after i saw it as a youngster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

The Belorussian War Movie "Come and See".

Harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Teeth

After watching that I had two questions;
    1) How had i wronged the person who recommended it to me and
    2) Who put the creators in the position to make a movie like that

I'd never claim to know a lot about movies or the film-making process, but even I could see how terribly it was made, camerawork, lighting, sound editing, but they were all dwarfed by the plot

Honestly look it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Not religious in any way but watched passion of the Christ one night. Ridiculously graphic violence.

An old Vincent Price film called "The pit and the pendulum" was very creepy to me.
    Prince of darkness directed by John Carpenter was also very creepy. That last scene scared the shyte out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Mister-M5 wrote: »
    Teeth

After watching that I had two questions;
    1) How had i wronged the person who recommended it to me and
    2) Who put the creators in the position to make a movie like that

I'd never claim to know a lot about movies or the film-making process, but even I could see how terribly it was made, camerawork, lighting, sound editing, but they were all dwarfed by the plot

Honestly look it up

4 words can describe it ... make a cheap buck.
    Im amazed at the cheap crap that sells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

I found the rape scene from "The Accused" extremely disturbing! I was fairly young when I saw it (as in teenager) and it scared the hell outa me. As a female it definitely changed the way I interacted with men. DON'T LET YOUR DAUGHTERS WATCH STUFF LIKE THAT!

"My Own Private Idaho" was also pretty disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This is probably more bizarre than shocking but Underground by Pierre Spengler, a Yugoslavian film about an underground weapons manufacturer who cons his workers into believing that the second world war is still in progress right up to the early sixties and also takes in the following decades leading up to the Serbian war in the 90s, bizarre black comedy.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114787/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

It was actually Emir Kusturica who directed that. He's the guy who directed the 2008 Maradona documentary as well.

Spengler acted as producer on Underground. As a filmmaker I hate seeing the producer getting full credit for a film. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I saw Saló the other night. It's got one of the worst reps ever but I thought it was comparatively tame. There's some uncomfortable scenes (the wedding dinner) but the violence isn't that graphic I don't think, I guess it's just that there's so much of it.

I saw Martyrs and that left me really uncomfortable, especially the final few minutes where your one is at the point of revealing the secrets. There's a lot in that film that's really messed up. It's a really interesting story but what they show doesn't leave much to the imagination.

I saw a Korean film called The Isle which had one scene which really shocked me. It involved a woman and fish hooks, 'nuff said.

If you thought American Psycho was funny, DON'T read the book. It's not funny and a million times more graphic than what they could get into the film. That'd definitely be the most shocking book I've ever read.

I can't think of any other films that have shocked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

A Serbian Film. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

what about that scene in HOSTEL 2 with the woman and the scythe and the upside down girl. I'll say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

the movie 'Seed' spring to mind, well disturbed after that. Opening scene of the dog being skinned alive is haunting. American History X and that footpath scene. I spit on your grave and the beast in heat shocking and disturbing

I watched A Serbian Film last night after seeing it mentioned here.... I REALLY wish I hadnt done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Watched the full uncut version of "A Serbian Film" the other night.

Ive seen "Salo" and "faces of death", but this is on a different level all together.

Its the type of film you will find hard to forget about and unfortunately, many of the scenes will stay with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Zeitgeist scared the crap out of me at the time.Now, alot of its come true and we just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lipstik.Junky

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Watched the full uncut version of "A Serbian Film" the other night.

Ive seen "Salo" and "faces of death", but this is on a different level all together.

Its the type of film you will find hard to forget about and unfortunately, many of the scenes will stay with you.

Watch the film? Are you crazy!?! I read the incredibly detailed description on Wikipedia and I am disturbed.I reall wish I hadn't read it.I cant believe a movie like that exists.

On another note,Ever seen the movie 'Kids'. Not the usual torture/psycho disturbing stuff thats listed here but it will stick with you and some of the themes are pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Spanish film Aftermath

A friend picked up a bootleg DVD in Berlin - never seen anything like it
    It follows a pair of morticians performing graphic autopsies on a pair of corpses.

After one leaves for the night, the second begins working on a third body, a young woman identified as Marta Arnau Marti, killed in a car crash.
    He first mutilates the corpse, then uses it for necrophiliac purposes while taking photographs.

After he finishes, he removes the woman's heart and completes the autopsy, then takes her heart home and blends it into a fine pulp.
    The film ends as he feeds his dog the heart while he relaxes and watches TV.

There is no spoken dialogue for the duration of the film.

Another one which although it's not a great film still disturbed me was 8mm

A girl I'm friends with disappeared off to Tenerife for 4 months to work in a bar without bothering to tell anyone,
    a few of us feared the worst as she'd been known to meet people off the Internet,
    I couldn't stop thinking about this film and if something similar had happened

When I was younger Event Horizon used to creep me out, still does just not as much

Haven't got around to seeing the likes of Anti-Christ and A Serbian Film yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

No film ever really shocked me I think. some youtube clips.
    Seen some nazi war footage in a museum in france.

1408 left me feeling a bit weird and off balance/disoriented , wouldn't ever watch it again.

Haven't seen a lot of the films mentioned here though and will try not too !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

If they ever made a film about the experiments of Josef Mengele it would be far beyond any film metioned so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

:cool:

Irreversible. the fire extinguisher and the rape scene are hard to forget

Thats the most shocking, disturbing few moments of film I have ever seen. Never been able to forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Not strictly film but this is disgusting and barbarous.
    In Japanese cuisine, ikizukuri or ikezukuri (生き作り/活け造り?, “prepared alive”) is the preparation of sashimi from a live sea animal, such as fish, shrimp, and lobster .[1]
    Ikizukuri usually involves the customer selecting the animal they wish to eat from a saltwater tank. The chef, who is often a sashimi chef, takes the animal out of the tank, and carefully fillets it, without killing the animal. The sea animal is served on a plate, its sliced flesh served on top of it for decoration, with its heart still beating.[2] Other variants of ikizukuri involve temporarily returning a filleted fish to an aquarium, where it swims around until it is prepared as the second course soup.
    Ikizukuri of fish consists of thin, sheet-like slices or finger-sized pieces of sashimi, sometimes garnished with lemon wedges, a decoration of ginger, or nori (seaweed).
    The preparation of ikizukuri is controversial, and is banned in several countries, including Australia and Germany[3].

or this:

Or even this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Cannibal Holocaust
    Human Pork Chop
    The Untold Story
    Psycho - The Snuff Reels
    Gusomilk
    Concrete Encased Highschool Girl Murder Case
    Irreversible
    Water Power

Requiem for a Dream and Last Exit to Brooklyn were pretty nasty to watch as well.

Love a film that makes you feel like you've been punched in the guts. The first above really does that.

Not seen A Serbian Film in full yet but what I have seen was pretty brutal alright.

• Advertisement

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Spanish film Aftermath

A friend picked up a bootleg DVD in Berlin - never seen anything like it

Another one which although it's not a great film still disturbed me was 8mm

A girl I'm friends with disappeared off to Tenerife for 4 months to work in a bar without bothering to tell anyone,
    a few of us feared the worst as she'd been known to meet people off the Internet,
    I couldn't stop thinking about this film and if something similar had happened

When I was younger Event Horizon used to creep me out, still does just not as much

Haven't got around to seeing the likes of Anti-Christ and A Serbian Film yet

Aftermath is class haha. Can't go wrong with necrophilia :p

Theres a bit in Korean film Oldboy about eating live [still squirming] squid. I found it worse than the killing actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Braveheart.

Full of historical innaccuracies and vile anti-English racism.

Batsy wrote: »
    Braveheart.

Full of historical innaccuracies and vile anti-English racism.
    Its laughable, Mel Gibson is the father of the future line of English kings. For once - its the scottish not the Irish whose history is mangled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

didnt read all 17 pages..but the Human Centipied..fricking disgusting.

Testament1 wrote: »
    I watched a trailer for this the other day. Seemed interesting enough apart from not being in English. I've done a good bit of reading up on Unit 731 after listening to a song that Slayer wrote on the subject. Some pretty f*cked up stuff. Might give that film a go some day.

The Men Behind the Sun series is fantastic. Part 4 "The Nanking Massacre" AKA (I believe) "The Rape of Nanking" is pretty brutal to watch. IMO more so than the first part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

event horizon freaked me out big time the 1st time i saw it. great film tho! requiem for a dream is disturbing, maybe not in the same league as antichrist (from what ive heard!) but itd deffo put you off heroin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Fargo

The fact it all really happened added to the horror and gruesomeness.

Even 15 years after seeing it, I still feel sick when I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

"The Human Centipede" is without doubt the must messed up thing I have ever watched..

The b*astarding thing caught me unawares on the SciFi channel one night and I still feel sick at the thoughts of it...

Yeah Defo, "The Human Centipede" is the sickest thing I have ever seen by a mile. Really disturbing!!

He's making a sequel, "The Human Centipede 2", and the director has been quoted as saying that the sequel is going to make the first film seem like 'my little pony'.

Fcuking twisted!!

Second most disturbing movie is 'Irreversible'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Also, 'Weekend at Bernies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Reading the wikipedia plot summary of A Serbian Film almost made me heave, no chance i'm ever going to watch that one. Human Centipede 2 looks insanely disgusting too... I'm not a squeamish person but you have to draw a line somewhere, i think.

That said, first time i saw The Green Mile the scene where Dale is electrocuted with a dry sponge unsettled my stomach a fair bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement