Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A very dissapointing realisation.

• 19-10-2011 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey all,

I'm doing 6th year right now and really, I'm very annoyed with the amount of progress I've seen myself get in the last 3 years.

I could blame myself but it's not all my fault. After doing 5 years of French, I can't speak a sentence of the language, I don't know any of the questions the examiner will ask and I tried making sense of a paper, but really just couldn't. Languages really aren't my strong point but I'd atleast expect to be able to pass Ordinary level French after 5 years, but sadly, the truth is only the opposite.

Other subjects are ok other than Math. I'm in Ordinary level maths right now but we have barely any of the coursework fully covered. We got a new teacher this year and I thought she was going to cry when she really came to terms with how little we have done. Again I tried to do multiple exam papers but really I could only attain confidence on an average of 3 Questions out of 8 in just paper 1, only half what is needed to gain marks in the paper. I'm not going to lie, our teacher in 4th-5th year was an ok teacher but she couldn't control the class as needed. Barely anything was done about this just day in day out chaos in class with a minimal of work done.

Come June I don't know what I'll do. I'm going to have to put alot more work in though, especially on my own, maybe some grinds will be needed. I do worry for those who don't quite see the picture yet though. Let me put it into perspective for you.
    We redid a the chapters on statistics in Math for all of September. Stuff we had run through in 1st-2nd year and 4th year had to be done again. Now heres for the shocking part, the average results of the test were under 50%. Something that seemed as the easiest of math, the class was scraping passes on. I was the only one to get an A, but that worried me, because I only scraped it too, the test was simple, everyone should have got 90%+.

If you're in 6th year please leave a post on how you're doing. Having any difficulties to the extent of us?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

My stupid French teacher last year corrected lots of things as right when they were actually wrong, so now my grammar is full of silly mistakes I could esaily have fixed had she told me last year.

Chemistry we are so behind, we have all the hard parts of the course left to do.

Maths we won't finish, all we did last year was calculus, circle and line and algebra. So far this year we've done trig and matrices, but now we have all of probability,statistics,integration, geometry, series and I'm nearly sure something else to get done this year. Statistics alone is 115 pages :( Its a catastrophe.

Could you by any chance do the institute grinds at xmas? They're supposed to be superb and they're not that expensive (in comparison to getting grinds every week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The good news is, it's October, you have more time than you think to pick up on things. Best thing to do is start to prioritise. If you're having trouble in maths and your teacher isn't giving you the help you feel you need, it's time to take matters into your own hands. Go through a chapter on your own during a weekend and take it step by step. If you know someone in the family who has done Maths and still remembers the core concepts, they can help you out. With French, it really is a memory game.

Start testing yourself on the base verbs and know the endings so you're able to use verbs without difficulty. Once you have verbs down you can do a huge amount with the language. Don't translate stuff literally, try to think in French as opposed to changing phrases you try to come up with in English to French.

How many subjects are you doing? If you're doing more than 6 (likely) remember that only your best 6 are counted, so try to focus in on your best 6 as opposed to stretching yourself across all of the subjects.

It's best not to compare yourself with the class. Of course you need a yardstick to measure yourself by but you are you, so do the best you can. Again, you have a lot of time to pick up on things and do well, don't lose heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I'm aiming for 460 points in June, yet my motivation is at an all time low. Nevermind doing study, I'm not even doing my homework. Yet for some reason, I think it's okay? I don't know where I expect these points to come from but I still think that everything will work out. Deep down I know that if I don't start working soon I'll be kicking myself when I open the envelope in August and get 150 points but I just have NO motivation to start. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

My french teacher has been sick for 3 weeks, wont be back next week. She's also retiring after xmas. The sub teachers have been below standard! Panic attack??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DefyingGravity

Im in 6th year too and everybody in my year seems to be feeling the exact same as you!!We're all in the same boat for example my geog class have literally done nothing !!We're kind of screwed!It's the same for evryone maybe just try practicing some maths exam q's and stuff!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement