Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring advice

Options
  • 19-10-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

hello
    i have fitted 4 downlighters and a ceiling fan to my ensuite. i have wired them by using a junction box.
    i ran the permenant live ( which was going to the light switch ) in to the box. this now feeds the permenant live for the fan
    i also ran the switched live into the junction box. this is then ran out to the fan and the lights using individual wires.
    i also ran the neutral into the box, then ran a neutral wire out to each light and the fan.
    is it ok to do it this way?
    it works fine, just want to be sure its safe.
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

thanks for that i will fit one. is my wiring ok though?

manus30 wrote: »
    thanks for that i will fit one. is my wiring ok though?

dont forget earth wires to fan and light

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sounds like a lot of of wires into the one junction box, eg 5 neutrals, 5 switched lives, 3 perm lives, 13 wires must be a squash!

Fit an isolator as said above. It probably would of been a neater job if you had of taken the perm feed from the light switch, up to the isolator.

You could also have looped one down lighter to the next, that said it can be sometimes hard to get 2 x 1.5 wires into the small terminals on the down lighters.

thanks for that. as long as its safe thats the main thing. i will fit the isolator though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

thanks for that. as long as its safe thats the main thing. i will fit the isolator though.

Well in theory there's nothing wrong with what you've done, if its safe or not will also depend on how you've physically made the connections. What size junction box did you use to accommodate all of the wires? Did you get the terminals to tighten nicely on each of the wires?

Well in theory there's nothing wrong with what you've done, if its safe or not will also depend on how you've physically made the connections. What size junction box did you use to accommodate all of the wires? Did you get the terminals to tighten nicely on each of the wires?
    i used a 32amp good quality junction box with large connections, is this safe?

i used a 32amp good quality junction box with large connections, is this safe?

without seeing your work no one can be absolutely sure
    however ,if all connections are tight(as dublin dilbert says)and it is wired how you say with the junction box as described everything would appear to be in order

Advertisement