Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless card and wireless keyboard/mouse combo

Options
  • 19-10-2011 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My PC doesn't have wireless capabilities at the moment - this was a conscious choice at the time I was getting it built, as it's just for music. But I've decided to give it further functionality now and would really appreciate some pointers.

What hardware would you recommend - an actual internal wireless card, or a USB adaptor (as I have free USB ports)? Any particularly decent brands/places online to purchase? Does it make a difference what motherboard I have?

The reason I want the wireless is to first of all connect to the internet, but also so that I can add a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, as the the positioning of the keyboard and mouse as I have them is a bit of a pain, as I have to reach over my digital piano to access the keyboard, and the mouse is perched a bit precariously over the keys themselves. A wireless keyboard/mouse would be great to just have on my knees instead. I'd like a good one though, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it losing contact with the pc, as I've heard some do.

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

The wireless adapter required for wireless internet isn't the same as the one for a wireless keyboard/mouse. Wireless keyboards/mice come with their own wireless adapters that plug into USB ports. Wireless mice make sense as a mouse has to move around. However, wireless keyboards arent' usually worth the premium as it's not something that you generally more around. However, it sounds as though it would be an advantage in your case.

If possible, I would try and hard wire your PC directly into the router as you'll get a faster and more reliable connection. If that's not possible, then an internal wireless card is cheaper and will most likely give a better connection. There should be no problem with any motherboard manufactured in the last 5 years or so. There are recent threads about home plugs that are also worth considering.

I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Thanks ksimpson,

This here is my motherboard, in case that helps. Is it straight-forward installing an internal wireless card? I've only installed ram and an internal hard disk drive myself. Is there a specific slot for it? Should I be able to tell if I have space for one without opening up the machine?

I found this card on hardwareversand. Would you say it's ok?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

That card should be fine. It goes into one of the white slots on the mobo. The aerial is obviously on the outside of the case.

Windows should pick it up once you install it or should ask you to install a disk with the drivers.

Advertisement