Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent Prices in Waterford City

• 19-10-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Have rent prices just exploded in the city?

Currently paying €640 for a two bedroom bungalow felt its a bit high so thought I might have a look around for something cheaper.

€675 Monthly for an apartment in Adelphi Quay. :eek: Really???????
    €730 Monthly for a house in Hilliview :rolleyes: - and its not the most up-to-date decor in the world.

When I was looking at places about 6-12 months ago apartments were coming out at about €450 - €550 per month.

Maybe its just the stuff on daft.ie but I thought these are crazy prices!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That seems dear to me given the times we live in. I haven't lived in town for nearly 4 years but a decent two bedroom flat used to be the bones of €700/750 a month.I wouldn't pay over €500 these days TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

By all accounts our government may be about to solve that, if the rumours of scrapping the rent allowance system, which is currently artificially inflating rental prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

wellboytoo wrote: »
    By all accounts our government may be about to solve that, if the rumours of scrapping the rent allowance system, which is currently artificially inflating rental prices.

They're hardly going to scrap it. I think they're just going to reduce the thresholds and/or minimum payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭what recession?

Just because they're asking for 750 a month doesn't mean its realistic, or that you have to pay it. If you want a house or apartment, offer what you want - doesn't cost anything to offer and the worst that can happen is they say no. Rental prices are always going down, there's probably a bit of action with good condition modernized houses in the city but the likes of Hillview probably aren't all that desirable at that price, so offer what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

That is BS at best, I live in city centre, my rent 2 years ago was 730 now it is 540... If you haggle you can get it down...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

merlante wrote: »
    They're hardly going to scrap it. I think they're just going to reduce the thresholds and/or minimum payments.

A complete scrapping is being discussed by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I live i the city centre and am paying 520 a month for a 2 bedroom. Most 2 bedrooms we looked at were around the 450-550 mark. Look around more, and don't just accept the price as it is, you're in the position of power in this market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

My approach is if a tenant cannot affoard the E650 rent i don´t want them in my property,that way i or my neighbour´s don´t have to deal with unemployed,useless smackhead´s anti social behavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

My approach is if a tenant cannot affoard the E650 rent i don´t want them in my property,that way i or my neighbour´s don´t have to deal with unemployed,useless smackhead´s anti social behavour.

I can afford €650. I can also afford €5 for a litre of milk but why bother when I can easily get it cheaper.

Better in my pocket than yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

hahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Oh sometimes I miss Waterford. I'm paying £975 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment over here in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Because anyone that can't afford e650 a month is automatically an unemployed smackhead, :rolleyes: what an arrogant attitude to have!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Terrible attitude to have.

How is a single person working on minimum wage supposed to afford 650 a month?

The way things are going lately, you'll have no one in your apartment if you don't drop the price, and you'll be stuck paying the mortgage on your apartment and your prime residence without the bonus of rent money coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I checked daft every day for at least three months and I just rented a three bedroom house in Hillview for €500 (Its only partly furnished though). If you keep checking you will see there are some more realistic deals to be got. And I'd definitely agree that if you see somewhere you like, offer whatever you think you can afford - its always worth a shot!

Advertisement